Byerly to Bback

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
As much as I like Byerly it seems far-fetched to me that either he or Thomas in the game would get the same results, but with different skills. I admit to rubbing it in to my one remaining Georgia friend, and to doggedly watching all or parts of Clemson, Georgia, FSU and MSU over and over -- as long as we still win, I am all in to replay -- and it is not possible. Thomas is in fact a special player, whilst the rest are good to very good players. Moreover I seem to be kind of alone in thinking Thomas is a very good passer, and if his ball wobbles a bit time to time it still arrives in the right place and on time, with velocity. He so dominates with his legs that his arm gets short shrift sometimes, and even Tech fans fall into the trap of completion percentage without acknowledging that a lot of those stats come from West Coast offense QB's as they dink it down the field. (As much as I dislike Winston of FSU, I have to grudgingly admit he is a great college passer, and unless he gets arrested for murder he will be a No. 1 pick. If that happens, No. 2. Remember, it is the NFL.)

There would be a drop-off, I think, and looking closely we'll see some things taken out of the offense with a replacement on the field.
Oh believe me I don't short change JTS passing abilities. He's a good to very good passer IMO. Im just saying that Byerly FITS this offense. He would make things happen if he were leading this team. It would just be done in a more brutal way. Super efficient, Ball control type style. Plus the really good players let their teammates make them look good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
without acknowledging that a lot of those stats come from West Coast offense QB's as they dink it down the field.
CPJ's contends that in his flex bone formation a lot of quick tosses and pitches are the equivalent of the short passing game of run and shoot offenses.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's contends that in his flex bone formation a lot of quick tosses and pitches are the equivalent of the short passing game of run and shoot offenses.
You know, given that he ran that offense at Hawaii for June Jones, I believe, he should know what he's talking about. I once enjoyed watching Texas Tech move it by throwing until I grew weary of three yards and a puff of smoke. (Besides which I have seen, I believe, a couple of pitches from Thomas that looked suspiciously like foward passes ... a step past the LOS.

booga

Georgia Tech Fan
You know, given that he ran that offense at Hawaii for June Jones, I believe, he should know what he's talking about. I once enjoyed watching Texas Tech move it by throwing until I grew weary of three yards and a puff of smoke. (Besides which I have seen, I believe, a couple of pitches from Thomas that looked suspiciously like foward passes ... a step past the LOS.

No, he ran that offense for Bob Wagner, from 1987-1994. Paul Johnson was the head coach at Ga Southern and Navy while June Jones was at Hawaii, from 1999-2007.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been slammed for this on the other sites, but I think Byerly at BB makes a lot of sense - almost too much not to try out.

Short version - Byerly has shown himself to be a good runner and tough between the tackles. We lose pretty much all utility if he is a backup QB. The main points are, what if JT gets banged up or his helmet comes off? Matthew Jordan could probably fill in as need be and we could bring Byerly back to QB if it was a long term thing. I don't know the difference between Jordan and Byerly at QB enough to make an informed analysis of the differences between the two.

But if Byerly shows he's got the potential to get meaningful (100+) carries at BB next year, that's an immediate need that he fills, rather than a speculative need in case JT goes down. We return 0 snaps at BB. Presumably Byerly has some knowledge of the position through his practice experience at QB. Given that Byerly seems to be a good talent, I'd like to get him on the field. Otherwise he goes to waste. Plus, if JT gets hurt I don't know that Byerly is good enough to save the season (maybe he is, who knows).

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
MJ is working hard to become #2 and is doing extra reps and workouts.
I didn't ask about TB moving to BB.
You need the best 11 players on the field and if that puts TB at BB, so be it. He may not be the fastest but he is tough.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've been slammed for this on the other sites, but I think Byerly at BB makes a lot of sense - almost too much not to try out.

Short version - Byerly has shown himself to be a good runner and tough between the tackles. We lose pretty much all utility if he is a backup QB. The main points are, what if JT gets banged up or his helmet comes off? Matthew Jordan could probably fill in as need be and we could bring Byerly back to QB if it was a long term thing. I don't know the difference between Jordan and Byerly at QB enough to make an informed analysis of the differences between the two.

