Can Georgia Tech win a National Championship with CPJ?

Can Georgia Tech win a national championship with Coach Paul Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 187 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.1%

• Total voters

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
I love the optimism. And I want to believe... But this day and age in CFB I just don't ever see it happening for us. Winning a MNC for GT would very likely mean no more than one loss in the season, then winning the ACCCG plus the semifinal and then the final. CPJ's system allows us to occasionally upset teams with superior athletes, but I just don't see us ever being able to out-system vastly physically superior, extremely well coached teams three games in a row. To put it in perspective, using next year's schedule as an example, that would mean losing only one to the likes of UT, UGA, VT, Miami, and Clemson, then either beating FSU or Clemson again, then beating two national juggernauts back-to-back like an Alabama and an Ohio State. We just don't have the horses and I don't think we ever will. I will be thrilled beyond words if we ever even made it to the playoff.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This game 45-21 BAMA

Yes. In a year when no one else scored more than 14 against them iirc.

It doesn't change the fact that you made an assertion about Bama's D vs a 1dimensional offense like ours, and I gave data on the other side.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys are referring to the best team Tech had in the past 27 years as a litmus test and that team STILL didn't even make the playoffs; didn't finish in the top 5. Forget all those, if this didn't happen or that didn't happen then we would have achieved this. Well guess what...they happened. A LOT has to change for Tech to be on the same level as these national powers in terms of image, finances, recruiting, etc. before Tech can seriously contend for a national championship, let alone win one. So forget about the question "Can Georgia Tech win a National Championship with CPJ?" As it stands, nobody's going to win one around here until having a National Championship program is an attitude that permeates through all levels of the institute. And I'm not "trolling" I'm just giving my honest opinion.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
It would be have been hard to see us winning one with the old system but with a CF playoff its very possible. If we win our conference (which we have done recently) we have a good chance of getting into the playoff. In the playoff we go against teams scrambling to prep for the Triple option giving us an advantage. Obviously still a hard road to the national championship but plausible.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Pretty much any team in the playoffs has had multiple games where they barely pulled out a W. It really just comes down to being able to pull games out in the clutch sometimes. You see it year in and year out with new teams constantly pulling out narrow victories for a great record. The problem is, if you're one of these teams and not in the SEC, OSU, or Michigan it's hard to impress the playoff committee who relies on how good you look instead of record/who you beat.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure it could happen, in the opinion of this sidewalk fan. And particularly, as long as Tech (1) does not enjoy football-factory recruiting standards, (2) has a relatively limited range of majors compares to other universities, and (3) requires some calculus regardless of major (and yes, I'm aware that the core calc requirement is not challenging for math-oriented folks on this board, but a majority of folks shy away from it completely), it will take an offensive contrarian such as CPJ to do it.

As others have written, the Hill must show some greater appreciation and institutional support before a title shot comes around. And since we're all speculating here, I believe it would take a minimum eight-team playoff for Tech to do it; I want the other half of the bracket to have to play two "conventional" offenses before facing Tech's offense in the title game -- better that Tech's eventual opponent, when taking that month to prepare to prep for the playoffs, has to prep for two offenses other than Tech, not just one. The less time our title game opponent has to prep for the option attack, the better for us. :) And here's hoping the conventional offense run by most other teams continues to be one with the QB in a pistol or shotgun, rather than under-center. Our defense will be far more accustomed to facing conventional "spread" offenses than other teams' defenses will be used to facing our offense.

Otherwise, pretty much the same stuff would apply to Tech as would apply to any title contender -- a sufficient number of players with enough physical and mental ability, esprit de corps, etc., and it's possible that the stars could align one particular year for Tech to pull it off. Think of Coastal Carolina winning the NCAA baseball title in 2016 (paraphrasing their coach, "We didn't have the better players, but we had the better team"); NC State upsetting Houston in '83 and Villanova upsetting Georgetown for the basketball title in '85. You get the drift.

Tech winning the title in the next decade? Likely, no; possible, yes.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

That question was already addressed in this thread, but let me follow up.

There seems to be a misunderstanding among some fans about the nature of the game of football. While there are special team units for particular plays, most of the game pits offenses against defenses. So, the final outcome of the game (who won) will typically depends primarily on the play of both units, offense and defense, not just offense.

So, this question you ask seems to not understand this fairly basic point about the game because I was addressing only the issue of a Tech-like offense against a Saban Bama defense. I was not addressing the question of which team (both units) was better on that day. Do you understand now why your question doesn't really apply to what I was discussing with @ATL1?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ, his approach and his offense, give us the best chance to be in the picture since the late 90s. We are a beast to prepare for. In CPJ year 2, we were 10-1 (IIRC) before the stinkbomb against Georgia. Two years later, we started 6-0 and were 7-2 before the loss at home to Va Tech. A lot of things have to go right but I think the blueprint is better with PJ.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I voted yes, but it's with a caveat. We simply must have a higher commitment from the school administration. Success in football is a three headed monster, imo: the coach, the AD and the school administration. GT has many assets at it's disposal that go unused in the effort to be the best we can be in football. I think we have the right coach. The AD choice still remains to be seen, but the outlook is promising. The GT school administration has been the weak link. If they don't get on board in a big way, I highly doubt we see another MNC. So my "yes" vote is very conditional, but it's not due to the coach being wrong.

I voted "NO" for the exact same reason (the caveat that is) the current recruiting and cultural environment just about shuts out any team but the factories and even a few of them. I do not belive the current administration is willing to make the sacrifices it would take to increase substantially the recruiting budget, loosen to a degree the curriculum restrictions, and devote more resources to hiring assistant coaches and support staff needed to compete. If there were a seismic shift in the college football landscape such as a developmental NFL league that would serve as a minor league for players who are not interested in an education then that would be different.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree the question is wrong. I dont think there is any coach who can win one here today. Sorry. But I just dont. Things need to change asap for that to happen. The level of building a talent pool and consecutive years of getting the talent that is needed tech simply cannot do.

30 years ago was different. For me today. No way.

Under the current conditions, Bear Bryant in his prime could not win a national championship here.

Not against an Alabama no.
Nick makes you one dimensional, he takes away one of your strong attributes. Sense GT only have one that's its really good at then I would say no.

Plus GT would need to improve its commitment from the administration.
Then why did he struggle with Ga Southern when they played them, and why did taking away Clemson's pretty strong running game not help them? Tech had a pretty balanced O this year, and it is seldom quite a one-dimensional as some like to think.