Camp Confidential - 8/9

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain switch is odd. I mean...he had a ton of trouble in pass blocking at RT now we putting him at the blind side vs the other teams best pass rusher??? Really...not sure I am totally seeing this. Maybe the RS Frs isn't ready yet....so this is the less of 2 evils???
The only thing that made sense to me when I saw this was that BC moves to his left faster and better than to his right. I don't think the issue was ever Brian's ability to block, I think the problem was he was too slow to keep the DE or OLB from going around him on the edge. Someone more knowledgable with O-Line play last year can comment further, but I don't remember BC getting beaten by a bull rush.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The only thing that made sense to me when I saw this was that BC moves to his left faster and better than to his right. I don't think the issue was ever Brian's ability to block, I think the problem was he was too slow to keep the DE or OLB from going around him on the edge. Someone more knowledgable with O-Line play last year can comment further, but I don't remember BC getting beaten by a bull rush.
See that's what confuses me. He'll be getting the faster WDE playing at LT where as playing RT he would have more of a bull rush to stop.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Really surprised O'Reilly and Burden are practicing at OG.Even with Brown out ,it would seem they would do better to learn OT.
Based on the scrimmage reports,the Oline must be struggling if the Off went 3 straight times 3 and out at one point.Not a good sign as we know the Dline is not a dominator.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Really surprised O'Reilly and Burden are practicing at OG.Even with Brown out ,it would seem they would do better to learn OT.
Based on the scrimmage reports,the Oline must be struggling if the Off went 3 straight times 3 and out at one point.Not a good sign as we know the Dline is not a dominator.

Those three-straight three-and-outs were with Matthew Jordan under center, 2nd team O vs. 2nd team D. I wouldn't draw that out to anything definitive on the O-Line.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
From everything I've been reading, Tony Zenon has earned his way to a starter's role, especially with his ability catching passes from Justin (and Byerly it appears). I also seem to recall that Zenon is only A-Backs that has enough speed to keep up with Justin as they run the option on the outside.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree. SD will be used in goaline situations (never TO) and 3rd and long (never TO).
He'll probably never get the ball from BB.

fwiw, Synjyn was saying the opposite in the interview, i.e. that coach was saying that they wanted to get the ball into his hands

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Chamberlain switch is odd. I mean...he had a ton of trouble in pass blocking at RT now we putting him at the blind side vs the other teams best pass rusher??? Really...not sure I am totally seeing this. Maybe the RS Frs isn't ready yet....so this is the less of 2 evils???

Justin won't get a lot of straight drop back passes this year. The coaches want to get him out of the pocket where he has a run/pass option because it forces the defense to have to choose which to defend.

And JT is much, much more comfortable throwing while running to his right. What this move means is that the majority of your passes will be roll outs to the right this year if JT is in the game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rolling out also keeps you from being blind sided and hurt. You can be hit on the run, but that is better than being smashed while setting up to throw. Also he can see better on the roll out.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll see Synjyn in short yardage situations, either under center or at Bback. I think CPJ is tired of not making those 3rd and 4th and inches.

"

"Back to the topic: With JT at QB, I am concerned with short yardage, where we have to pick up a yard or two. We have had problems with 3rd and long no matter who the QB is. I am talking about 3rd and 7 or 8."

If that is indeed a problem, then we could move Thomas to wr, Smelter to ab, and Days to qb. We could use this alignment to establish a tendency in the early games and break the tendency at a crucial time later in the schedule.
augustabuzz, Apr 4, 2014Report
#42+ QuoteReply

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Justin won't get a lot of straight drop back passes this year. The coaches want to get him out of the pocket where he has a run/pass option because it forces the defense to have to choose which to defend.

And JT is much, much more comfortable throwing while running to his right. What this move means is that the majority of your passes will be roll outs to the right this year if JT is in the game.

I sure hope this is the case. JT is a great fit for the role. Given our pass blocking on straight drop backs, this makes so much sense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Narrows the offense a ton. D doesnt have to play backside pass much. Man the left side and roll covg to the right. That will show on tape. I hope you are wrong for the sake of gt

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
fwiw, Synjyn was saying the opposite in the interview, i.e. that coach was saying that they wanted to get the ball into his hands

That's also what I think I have heard CPJ say several times. He is too much of a playmaker not to have on the field. This is a good problem to have - we have more depth than we used to have.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
3 plays.... roll run, roll pass, Aback hand off reverse. I am sure there are other plays that can burn you back on the other side on roll out.s

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Agree. SD will be used in goaline situations (never TO) and 3rd and long (never TO).
He'll probably never get the ball from BB.

What about SD at BB, AB 1 orbits around to be a lead blocker AB 2 blocks on that side as well. Then JT could option with the SD on the edge with lead blockers. I guess with JT speed you might be able to just let SD or any BB also be a lead blocker as well just to get JT to the edge.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

It will be interesting to see. I agree that JT is very adept at buying time rolling to the right. He is much better than going left, at least last year anyway. Also, with his height it might be easier to see down field.