1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Calvin Tosses a Jab(?) at CPJ ???

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by awbuzz, Jun 21, 2018.

1. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Q: If you were a high-school kid coming out, do you think Georgia Tech is the place you’d end up again?

A: Right now, they don’t really throw the ball. So if you’re trying to make plays in the receiving game, 10 throws a game, that’s not going to really (do it). Unless they’re throwing all 10 to you, like they did “Bay Bay” (former All-American receiver Demaryius Thomas).

I'd take that answer as a "NO".

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...t-calvin-johnson-part/RTO1DiPKKcQ0vwUL4dGY8M/

2. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Oh, and it looks like he'll be moving back to the state.
    Q: Being a father, being married and having more time with family, I imagine that’s the biggest joy in your life.
    A: Being able to be around my family, being down here, spending more time down here in Georgia until I move back down. Being around the family – that’s time you can’t replace.

Q: Do you have a plan to move back down here?
    A: This is home. We’re just looking for a home.

Q: Do you know where you’d want to live?
    A: We’ve narrowed it down, but it just all depends on what we find, what works out, the school system. So many things that play into it.

Q: It’s funny, having a kid, you’re thinking not just for yourself.
    A: Exactly. You’ve got to think about those things.

3. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Its funny - he probably spitballed that, but the actual number was 10.5 throws per game last year.

In fairness to us, I would say part of the reason we only throw 13-14 times a game over the last few years is because we don't have a Calvin Johnson.

4. tkh74

tkh74 Ramblin' Wreck

How good a blocker was Calvin Johnson? May be that he wouldn't block well enough to play for us now anyway! Different skill set needed now than when he was here. Maybe he wouldn't want us now, but on the other hand we maybe wouldn't want him. WR's with his skill set mostly don't like to block, and many just won't!!!

pinglett likes this.
  5. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Do you realize you just said this out loud?

GaTech4ever, Eli, TooTall and 25 others like this.
  6. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

LOL

COJacket likes this.
  7. 4shotB

4shotB Moderator Staff Member

I just looked up CJ's stats at Tech. He averaged 4.7 receptions per game and 77 ypg. I believe he could have done pretty much the same (maybe better in ypg) at GT under CPJ. If #21 is on the field and we throw it just 10 times per game, it's a safe assumption to think he's getting 100% (or pretty close) of the balls thrown to him. If we can complete at just 47% (which has admittedly and sadly been a tall task for us due to a host of reasons) there's your 4.7 catches per game. I think CJ's statement underscores the difficulty in recruiting the elite receivers...the perception of Paul's offense can cloud one's judgement...even a guy as intelligent as Calvin was/is.

8. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Banned

an offense that wouldn't want Megatron is a stupid offense.

COJacket, Silk3 and GT14 like this.
  9. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Banned

we completed 43 passes last year. Perception is reality.

GT14 likes this.
  10. tmhunter52

tmhunter52 Helluva Engineer

Having a true, gifted dual QB will make a big difference in game plans and, then, public and recruit perception.

11. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Having a true dual threat offense would be bigger.

12. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

Would love to hear him answer some questions about playing with Reggie Ball

13. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

This right here is Paul Johnson's burner account

GTdragons, GT_05, knoxjacket and 4 others like this.
  14. TheSilasSonRising

TheSilasSonRising Helluva Engineer

Why, after 10 years, are we suddenly going to pull this QB out our ***?

And if we do, why after 10 years, would it change game planning?

And why, after 10 years, are the public & recruits going to suddenly turn stupid?

GT14, Gold1, tkh74 and 1 other person like this.
  15. tkh74

tkh74 Ramblin' Wreck

At my age I should not be up drinking beer, and watching baseball this late at night. I also should not have been reading this as I was draining that last beer of the night. But at least my nose got a good rinsing, but darn I was going to put that shirt back on in the morning. Oh well, I've got other shirts.

16. jgtengineer

jgtengineer Helluva Engineer

Johnson chose to come to tech for family reasons , and he qualified with the bay bay comment. In reality he'd see probably more targets in this offense because he'd be one on one, just like Thomas.

TechPreacher and Whiskey_Clear like this.
  17. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

This isn't anything new. He's been pretty honest that he probably would not have chosen GT if we were running this offense during the time he was being recruited. He's stated it in multiple interviews over the years. Calvin Johnson isn't taking a dig at anyone...he's just being honest. I'm sure CPJ would have appreciated Calvin being honest with him during the recruiting process and not wasting the staff's time. GT was lucky to have Calvin play for us when he did...things have changed since then so it's silly to make it sound like Calvin is being negative towards CPJ.

BTW, he isn't the only former player to have said this, some of the players that have echoed Calvin's sentiments RE CPJ's offense actually played for CPJ.

We're heading into CPJ's 10th season now. I'm pretty sure we know by now that this offense doesn't attract certain offensive talent. It is what it is...

GTdragons, GT_05, knoxjacket and 5 others like this.
  18. Coloradojacket

Coloradojacket Helluva Engineer

Several thoughts. We would throw more to CJ if he was in single coverage. We would throw more if we had a QB that was more accurate.....JT5. We would run more to CJs side because he would probably draw double coverage.

19. Ash

Ash Helluva Engineer

CJ left for the NFL when CPJ came in with his run heavy offense. That tells you a lot, no need to speculate.

20. sidewalkGTfan

sidewalkGTfan Helluva Engineer

CJ left after the 2006 season. PJ was hired before the 2008 season. Their paths never crossed at GT.