Camp Confidential - 8/9

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Things posted are based off what I am hearing from my sources.

Depth Chart - Two Deep

QB - Justin Thomas, Tim Byerly
A Back - Deon Hill, Synjyn Days
A Back - Tony Zenon, Charles Perkins
B Back - Zach Laskey, Matt Connors
WR - Michael Summers, Darren Waller
WR - DeAndre Smelter, Ricky Jeune
LT - Bryan Chamberlain, Jake Stickler
LG - Trey Braun, Shamire Devine
C - Thomas O' Reily, Freddie Burden
RG - Shaq Mason, Gary Brown
RT - Chris Griffin, Trey Klock

Notes

* They flipped the tackles around today...which surprised me.

* Gary Brown has had a strong camp...he has a toe injury which is why he was held out today. Not sure how bad it is yet.

* O'Reily and Burden have been battling it out...Still a open competition but from what I hear O'Reily has the upper hand at this moment.

* Don't be surprised to see Synjyn Days get a lot more action at B Back.

* I was told that Broderick Snoddy has not had a good camp for those what have been asking about him.

* Andrew Marshall is doing well at center.

* We think we have a solid three man rotation at WR...Jeune is pushing to make it 4.

* Freddie Burden has been playing some guard as well.

Defense - 4-2-5

WDE - Keshun Freeman, Tyler Merriweather
DT - Adam Gotsis, Francis Kallon
DT - Shawn Green, Pat Gamble
SDE - Tyler Stargel, Rod Chungong
LB - Quayshawn Nealy, PJ Davis
LB - Tyler Marcordes, Tremayne McNair
CB - DJ White, Lance Austin
CB - Lynn Griffin, Chris Milton
Nickel - Demond Smith, D Noble
S - Isaiah Johnson, John Marvin
S - Jamal Golden, Corey Griffin

* The Austin twins keep earning good reviews..Interested to see it works out between them and Step.

* I have been heaping praise on Noble...I look for him to hit his stride this season. Hard working player who loves to hit.

* We have good depth at LB...The four mentioned above and then Harell, Hankins, Allen, etc.

* Coaches want to get PJ Davis more involved...So expect him to be on the field more this season. They love the intensity he brings.

* I expect to see multiple formations from us on defense this year. Pretty much everything across the board IMO.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Eric... Do you feel any better about the season?

Anything strike you as different from camp 2014 than camp 2013?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Eric, I thought Gary Brown might come in and impress. Good to see him bring it!

Has Step hit a little bit of a wall or has Lance just looked that good?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL, I was thinking that if I were Eric, I'd ninja edit and make some of these posts look foolish. Then I scrolled up to see that he had done just that!

EDIT: Oh, but then he admitted it. dang

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric... Do you feel any better about the season?

Anything strike you as different from camp 2014 than camp 2013?

I feel about the same.

This year is all about back to the roots...way different in that area. Feels like everyone is in a comfort zone I guess...Seems a little more high intensity as well.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Depth Chart - Two Deep

Notes

* Gary Brown has had a strong camp...he has a toe injury which is why he was held out today. Not sure how bad it is yet.

* O'Reily and Burden have been battling it out...Still a open competition but from what I hear O'Reily has the upper hand at this moment.

* I was told that Broderick Snoddy has not had a good camp for those what have been asking about him.

* We think we have a solid three man rotation at WR...Jeune is pushing to make it 4.

Defense - 4-2-5

SDE - Tyler Stargler, Rod Chungong

* The Austin twins keep earning good reviews..Interested to see it works out between them and Step.

* I have been heaping praise on Noble...I look for him to hit his stride this season. Hard working player who loves to hit.

* We have good depth at LB...The four mentioned above and then Harell, Hankins, Allen, etc.

* Coaches want to get PJ Davis more involved...So expect him to be on the field more this season. They love the intensity he brings.

* I expect to see multiple formations from us on defense this year. Pretty much everything across the board IMO.

FYI With Mason and Brown out O'Reilly played some RG today as well as center. Noble as you suggested caused some havoc on D today. I really like the move of Merriweather to WDE and Chungong to SDE. I believe these players along with Freeman and Stargel are in the right place based on their skills. The D is really developing some pad pop. On D it usually took me Camp time and 3 games to find the best 11 and get them in the right positions.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Depth Chart - Two Deep

Notes

Defense - 4-2-5

SDE - Tyler Stargler, Rod Chungong

Eric thanks you do a great job

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit to being surprised at Days not being a starter. Has he looked bad, or have Zenon and Hill just looked great?

In CPJ's scheme I do not think starters at AB mean much. Maybe coach is throwing Zenon (good camp and good Spring) and Hill (big comeback) a short term reward or a bone to keep up their enthusiasm. Days has a seemingly special relationship with coach and is self motivating. We know Days can catch and block and is durable. Hill and Zenon are looking good right now. Come game time coach will rotate ABs anyway, and on his discretion, and likely without any depth chart influence.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Is the switch at Tackle due to Chamberlain being more comfortable there? It makes no sense to me usually your better tackle is at LT.

You can also count me as someone not a fan of Days at BB. Just feels like he's only there due to blocking ability and I think it hinders the dive option. I'm assuming they are trying to groom him for 3rd and long situations which sounds like they aren't fully comfortable with Laskey's blocking.

Is it sad I'm upset we have too many playmakers at LB? I want them all on the girls at the same time. Maybe we can run the 1-5-5.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Is the switch at Tackle due to Chamberlain being more comfortable there? It makes no sense to me usually your better tackle is at LT.

You can also count me as someone not a fan of Days at BB. Just feels like he's only there due to blocking ability and I think it hinders the dive option. I'm assuming they are trying to groom him for 3rd and long situations which sounds like they aren't fully comfortable with Laskey's blocking.

Is it sad I'm upset we have too many playmakers at LB? I want them all on the girls at the same time. Maybe we can run the 1-5-5.
Think of the trick play options with Days at B Back...

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
"I'll admit to being surprised at Days not being a starter. Has he looked bad, or have Zenon and Hill just looked great?"

Days is the starter .. Tony z is the back up