But if Byerly shows he's got the potential to get meaningful (100+) carries at BB next year, that's an immediate need that he fills, rather than a speculative need in case JT goes down. We return 0 snaps at BB. Presumably Byerly has some knowledge of the position through his practice experience at QB. Given that Byerly seems to be a good talent, I'd like to get him on the field. Otherwise he goes to waste. Plus, if JT gets hurt I don't know that Byerly is good enough to save the season (maybe he is, who knows).
If Byerly is still here, and I have no clue where he stands relative to graduating in the spring, and Jordan cannot beat him out on the two-deep, then it may say something about Jordan as well as Byerly. We do tend to overlook in all our posts about QB play that in those dark years Johnson had neither a QB nor a B-back. Hard to run the thing missing both of them. Workmanlike, I guess you could describe B-back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone really going to tell me they want Byerly taking carried at BB over Marcus Marshall or MLD? Excited about our talent right now
I think the learning curve is longer than CPJ suggested. If one or both of the true frosh get carries, you can bet they are running a special limited package. They have to prove they can hold onto the football first, block second and be quick through the mesh, third. It took Days forever to trust the play and be quick through the mesh.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the learning curve is longer than CPJ suggested. If one or both of the true frosh get carries, you can bet they are running a special limited package. They have to prove they can hold onto the football first, block second and be quick through the mesh, third. It took Days forever to trust the play and be quick through the mesh.
And I am not sure Sims ever did learn that. But no reason for all of us to turn into nervous nellies; we have backs coming in who are far more natural for this position than Sims, Days or Laskey were at that age.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
One other thing I've thought about regarding this possible move is that TB doesn't have any more experience as the receiver of the mesh than any of the new backs coming in. While he has distributed the ball in offense, to me, it's not the same giving or keeping the ball from the QB position. At this stage CJ has much more experience in the the B back role than TB would get in spring/summer. TB's a good runner but he's been a QB his entire football life. I just don't see where moving him is an advantage.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One other thing I've thought about regarding this possible move is that TB doesn't have any more experience as the receiver of the mesh than any of the new backs coming in. While he has distributed the ball in offense, to me, it's not the same giving or keeping the ball from the QB position. At this stage CJ has much more experience in the the B back role than TB would get in spring/summer. TB's a good runner but he's been a QB his entire football life. I just don't see where moving him is an advantage.
Yes, but his understanding of the offense far exceeds any other potential Bback. That understanding allows him to trust the play that is called and should help him read the play as it develops. He's already shown a great ability to do that from the qb position.

That said, CJ still has a leg up, no pun intended (well.... actually, it was ;)). TB would find himself in the same position at Bback as he is at Qback.... number 2.

images

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but his understanding of the offense far exceeds any other potential Bback. That understanding allows him to trust the play that is called and should help him read the play as it develops. He's already shown a great ability to do that from the qb position.

I agree and my comment wasn't directed at that as much as the mechanics involved going from one side of the equation to the other. I suspect CJ through his reps over the last year has come to trust the QBs decision otherwise PJ wouldn't have come so close to pulling his RS. Quaide will get a large number of reps in spring/summer as well. To me TB's just too valuable to move at this stage of his career. Again, he's a QB and has been a QB opposed to the guy toting the ball for all his playing career going back to pee wee years.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is anyone really going to tell me they want Byerly taking carried at BB over Marcus Marshall or MLD? Excited about our talent right now

I'll do it. Byerly is 6'0, 212. In his career at GT he's rushed 63 times for 323 yards and 9 TDs.

Marcus Marshall is 5'9, 205. Hasn't had a college practice yet.

Mikell Lands-Davis is 5'11, 208. Hasn't had a college practice yet.

Sure, Marshall and MLD may have more "talent," but that doesn't equate to having better results on the field NEXT YEAR, and neither Marshall or MLD has played a college snap. Marshall and MLD also have a redshirt available, while Byerly doesn't. It would be better to get whatever value we can get out of Byerly this year, and redshirt both Marshall and MLD.

Not to mention there is no requirement that a single BB get all the carries at that position, so carries can easily be split. Last year Laskey had 171 carries, Days had 157, and Connors had 21. I want to see the best 2-3 guys get BB carries. Certainly that should be Leggett, since he is the only one who has practiced at BB and CPJ seemed impressed by his talent. Say he gets 150 carries. Of the remaining 200 carries, I see no reason why Byerly and MLD couldn't split those 100-100, or 120-80, etc. Assuming MLD shows he is ready for college ball.

And look, if MLD or Marshall comes in and blows everyone away then I agree there is no need for Byerly to play BB. In all likelihood though, 22/23 year old Byerly will outperform 17/18 year old MLD/Marshall.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree its not the same thing, but there is definitely a benefit to being the guy handing the ball off in the mesh toward understanding the mesh. Our incoming freshmen have not handed off or received in a mesh situation. Byerly at least has a firm understanding of how the ball is supposed to be delivered in the mesh, when it is supposed to be taken away, and when it is supposed to be given. He's been working on understanding the offense for 3, going on 4 years. Marshall and MLD aren't going to be able to make up that experience gap based on "talent." Agree with you on Leggett, but the question isn't will Leggett get his share - instead to me the question is who will he split carries with? I think the slight favorite in that discussion may be TB, although I'd expect it to be pretty even with others and by no means a majority.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree and my comment wasn't directed at that as much as the mechanics involved going from one side of the equation to the other. I suspect CJ through his reps over the last year has come to trust the QBs decision otherwise PJ wouldn't have come so close to pulling his RS. Quaide will get a large number of reps in spring/summer as well. To me TB's just too valuable to move at this stage of his career. Again, he's a QB and has been a QB opposed to the guy toting the ball for all his playing career going back to pee wee years.

Too valuable sitting on the bench? If you take out the duke game (which was a loss anyways), Byerly was 2-3 for 23 yards and a TD, with 27 carries for 152 yards and 2 TDs against P5 schools. How much value would synjyn days have provided last year as a backup QB? Would you rather have Byerly sitting on the bench in case JT gets hurt, or would you rather have someone who carries 100 times for 500 yards and 10 TDs?