BYU - Navy - GT

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
My neighbor once compared teachers to editors: said they had the easiest jobs in the world because obviously anybody could do them.
In other news every single kid in my first period passed their test today. First time ever I've had that happen. See? Easy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My neighbor once compared teachers to editors: said they had the easiest jobs in the world because obviously anybody could do them.
And your neighbor is an authority on education? You know what they say about opinions.... There's an old saying that goes "walk a mile in my shoes..."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And your neighbor is an authority on education? You know what they say about opinions.... There's an old saying that goes "walk a mile in my shoes..."
Actually his daughter is an elementary teacher. He was referring to the constant criticism and suggestions on how to do both from people who couldn't do either. You know, like us here on the board.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm telling you. Slants would solve our problems.
We've thrown a few. It's not like coach has never heard of a slant. There must be something about that route and our personnel that make it a low percentage play and other options more attractive. If it was wide open and an easy toss with a clear passing lane, don't you think we'd be doing it?

I also think coach is against speaking out on it because he'd being throwing players under the bus and that's not something he's willing to do just to satisfy us nosey fans.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you think about it, our offense draws the defense towards the LOS which is counterproductive to the short passing game. When the defense creeps in, we need to beat them over the top or fake deep, dig and come back like Smelter used to do so well. Unfortunately, if the corner doesn't respect you deep, that negates the come back. Running for your life from the snap makes it difficult to complete any route, short or long.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We've thrown a few. It's not like coach has never heard of a slant. There must be something about that route and our personnel that make it a low percentage play and other options more attractive. If it was wide open and an easy toss with a clear passing lane, don't you think we'd be doing it?

I also think coach is against speaking out on it because he'd being throwing players under the bus and that's not something he's willing to do just to satisfy us nosey fans.

There are some posting on this blog who would disagree with you and claim he is always throwing the players under the bus.:confused:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have this beautiful route combo where the wr crosses infront of the slot receiver who slips out toward the sideline. If the defender overplays the slot, he turns it up the sideline. This worked beautifully in the FSU game on 4th and 5 that allowed us to tie the game. Without that play, we don't even get to the final play heroics.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Southern looking for new coach. Could we lose some assistants?
Feel bad for GSU that while it has the reputation of developing coaches, sure has to keep finding new ones. I like Fritz's offense and he will do well at Tulane. Just not sure what he gains, except he is getting older for a move and NO is not a bad place to settle in. I am originally from Georgia but never saw the attraction of Statesboro. Bohannon from KSU, maybe? Bryan Cook maybe, though I don't know his background. Or maybe Ivin Jasper at Navy will finally get his shot to move up from OC. He also has creative twists to the spread option.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sewak may be an interesting choice to return as HC of GS

He's not going back to Southern. They ran him off after winning 2 conference championships in 4 years. Lost in 1-AA semis his first year and then lost in the 1st round in 2004 and 2005. "Not enough postseason wins." was the primary reason. Then they hired Van Gorder and went 3-8...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's not going back to Southern. They ran him off after winning 2 conference championships in 4 years. Lost in 1-AA semis his first year and then lost in the 1st round in 2004 and 2005. "Not enough postseason wins." was the primary reason. Then they hired Van Gorder and went 3-8...
A piece in the Times, I think, today, about all the golden parachutes for coaches, did an analysis of firings and hirings. Found that with a rare exception at a factory, replacements did no better and often worse than the fired coach. Sewak/van Gorder fit that profile, don't they?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm telling you. Slants would solve our problems.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449939967.637124.jpg

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If you think about it, our offense draws the defense towards the LOS which is counterproductive to the short passing game. When the defense creeps in, we need to beat them over the top or fake deep, dig and come back like Smelter used to do so well. Unfortunately, if the corner doesn't respect you deep, that negates the come back. Running for your life from the snap makes it difficult to complete any route, short or long.

Many offenses utilize short passing routes when combating aggressive blitzing 8 men in the box defenses.