Caesars Over/Under Win Totals for 2020

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I am high on our recruiting class' potential.

That said, anyone thinking they will have a meaningful impact next year under normal circumstances, let alone without the benefit of spring practice for the early enrollees, is being unrealistic, imo. That includes Gibbs, who is electric with the ball in his hands, but like any freshman needs reps to play a part in keeping our QB off the ground. Just one example.

Similarly, OLs need time and reps to gel. While we upgraded our OL with experienced transfers, we're again relying on a fall practice to smooth out all of the system intricacies, communication, who plays where, etc. I think this group could come together by mid to end of year, provided we have continuity that we didn't have last year.

On the other hand, everyone already on the roster should make a leap year 1 to year 2, just by virtue of reps, time and confidence. Knock on wood, we won't get decimated by injuries on the OL and DL. But our roster is at best middle of the pack when compared to the 12 game schedule next year. I believe it to be in the bottom 1/3 based on the combination of raw talent, fit and experience, before we even talk about coaching and X's and O's.

Progress that is at or above expectations would mean that we should expect more wins against a similar strength of schedule as last year's. But you cannot ignore the leap we're making in the schedule this year. Next year's schedule will negate 1-2 wins of ordinary progress, imo.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it is. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hell that we play either football or basketball next year. The reason is that there will probably be a resurgence in COVID-19 when we let down on present measures, even a little bit. Without a vaccine widely applied - but what about the anti-vax'ers - the crowds would be so scarce that doing the games wouldn't make much sense. This is especially the case for football, with the substantial travel of fans involved. Who would go to away games? Or to bowls? Nobody over 50, I'd say.

But … if we did I think the prediction of 3 wins is about right. Everybody wants more, but I wouldn't expect a winning season until - now - 2022. The upside of this is that a) all the players get another year of eligibility and b) another year of strength building and c) another year of maturity. In 2022, teams will be playing with rosters full of 22 year olds. This will make a difference.

Deleted member 2897

I would say under for VippySu and Dah U.
I would take an over for Pitt and Uva
I hate to say it ... but us averaging 18 points a game with a turnstile defense...three may be generous.

And if you look at our offense, we averaged even less than that last year (we had a special teams TD, defensive TD, safety, etc.)

herb

Helluva Engineer
At 2.5 you have to load up on the over. Just my opinion, but they knew last year was a write off, or at least approached it that way with the offense, but a 3 win year followed by a 2 win year would, uhm, not be good. They are too smart not to sincerely adapt the team to its strengths. Who knows the extra reps in the first year may make the strength what they want to do.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
They will play may not be many fans in the Stadium but they will not write off the 2020 season. The Pro sports are working out ways to play some are strange ways but they are working it out.

I highly doubt that any major sports return prior to the advent of a vaccine. Think about all the staff required to have a football, basketball, baseball game happen. That's a lot of people.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
They will play may not be many fans in the Stadium but they will not write off the 2020 season. The Pro sports are working out ways to play some are strange ways but they are working it out.
Start the season in August and play conference games and maybe one OOC 9 total. Get the season over before the second wave of Covid in late October. Play the bowls if everything clears up. That’s my suggestion at least

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you are crazy. Yes, we stunk it up on offense last year. We couldn’t block and we sure as heck couldn’t pass until the second half of the season and even that was sporadic. And we still won 3 games! We lost just about no one of consequence during this off season. We lost a lot last off season including the death of Adams and then we lost Lee early in the year and Ezzard and Clayton weren’t deemed eligible. Our kickers had to be the worst in the country.

With our additions (even the young freshman), the loss of no one, and other teams losing some talent we will be just fine. Our QB play can’t be any worse. Our blocking can’t get any worse. Our kicking game can’t get any worse. If we are just average we’ll win several games in the ACC. And if we find a QB who has some ability to see the field we’ll take a huge step forward. Our RB’s and WR’s are the best group we’ve had in years and our OLine can’t be any worse. Last year was a cluster and it started in the spring with the death of Adams and with injury after injury and substandard play at the QB position and we hit the bottom. But, a redshirt QB and a true freshman WR gave us some foreshadowing. I can’t wait. And if you don’t think Mason, Griffin, and Gibbs won’t give DC’s nightmares you are nuts. All 3 will play in the NFL. And Brown is an NFL player as well.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
We are going to be very young, but I think we will have the most talent we have had since 2009. The schedule is brutal, but I think we can win 4 or 5, or possibly 6.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Atlantic
Clemson 12 wins O
BC 3 wins U
FSU 7 wins U
Louisville 7 wins U
NCST 5 wins O
Syracuse 5 wins U
Wake 4 wins U
Coastal
Duke 5 wins U