Calvin Tosses a Jab(?) at CPJ ???

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Q: If you were a high-school kid coming out, do you think Georgia Tech is the place you’d end up again?

A: Right now, they don’t really throw the ball. So if you’re trying to make plays in the receiving game, 10 throws a game, that’s not going to really (do it). Unless they’re throwing all 10 to you, like they did “Bay Bay” (former All-American receiver Demaryius Thomas).

I'd take that answer as a "NO".

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...t-calvin-johnson-part/RTO1DiPKKcQ0vwUL4dGY8M/

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Oh, and it looks like he'll be moving back to the state.
Q: Being a father, being married and having more time with family, I imagine that’s the biggest joy in your life.
A: Being able to be around my family, being down here, spending more time down here in Georgia until I move back down. Being around the family – that’s time you can’t replace.

Q: Do you have a plan to move back down here?
A: This is home. We’re just looking for a home.

Q: Do you know where you’d want to live?
A: We’ve narrowed it down, but it just all depends on what we find, what works out, the school system. So many things that play into it.

Q: It’s funny, having a kid, you’re thinking not just for yourself.
A: Exactly. You’ve got to think about those things.

Deleted member 2897

Q: If you were a high-school kid coming out, do you think Georgia Tech is the place you’d end up again?

A: Right now, they don’t really throw the ball. So if you’re trying to make plays in the receiving game, 10 throws a game, that’s not going to really (do it). Unless they’re throwing all 10 to you, like they did “Bay Bay” (former All-American receiver Demaryius Thomas).

I'd take that answer as a "NO".

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...t-calvin-johnson-part/RTO1DiPKKcQ0vwUL4dGY8M/

Its funny - he probably spitballed that, but the actual number was 10.5 throws per game last year.

In fairness to us, I would say part of the reason we only throw 13-14 times a game over the last few years is because we don't have a Calvin Johnson.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
How good a blocker was Calvin Johnson? May be that he wouldn't block well enough to play for us now anyway! Different skill set needed now than when he was here. Maybe he wouldn't want us now, but on the other hand we maybe wouldn't want him. WR's with his skill set mostly don't like to block, and many just won't!!!

Deleted member 2897

How good a blocker was Calvin Johnson? May be that he wouldn't block well enough to play for us now anyway! Different skill set needed now than when he was here. Maybe he wouldn't want us now, but on the other hand we maybe wouldn't want him. WR's with his skill set mostly don't like to block, and many just won't!!!

Do you realize you just said this out loud?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Its funny - he probably spitballed that, but the actual number was 10.5 throws per game last year.

In fairness to us, I would say part of the reason we only throw 13-14 times a game over the last few years is because we don't have a Calvin Johnson.

I just looked up CJ's stats at Tech. He averaged 4.7 receptions per game and 77 ypg. I believe he could have done pretty much the same (maybe better in ypg) at GT under CPJ. If #21 is on the field and we throw it just 10 times per game, it's a safe assumption to think he's getting 100% (or pretty close) of the balls thrown to him. If we can complete at just 47% (which has admittedly and sadly been a tall task for us due to a host of reasons) there's your 4.7 catches per game. I think CJ's statement underscores the difficulty in recruiting the elite receivers...the perception of Paul's offense can cloud one's judgement...even a guy as intelligent as Calvin was/is.

an offense that wouldn't want Megatron is a stupid offense.

I just looked up CJ's stats at Tech. He averaged 4.7 receptions per game and 77 ypg. I believe he could have done pretty much the same (maybe better in ypg) at GT under CPJ. If #21 is on the field and we throw it just 10 times per game, it's a safe assumption to think he's getting 100% (or pretty close) of the balls thrown to him. If we can complete at just 47% (which has admittedly and sadly been a tall task for us due to a host of reasons) there's your 4.7 catches per game. I think CJ's statement underscores the difficulty in recruiting the elite receivers...the perception of Paul's offense can cloud one's judgement...even a guy as intelligent as Calvin was/is.

we completed 43 passes last year. Perception is reality.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Having a true, gifted dual QB will make a big difference in game plans and, then, public and recruit perception.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
This right here is Paul Johnson's burner account

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
Why, after 10 years, are we suddenly going to pull this QB out our ***?

And if we do, why after 10 years, would it change game planning?

And why, after 10 years, are the public & recruits going to suddenly turn stupid?
At my age I should not be up drinking beer, and watching baseball this late at night. I also should not have been reading this as I was draining that last beer of the night. But at least my nose got a good rinsing, but darn I was going to put that shirt back on in the morning. Oh well, I've got other shirts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This isn't anything new. He's been pretty honest that he probably would not have chosen GT if we were running this offense during the time he was being recruited. He's stated it in multiple interviews over the years. Calvin Johnson isn't taking a dig at anyone...he's just being honest. I'm sure CPJ would have appreciated Calvin being honest with him during the recruiting process and not wasting the staff's time. GT was lucky to have Calvin play for us when he did...things have changed since then so it's silly to make it sound like Calvin is being negative towards CPJ.

BTW, he isn't the only former player to have said this, some of the players that have echoed Calvin's sentiments RE CPJ's offense actually played for CPJ.

We're heading into CPJ's 10th season now. I'm pretty sure we know by now that this offense doesn't attract certain offensive talent. It is what it is...

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
CJ left for the NFL when CPJ came in with his run heavy offense. That tells you a lot, no need to speculate.