Brenton Cox

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I read an article about his dismissal and the only thing that was mentioned that could be a reason was the issue with weed. I found it interesting that, if that is the reason, it took them this long to dismiss him, and it just happened to coincide with him being downgraded to running with the 3rd string.

I don't think a weed possession charge is gonna get you kicked off the team in Athens. He was a contributor last year and still young. Who knows. Was he definitely kicked off? If it applies, I'm happy to be in the business of giving second chances when there are clear boundaries established and enforced for conduct on our team.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok let's be honest, weed is EXTREMELY common in college now a days. It's hard to NOT find it tbh, the football kids are just under a microscope for the most part. If this guy is a good kid then I say we give him a shot. Ain't nearly as bad for you as alcohol, and is a hell of a lot better than tobacco.

Aside from whatever determining source you have—one is illegal the other is not. Make the right choice.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say this. I've heard good and bad things. At the moment the bad out weigh the good. I hear lack of effort, had the 5 star disease. Thinking a ranking gave him 1st string. Can he be an asset? YES. Do I think he possibly needs an attitude adjustment? YES.

If he can come in here and bust his @$$, show that he is humble and will work on every down. Then I am all for him. If he comes in with a ton of talent but thinks playing time will be easy because we have only 1 other 5 star on defense then I say, no. The other 5 star is Clayton

I think you’ve nailed it, re his situation. And no problem here with a second chance on committed intent.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The reason for him leaving is what is important. If he was removed from the team for disciplinary reasons then do we really want someone that EVEN the DWAGs kicked off the team. If he was dissatisfied with his situation there and left on his own then it would be the decision of our coaches and admissions to take him IF he wanted to come to Tech.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Real question.

In this kind of situation (if we are actually interested in him) why would uGA staff give us any information at all? I’ve recruited people (in business) who worked for other companies and the norm is to give start and end dates. Last title. That’s kinda it.

Just seems like a potential lawsuit if details were discussed about the kid, in any situation. Adding a rivalry and I wonder how much they’d want to share at all with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
I hate twitter. It has ruined decency. Sometimes people aren’t ready for technology. Twitter is the perfect example of this.

Twitter is a utopia compared to some places, even some that have been around longer.

It’s a symptom, but it’s more of a place where the problem is obvious.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Real question.

In this kind of situation (if we are actually interested in him) why would uGA staff give us any information at all? I’ve recruited people (in business) who worked for other companies and the norm is to give start and end dates. Last title. That’s kinda it.

Just seems like a potential lawsuit if details were discussed about the kid, in any situation. Adding a rivalry and I wonder how much they’d want to share at all with us.

I think, perhaps, because coaches are in a big fraternity.

For us, it is a diversion / sport / outside of work activity.

For coaches, it is a job and their opponents now could be their boss next year.

If you are not on the up & up, you will get a rep that follows you. Obviously this is different from trying to “help” the opposition.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The coaches are big boys. They get paid to make choices. Why is there any questioning their judgment at this point? They have no track record to judge off of. Maybe we should just give them a chance?

If this kid’s an issue, I’m sure they’ll figure it out. If he had a non-terminal issue, like he was smoking a doobie with the coaches daughter, I’m sure they’d figure that out as well.

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
He has talent. As a freshman he played in all but 1 game for UGA and he started the Sugar Bowl on a team with a lot of talent. He’s also loaded with attitude it is said. He was dismissed for ‘team rules violations’ and not the weed. He had a 1 game suspension coming for that but that was it. There’s been lots of talk about the work ethic and butting heads with the coaches but who knows. Most at UGA boards think Auburn might be the location, they seem to take a lot of UGA dismissals. In the end not a good end result for UGA to lose a third 5 star this off season to the portal/dismissal but sometimes it’s better for the body to cut off the cancer I suppose.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If my perception of the attitude of SEC athletes is correct, he would consider the ACC a step down and GT as a big step down. If he was suspended for grades, I doubt he’d do any better at Tech. Unless he has to be close to home, I would expect him to land somewhere else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If my perception of the attitude of SEC athletes is correct, he would consider the ACC a step down and GT as a big step down. If he was suspended for grades, I doubt he’d do any better at Tech. Unless he has to be close to home, I would expect him to land somewhere else.

He wasn't kicked off for grades.