Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
If it were as offensive coordinator then that would make sense as it would be a promotion...I find it odd he would move to be OL coach though. Who knows though.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Did it say anything about Saban or O'Leary when he left those jobs? People move around a lot in that profession. (Not saying I believe the rumors fwiw).
I'm sure Key would have his reasons but the move would not come without us asking questions on his way out. Cant recruit to USC like you can to his alma mater.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't believe the USC rumors, but I can imagine a scenario.

I could imagine Key being disillusioned with Tech and the talent level he's had. I assume he wants another shot at OC or HC. His reputation is as one of, if not the, best OL coach and a great recruiter. But he's presided over one of the worst OL in the country the past two seasons. Working in an offense that is one of the worst in the country. I also feel like the organizational chart is messy, he's supposedly AHC, but reports to Patenaude as OL Coach? If Patenaude were to get fired, would Key have a shot at OC if (presumably) his OL is a part of the offense performing poorly? Would the new OC want to be able to hire his own assistants?

Maybe not so much disillusioned with his friend CGC and what he's trying to do, but that the Tech OL job is a career dead end for him if he stays too long. I'd be surprised by a move to USCar. But not if he got an offer at somewhere like Clemson or to return to Bama.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see it. Especially at a project like USCe. Think it would take a lot for him to leave here. Certainly not anything below OC.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
SEC offensive line coaches early around $700k I think (+/-). It could be a little raise for him. But would also be a loss of title. And South Carolina is a mess right now, so he'd be starting over. If he took a job like that, it would be a very bad sign to me because it would imply he was wanting to jump ship.
Agree as well.
If Key were to leave I personally think we start thinking the "culture" isn't that great.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't think he would leave. You always listen, though. A little leverage never hurts, not that we can afford to give any raises right now.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We know, you should change your name to chicken little with all of your "the sky is falling" posts
Lol okay? When has the sky not fell for GT sports? Have you been alive the past 30 years? One ACC championship in that time and it gets taken away from some BS Bebe Thomas crap.

Just saying GT can't have anything nice.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't think he would leave. You always listen, though. A little leverage never hurts, not that we can afford to give any raises right now.
No one can afford raises after last year. I'm surprised SC can even afford to hire a new staff.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IMO, this reeks of a throw out names and see what sticks type of rumor. It wouldn't shock me if CBK jumped ship, but it would surprise me a bit.

I also don't think him being poached would be either an endorsement or an indictment of the current state of the program, but rather an acknowledgement that he is considered one of the best OL coaches in CFB right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.