Byerly to Bback

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Did Einstein steel this from "Occam's razor?"

Occam's razor advocates the simplest solution, which often times leads to an oversimplification and a false conclusion. Einstein's razor is a quote that advocates for the "simplest possible solution, but no simpler," essentially cautioning against oversimplification.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
First off let me preface by saying I realize and acknowledge that it is extremely difficult to evenly compare the limited data we have on TB v JfN. That said, here we go with my best effort.

Josh was, above all else, a warrior. I would say that on paper Timmy takes the trophy, but the intangibles Josh brought are really hard to ignore. That said, TB also steps up and commands the offense with a sense of dominance that made you feel confident 4th and goal on the 2 was going our way.

The other element is the supporting cast around him, JfN and TB excel with the right blend of Wide outs, A&B Backs and OL, and the reality is their requirements aren't for the same.

If I was forced to pick my favorite, it is JfN (due mainly to the many memories of him bulldozing and ball snatching us back to victory) but if I had to pick the best QB to win with a team like we had this year it is Timmy for the ability to pass.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
i usually agree with your opinion, but were wayyyyyyy far apart on this one. JfN was and is the toughest son of a ***** ive seen play QB for us. that means something to me. i feel like people dont remember how he would put the team on his back and just will his team to win in crunch time. did he have accuracy problems? sure. did he make the perfect read every time? nah. but he was a gladiator at the QB position, and fought for life every play. would only put him behind J-Smoove. and even then i still miss the bad *** motherf***** approach Josh brought to the position.
(end of rant, back to discussion)
Byerly reminds me of a heavier running version of Jabo Shaw.
I would too would take TB over JN. But has been said the sample size for judging TB is small. JN was the warrior etc and stepped in at changing of the guard and had to adjust to a new offense and did a great job. He did not beat UGA and FSU twice by himself. As as pointed out in other previous threads there was talent around him. Wasn't JN the 2010 QB? Also as tough as JN was, Jaybo was called upon more than once to take over for more than a few plays. Jaybo was used more than any of the backups to TW or JT5.

JN was the man available at the time and did yeoman duty and inspired the team to win, when with new staff and offense, it could have been much worse. Brian Gregory type worse.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
That you've ever seen? Ever, or just those you saw in person?
Was born in 95 and been going to tech games since 6 months old because I was completely brainwashed, (I'm a triple tech legacy). Even going back and watching film I haven't seen anybody with the punishing running style and grit of Nesbit. Not to discredit Tim, but In crunch time I'll take Nesbit all day long, because he would find a way to win and bowl over people on the way there.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
i usually agree with your opinion, but were wayyyyyyy far apart on this one. JfN was and is the toughest son of a ***** ive seen play QB for us. that means something to me. i feel like people dont remember how he would put the team on his back and just will his team to win in crunch time. did he have accuracy problems? sure. did he make the perfect read every time? nah. but he was a gladiator at the QB position, and fought for life every play. would only put him behind J-Smoove. and even then i still miss the bad *** motherf***** approach Josh brought to the position.
(end of rant, back to discussion)
Exactly and he wins. That has to count for something. How soon they forget!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Was born in 95 and been going to tech games since 6 months old because I was completely brainwashed, (I'm a triple tech legacy). Even going back and watching film I haven't seen anybody with the punishing running style and grit of Nesbit. Not to discredit Tim, but In crunch time I'll take Nesbit all day long, because he would find a way to win and bowl over people on the way there.

Love the comparison -- my heart tells me I'd rather have Nesbitt too, because I'm partial to big, bruising option QBs.

That said, in 2 years I think Thomas will cement himself as the best QB CPJ has had. He takes the offense to another level of execution because of his fluidity. Thomas probably wouldn't get blown out or minimized by a more athletic team in a bowl game, because he is constantly moving and there's no wasted motion. With Nesbitt the offense was a little shaky in that regard, which is fine vs. ordinary defenses but gives superior talent just enough reaction time to snuff you out.

