Bright spots...

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The only bright spot I could see is that our guys did not quit. I think James will settle down and only get better going forward but honestly, I do not see another win in this team for this year except possibly Virginia Tech. Remember when the "battle of the Techs" was almost always for the Coastal Division? Sad to see what has happened to two proud programs in such a short time.
Virginia Tech has fallen back to the lowly level they were in the 1970s

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
We are running a very vanilla offense. There is nothing creative with this OC. We aren't dominant enough to be so unimaginative. This looks like a high school play book. Very disappointed in what I have seen so far.
Hard to be creative when the QB is running for his life on every play. We may see 5 true freshmen starting on the OL next year. The ones we have now were recruited for their diving ability.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Hard to be creative when the QB is running for his life on every play. We may see 5 true freshmen starting on the OL next year. The ones we have now were recruited for their diving ability.

This coaching staff inherited over 20 offensive linemen, and you're saying that none of those players could be coached up by this coaching staff? These guys came from a wide variety of backgrounds, and not a single one was recruited for their "diving ability". But you think 5 true freshmen linemen are going to swoop in and start making a difference in D1 football? Seriously? 18 year old offensive linemen who haven't even been in a college strength training program? If the conversion from 3O to spread is so "insurmountable" as some people say, how big is the transition from high school to D1 ACC football for an offensive lineman? Have you ever even played football before? Any sport? So when it doesn't happen, is next year's excuse going to be "the O-line is really young, but wait 2 more years, 3 more years, 4 more years?"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What’s gotten lost in this whole thing is how well the defense has been playing. They gave up 17 and scored 2 yesterday. I’ll take that every game for the next 7 years if you develop even a moderately successful offense to go along with it.

It was still nearly 2ppd (1.89, 17/9) which is ave against a pwr 5 off.

Don't get me wrong. It is the ave D we were hoping to pair with CPJ's O, but it's not yet a good D.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This coaching staff inherited over 20 offensive linemen, and you're saying that none of those players could be coached up by this coaching staff? These guys came from a wide variety of backgrounds, and not a single one was recruited for their "diving ability". But you think 5 true freshmen linemen are going to swoop in and start making a difference in D1 football? Seriously? 18 year old offensive linemen who haven't even been in a college strength training program? If the conversion from 3O to spread is so "insurmountable" as some people say, how big is the transition from high school to D1 ACC football for an offensive lineman? Have you ever even played football before? Any sport? So when it doesn't happen, is next year's excuse going to be "the O-line is really young, but wait 2 more years, 3 more years, 4 more years?"

yep, Mike Maye was a 3-4 star OL for a top program coming in and has not played.So the idea that TRUE FR are going to help much is ludicrous.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This coaching staff inherited over 20 offensive linemen, and you're saying that none of those players could be coached up by this coaching staff? These guys came from a wide variety of backgrounds, and not a single one was recruited for their "diving ability".

You have higher expectations of a coach than I do. Our OL line coach was good (dare I say "elite") enough to work for Saban. As CPJ used to say, physical superiority cancels out all theories. That is a bad, bad OL for this system. (Check out their offer sheet and the injuries have not helped). If Coach Key had me, you and 3 other randomly selected posters out on the field, we would not be effective, no matter how much technique we were taught. Our DL, LB's and QB's are in a similar position, Our pieces don't fit, And if you change the system to fit the pieces, then you are back to square one and should of just brought in Monken or similar.

Whether we like it or not, this WILL take 3 years. We can resist that and, as @ilovetheoption says, hurt our program in the long run.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D: Good secondary. Good effort and tackling.
O: Center snapping better, some good QB runs and passes, some good WR catches.
ST: Punting.
Liver: Good I don't drink as much when we aren't competitive. From experience, awful to combine a loss you care about with a hangover.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
A QB FINALLY showing some separation from the other 2 and signs of life in Pnode's offense.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
It was still nearly 2ppd (1.89, 17/9) which is ave against a pwr 5 off.

Don't get me wrong. It is the ave D we were hoping to pair with CPJ's O, but it's not yet a good D.

I’d agree it’s an average defense, and that’s a step up. I’d say it’s above average on pass defense and below average on run defense, and I’m hopeful that some of the players coming in next year with the return of Jahaziel Lee will help on run defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk