Butt Hurt at VT

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am kind of curious if Bud Foster thinks he has some kind of weakness on his defense. He played a completely different scheme from what he's played the past 2-3 years against us.
That is what I was trying to say in that thread the other day. I didn't expect him to, not with number 5 under center. It would have been suicide to send as many players as he did the last couple of seasons. You gotta contain when there is a guy like JT taking snaps on the other side. I thought VT played well on D and had a good plan, albeit different.

Wrecker1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Blah, blah, blah, we beat ourselves. GIT is not that good. Their QB is not a good passer. Their wideouts are not good. Blah, blah, blah, GIT is average. We were the better team. GIT did not beat us; we beat ourselves. My favorite of all: "Our defense held GT under 400 yards." Excuses, justifications, rationalizations, defensive rants, calls for firings, superficial explanations, and defeated resignation. It is not schadenfreude when you are the instrument for the misfortune, but that perfectly describes my feelings.

Wrecker1990

Georgia Tech Fan
There was a bad coach name of Beamer,
Whose sole claim of fame was special teamer,
He tried to block kicks,
With his sad bag of tricks,
But was soon just exposed as a dreamer.

See Frank. See Bud. See Frank and Bud.
See Georgia Tech. Frank and Bud cry and whine.
Cry, cry, cry. Whine, whine, whine.
Georgia Tech chop blocks. Cry, whine, cry.
See the high horse. See Frank and Bud climb on the high horse. Climb, climb, climb.

See VPI offense. See VPI chop block. Chop, chop, chop. "Ow," goes the knee.
Ow, ow, ow. See Frank and Bud rationalize. Rationalize, Frank and Bud, rationalize. What high horse?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One of their posters said:
This game could have easily been a blow out.

But it's the same daggum story every year. Defense plays good enough to win but the offense stinks. I thought this was the year that it would all come together. I was so wrong it is not funny. Not sure what's going on in Brewer's head but he's not seeing the field at all.

I guess he did not see the two touchdowns that we left on the field with big passes and did not consider that crap fumble recovery TD by Brewer to be as lucky as I did. Throw in the junk penalty on Hill that erased another one and the margin of victory could have been even bigger.
This guy got it right too. Tech has one touchdown called back on a fluke penalty and gives VPI another touchdown on a fluke fumble recovery. Tech could have won this one by by 17 points.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That is what I was trying to say in that thread the other day. I didn't expect him to, not with number 5 under center. It would have been suicide to send as many players as he did the last couple of seasons. You gotta contain when there is a guy like JT taking snaps on the other side. I thought VT played well on D and had a good plan, albeit different.

Agreed. His game plan this year seemed to be to force us to win in the middle, whereas in the past, he has forced us to try and win on the edges. A huge difference this year was the WR play by Smelter against the corners. I haven't watched the game again to look for it, but I would bet Smelters play helped to loosen up the middle by drawing a safety back to coverage. Normally his corners have been able to shut down our WRs and allow the safeties to cheat up in the box. Add to that JT and his speed and it was game over. Had we played clean I think we win this one going away.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Stat of the day: Last time VT lost back-to-back home games -- 1995.
That is the thing exactly. A loss at home to ECU (clearly a good team) coming off a big road win at OSU (another really hard place to get a win) was a "tough" loss. But to follow it up with that kind of scatter-brained performance (penalties galore) and even squander such unbelievable "luck" plays to lose back to back at home . . . that was a bad loss for them. Not a fluke win for Tech at all though. It was a game where if Tech had the same QB but as a redshirt senior they could have beat VT by 21 or more points. Hence another reason that from VT's perspective this was a bad loss for them.