Of course, essentially the entire offense under Nesbitt had been recruited for another system, so maybe the "clunky"ness at times during that era was a symptom of trying to teach bigger, slower linemen and orthodox RB's how to run the Flex for the first time.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Put the kid at B-Back and let him play. He's now 22 years old and weighs a good 220. He will be a 5 th year senior and has intimate knowledge of the offense and every single time we get to see him he plays lights out. He is good enough that nobody here worries if he has to come in and play. Anybody remember the Duke game last year? Did it look like the moment was too big for the kid? I've been watching CPJ and his teams since Tracy Ham was a freshman and his QB's NEVER get hurt. It's time to play Byerly anywhere he fits AND let him be the backup QB.

Joshua Nesbitt says "Ouch".

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
TB is probably more impt than some of our starters. If JT gets nicked up... I believe there will be zero dropoff. They have different Skill sets but... both would be very successful in this system. JfN was a mauler and could put the entire team on his back and will them to a win. I don't want to move the guy to another position for any reason. I hate that he didn't get here the same time TW took over instead of when JT took over. He would have kept us playing at a higher level IMO. Let's just be grateful that we have 2 awesome athletes playing QB

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Occam's razor advocates the simplest solution, which often times leads to an oversimplification and a false conclusion. Einstein's razor is a quote that advocates for the "simplest possible solution, but no simpler," essentially cautioning against oversimplification.
I just wondered if he "borrowed" the concept and then put his spin on it.
Einstein is supposed to have said, "If a concept in physics is too complicated to explain simply then you do not understand the concept well enough."

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
Bylerly can take touches in both positions, he is a smart guy and could excel at both. Could be the next Synjyn. Out of the freshman quarterbacks, someone is going to step up quickly especially since this offense will not be completely new to them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Bylerly can take touches in both positions, he is a smart guy and could excel at both. Could be the next Synjyn. Out of the freshman quarterbacks, someone is going to step up quickly especially since this offense will not be completely new to them.
Mat Jordan has a helluva head start on any of our incoming frosh. We don't even know if one of them will ever play another down.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would too would take TB over JN. But has been said the sample size for judging TB is small. JN was the warrior etc and stepped in at changing of the guard and had to adjust to a new offense and did a great job. He did not beat UGA and FSU twice by himself. As as pointed out in other previous threads there was talent around him. Wasn't JN the 2010 QB? Also as tough as JN was, Jaybo was called upon more than once to take over for more than a few plays. Jaybo was used more than any of the backups to TW or JT5.

JN was the man available at the time and did yeoman duty and inspired the team to win, when with new staff and offense, it could have been much worse. Brian Gregory type worse.
Low blow.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
TB is probably more impt than some of our starters. If JT gets nicked up... I believe there will be zero dropoff. They have different Skill sets but... both would be very successful in this system. JfN was a mauler and could put the entire team on his back and will them to a win. I don't want to move the guy to another position for any reason. I hate that he didn't get here the same time TW took over instead of when JT took over. He would have kept us playing at a higher level IMO. Let's just be grateful that we have 2 awesome athletes playing QB
As much as I like Byerly it seems far-fetched to me that either he or Thomas in the game would get the same results, but with different skills. I admit to rubbing it in to my one remaining Georgia friend, and to doggedly watching all or parts of Clemson, Georgia, FSU and MSU over and over -- as long as we still win, I am all in to replay -- and it is not possible. Thomas is in fact a special player, whilst the rest are good to very good players. Moreover I seem to be kind of alone in thinking Thomas is a very good passer, and if his ball wobbles a bit time to time it still arrives in the right place and on time, with velocity. He so dominates with his legs that his arm gets short shrift sometimes, and even Tech fans fall into the trap of completion percentage without acknowledging that a lot of those stats come from West Coast offense QB's as they dink it down the field. (As much as I dislike Winston of FSU, I have to grudgingly admit he is a great college passer, and unless he gets arrested for murder he will be a No. 1 pick. If that happens, No. 2. Remember, it is the NFL.)

There would be a drop-off, I think, and looking closely we'll see some things taken out of the offense with a replacement on the field.