Can Georgia Tech win a National Championship with CPJ?

Can Georgia Tech win a national championship with Coach Paul Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 187 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.1%

• Total voters

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be a sidewalk fan of the University (sic) of Georgia. We were talking football and he said he didn't think that Tech could win a championship with CPJ in charge. He went on to comment that maybe Tech fans are fine with 8 or 9 wins a year but that he didn't think that was good enough.

I defended CPJ by bringing up the usual talking points about Tech itself being the limiting factor, not the offense we run. I also told him that I was happy with an average of 8 or 9 wins and that CPJ has exceeded that many wins a couple of times already.

Anyway, so I've been thinking about that conversation more than I should have. I am convinced that, indeed, Georgia Tech CAN win a national championship with CPJ in charge. It will take a little luck, but don't all champions not named Alabama have a little luck along the way? If we won the ACC with one loss, which I think is entirely possible, we should make the playoffs and then in a one game at a time scenario, I really like our chances.

Yes, the Kool-Aid is strong this morning. But I really think with just a few really good players at some key positions added to the players we normally recruit, in a year with good chemistry and a lot of experience on the field, we could do this. I think we could do it in 2018 if we land a couple of studs by then.

What say ye?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be a sidewalk fan of the University (sic) of Georgia. We were talking football and he said he didn't think that Tech could win a championship with CPJ in charge. He went on to comment that maybe Tech fans are fine with 8 or 9 wins a year but that he didn't think that was good enough.

I defended CPJ by bringing up the usual talking points about Tech itself being the limiting factor, not the offense we run. I also told him that I was happy with an average of 8 or 9 wins and that CPJ has exceeded that many wins a couple of times already.

Anyway, so I've been thinking about that conversation more than I should have. I am convinced that, indeed, Georgia Tech CAN win a national championship with CPJ in charge. It will take a little luck, but don't all champions not named Alabama have a little luck along the way? If we won the ACC with one loss, which I think is entirely possible, we should make the playoffs and then in a one game at a time scenario, I really like our chances.

Yes, the Kool-Aid is strong this morning. But I really think with just a few really good players at some key positions added to the players we normally recruit, in a year with good chemistry and a lot of experience on the field, we could do this. I think we could do it in 2018 if we land a couple of studs by then.

What say ye?
Yes they can , and you need to make better friends.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I voted yes, but it's with a caveat. We simply must have a higher commitment from the school administration. Success in football is a three headed monster, imo: the coach, the AD and the school administration. GT has many assets at it's disposal that go unused in the effort to be the best we can be in football. I think we have the right coach. The AD choice still remains to be seen, but the outlook is promising. The GT school administration has been the weak link. If they don't get on board in a big way, I highly doubt we see another MNC. So my "yes" vote is very conditional, but it's not due to the coach being wrong.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck

What say ye?

Yes it is possible.

Think back to 2014. We had three losses by a total of 13 points. 1 more TD against Duke, 1 more defensive stop against UNC, and 1 FG against FSU, we would have been undefeated and going to the playoff.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely possible, we just need a dominant OL to control clock, and an above average DL to slow down the inevitable 'Bama match up.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Something along these lines I was thinking about a couple of weeks ago is that if college football ever went to an 8 team playoff, it would help our chances tremendously. With so much of rankings still dependent on voters' perceptions, I think we have a much better chance of making an 8 team field than a 4 team field. I think most years we would have to be undefeated to make it to the first 4, and even them we might not if a lot of the SEC and whatever they call the Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State conference were involved.

Then with only one week between games, I think we might have a chance to pull it off.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
It's no fun when everyone agrees, so i voted No. :nailbiting:

It's not an impossibility, but think it's HIGHLY unlikely. I don't think CPJ is necessarily the issue, but I don't think the school currently has the commitment to football required to field a team that has the overall talent level to take it all the way. There are only a few programs that do year in and year out which is why you tend to see the same names in the BCS and playoff games.

Frankly, I'd rather win a few more ACC championships before I start worrying about the big one...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes... See Washington Huskies (2016). All you need to do is make the playoff.. then anything can happen. Washington put together a great season (lost a PAC12 game), but won their conference title...then made the playoff, and only needed to win 2 in a row to win it all. Here were their records in years leading up to 2016:
2015: 7-6
2014: 8-6
2013: 9-4
2012: 7-5

Many of us ignore our 2015 (3-9)... and rightly so... as an anomaly. Most teams that consistently put 7+ wins together in a P5 conference are capable of having the 'special' season (like UW in 2016) where you give yourselves the opportunity. Ga Tech can certainly win the ACC and have a "playoff resume" with this coach. But by definition...It ain't easy.

Also... when a UGA punk asks us if we're ever going to win a NC again (under this or any other coach)... that's RICH!! How many have they won (ever)...compared to us? ...and when was their last compared to us? Things simply have to "go your way"... especially for a program like ours. As long as each game starts off 0-0... we have a shot to win. Put together 10+ regular season wins and that conference title... most years, we're in the playoff... ok, now I'm repeating myself... I'm definitely telling you... there is a chance.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Doubtful, unless there is a much more serious commitment from the administration and fan base. I don't think its a CPJ issue. He does more with less better than anyone I've ever seen, but for us to even be in the playoff discussion, our defense needs to be light years better. We can scheme around not having NFL talent at every offensive position. Unfortunately you can't do that with defensive players. We're on defensive coordinator number three of the CPJ era and I've come to realize that you've either got NFL guys and are successful on defense or you don't and aren't. In order for us to get those guys, we've got to do a lot more than we currently do to entice them to play here.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can lightening strike a smaller tree standing alone in a field? Yes.

But, as many have already stated, when the Institute's Administration insists on building a lightening rod a short distance away, it makes it far less likely.

Like most mutt fans, it has NOTHING to do with CPJ or the option offense. Your friend probably still thinks the SEC is the best conference in college football despite all the evidence in 2016 to the contrary.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Although I voted yes, the stars have to align for any team outside of the usual culprits to win a NC. The odds favor the Bama's, FSU's, OhioSt 's, Clemson's, etc. Not because of coaching, but because of many other advantages!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yes it is possible.

Think back to 2014. We had three losses by a total of 13 points. 1 more TD against Duke, 1 more defensive stop against UNC, and 1 FG against FSU, we would have been undefeated and going to the playoff.
Very true but just as many plays, if gone the other way, we would be 6 and 6. The ball bounces play a big role in close competitive games. Great teams make their own luck or over come bad luck with players that over match their opponent or with depth to overcome injuries or as a team develop extra heart and desire to win. CPJ can win a natty with breaks and lack of injuries as in 2014 AND a much improved DL.

Name me another coach that could do better and be willing to take on the handicaps of Georgia Tech academics. Going into Spring Training, I think we are in pretty good shape to compete for ACCCG. Probably as good or better than we have ever been under CPJ but we need big improvement in the DL. Maybe also LBs but with improved DL play we should see improved LB play. We need to continue the improved OL play we saw during last half of 2016.

Having said that, the academics at Ga Tech don't allow the focus that other factory schools can allow. Mid terms seem to be a period where we stumble. Go Jackets THWG

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

What say ye?
With the present setup, no way Tech can reach the Anointed Four. You represent the majority of Tech fans in the fact that you're happy with 8 or 9 wins per year. You can't reach the promised land with that kind of record.