BYU - Navy - GT

crazy4GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking more like, Coach Johnson goes back to Navy. I think he was pretty happy there, I'm not sure he is at GT.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would think that him going back to Navy would be considered a step back and fodder for those who think (loudly) that he is not talented enough to be our HC. I don't see him quitting on Our Team!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Haha. I don't think they will be poaching anyone from us.

If anything, I think Navy would poach Monken from Army. Irvin Jasper (Navy OC) would be another strong choice.

I don't see Navy going after Lamar Owens, Al Preston, Ray Rychleski, or Mike Sewak. Those are position coaches. Monken has been a head coach for a while now, and Jasper has been OC at Navy for a while.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm really hoping when the time comes and CPJ retires or moves on we hire Ken N. This offense is or a similar form of it is our best shot to compete with the "big boys". Where ever Ken N is coaching at that time I hope MBob or whomever is running the athletic Dept takes a serious look at him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Navy OC Ivin Jasper would be the logical choice to succeed CKN. I believe he's the one that calls the plays for Navy and he's added his own twist to the offense which has been working well.

Beyond that, it's a toss up. Would have to think Navy stays with the CPJ spread option as it has been good to Navy since CPJ got there. The only problem with that are all the logical choices are heading their own programs right now. (CPJ - GT, Monken - Army, Bohanon - KSU, CKN - BYI if he goes). Bohanon would be an intriguing hire given what he's done with KSU his first year, but all signs pretty much point to Jasper if CKN does leave.

Another guy to look at is our very own Bryan Cook. Probably in the 2nd/3rd tier of coaches Navy would consider.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'd be surprised if Coach N moved to BYU. He has a position that fits like a glove now and he has the troops he needs to continue to be a success. If he went to BYU, he'd be up against a very different football culture ("Run the ball? How strange! How old fashioned!") and a major re-shaping effort. Why bother, now that Navy has a conference connection and every chance to regain its place in our national football picture?

But that will probably depend on the money. He's young and has a family. If the cash is on the table and Navy can't match it, he'll go.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'd be surprised if Coach N moved to BYU. He has a position that fits like a glove now and he has the sailors he needs to continue to be a success. If he went to BYU, he'd be up against a very different football culture ("Run the ball? How strange! How old fashioned!") and a major re-shaping effort. Why bother, now that Navy has a conference connection and every chance to regain its place in our national football picture?

But that will probably depend on the money. He's young and has a family. If the cash is on the table and Navy can't match it, he'll go.

fify

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@takethepoints

I'm not sure how much BYU's offense they ran, but it was not that dissimilar from GT. It's a heavy run oriented spread, very physical. Took GT to the wood shed twice.