Calvin Tosses a Jab(?) at CPJ ???

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last year Duke averaged 26.5 pts/game and scored 43 on us. Uva averaged 22.5 and scored 40. Our O crapped the bed a bit vs Duke, but cmon.

If we can pass on our terms and not because we have to hurry up and score, we should be alright.

When our O us in rhythm, our WR do fine.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
yep - we are obviously an option-running team first, passing-second team to anyone paying any attention. Learning how to block is nice but not NFL prep. Nor is running nothing but post routes, which is the only play our WRs get to run. That and the Sideline Bomb. No quick-outs, no crossing patterns. Very vanilla.

After “we are obviously an option running team first......Everything you said here is wrong

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
How good a blocker was Calvin Johnson? May be that he wouldn't block well enough to play for us now anyway! Different skill set needed now than when he was here. Maybe he wouldn't want us now, but on the other hand we maybe wouldn't want him. WR's with his skill set mostly don't like to block, and many just won't!!!
This is about like saying, I would not want Jennifer Garner if she did not know how to hitch up a plow.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How good a blocker was Calvin Johnson? May be that he wouldn't block well enough to play for us now anyway! Different skill set needed now than when he was here. Maybe he wouldn't want us now, but on the other hand we maybe wouldn't want him. WR's with his skill set mostly don't like to block, and many just won't!!!
Couldn't block well enough to play for Tech now? In the first place he actually did block, and in the second, Johnson was the once-in-a-lifetime recruit you'd go after if it cost you every other receiver in the class and all of them on your current roster. That'd be like having Ruth, Gehrig, Combs, Lazzeri and Meusel on the roster and Miller Huggins playing station-to-station.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He doesn’t allow them to inferact with the current players or be involved with the team.
Now, I do not know whether this is true. I do not believe it is. It would be insane since any recruit wants to talk to current players, and being told he couldn't would send him fleeing off campus, as it should. But if you think it is true, I sure would like to see your source and/or evidence, because that to me is a fireable position.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Last year Duke averaged 26.5 pts/game and scored 43 on us. Uva averaged 22.5 and scored 40. Our O crapped the bed a bit vs Duke, but cmon.

UVA had a kick off returned for a TD, a kick off returned for 57 yards setting up a FG, an INT setting up a TD on a short field, another FG set up from a -7 yard drive and mediocre punt, and 2 points from a safety. All in all UVA gained 23 point without having to drive more than 30 yards. Meanwhile the defense also got a pick 6 for us, so no, the defense wasn't the problem for us in that game.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think there a other variables here. First, GT is a hard school. A lot of NFL dreaming kids want a school that is easy / don't have to attend. Second, CPJ's offense is only attractive when it fires on all cylinders. An option ran wrong is UGLY... Just plain ugly... and last.... Most high level recruits are going to go to schools that their agents tell them to go to.

That leaves low 4 star and a ton of 3 star recruits. Now... As unattractive as WR is at GT, wouldn't RB be a dream?? Just saying.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
CJ left after the 2006 season. PJ was hired before the 2008 season. Their paths never crossed at GT.

Thats right. I had it in my head CJ left with a year on the table when CPJ was hired.

Maybe there is a rule about having too many Johnsons in the locker room at one time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
At my age I should not be up drinking beer, and watching baseball this late at night. I also should not have been reading this as I was draining that last beer of the night. But at least my nose got a good rinsing, but darn I was going to put that shirt back on in the morning. Oh well, I've got other shirts.
But... Are the other shirts clean?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
yep - we are obviously an option-running team first, passing-second team to anyone paying any attention. Learning how to block is nice but not NFL prep. Nor is running nothing but post routes, which is the only play our WRs get to run. That and the Sideline Bomb. No quick-outs, no crossing patterns. Very vanilla.
Trolling or don't know how it really works?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Now... As unattractive as WR is at GT, wouldn't RB be a dream?? Just saying.

Why? Our BBack isn't really featured more than most, and the Aback spot isn't attracting anyone with so few carries. The spot that it helps our recruiting is like with Thomas, running QBs that would be playing Db at other places.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I kind of wonder whether if CJ had come back whether CPJ would be our coach....Probably would've won 9+ games in 2009 with CJ (although debatable whether we would've beat UGA, probably not). I think a year of Taylor Bennett throwing to CJ would've taken some of the burden off of Choice.

I don't know that DRad could've fired him, especially since it appeared Gailey finally figured out how to recruit GT (and what he needed in the classroom).

And CJ was known for his blocking. We were a run heavy team with Gailey.