Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Sure is a lot of smoke... hopefully these idiots are just trying to scrounge up some subscriptions. Hate that they would be teasing one of our best recruiter/coaches leaving.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20210108-115551_Chrome.jpg

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It never hurts to have your name being thrown out as a candidate for coaching searches. It shows you're still desirable and marketable to the coaching world. You can also use it as leverage for salary or responsibilities or other incentives.

And hopefully we've learned from when our coaching search was going on, that a lot of these rumors are wishes/not far along in the process (remember when we were going to hire Tony Elliot as HC?).

All that being said, I'd be surprised if CBK jumps ship (especially a lateral move). If I were him, I'd stick around until at least the o-line rebuild is complete so that he can point to his time at GT not as a blemish, but instead to hopefully say 'I brought them from worst in FBS to top 10' or whatever it is. This is a stable position where he has time to do his thing, and o-line is a position group that takes time.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it odd that CBK congratulated the Bama OL (yes I know he coached him) on Twitter for winning the Outland and not his own punter?

crut

Helluva Engineer
Is it odd that CBK congratulated the Bama OL (yes I know he coached him) on Twitter for winning the Outland and not his own punter?
Nah. He coached 1 player and didn't coach the other.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't believe the USC rumors, but I can imagine a scenario.

I could imagine Key being disillusioned with Tech and the talent level he's had. I assume he wants another shot at OC or HC. His reputation is as one of, if not the, best OL coach and a great recruiter. But he's presided over one of the worst OL in the country the past two seasons. Working in an offense that is one of the worst in the country. I also feel like the organizational chart is messy, he's supposedly AHC, but reports to Patenaude as OL Coach? If Patenaude were to get fired, would Key have a shot at OC if (presumably) his OL is a part of the offense performing poorly? Would the new OC want to be able to hire his own assistants?

Maybe not so much disillusioned with his friend CGC and what he's trying to do, but that the Tech OL job is a career dead end for him if he stays too long. I'd be surprised by a move to USCar. But not if he got an offer at somewhere like Clemson or to return to Bama.
I highly doubt CBK is disillusioned with the talent. He is a GT grad and knew exactly what he was walking into. He knew he would be rebuilding the oline from the ground up. The first oline recruits since he has been on the job have just finished their first year on campus.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I highly doubt CBK is disillusioned with the talent. He is a GT grad and knew exactly what he was walking into. He knew he would be rebuilding the oline from the ground up. The first oline recruits since he has been on the job have just finished their first year on campus.

Agreed, that passionate presser he basically said as much. I'm coming back to here to uptick the talent but he knows end year 2 it's in process.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. He's got a pair of SEC O line transfers coming in for this next year as well. Key is also the Run Game Coordinator, doesn't he want to see the line come together and get to see Mason, Smith, Griffin, and Gibbs ramble down the field next year? I don't know jack about USC's roster but...my gold colored glasses lead me to think next year is when the offense could be quite a bit more fun.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
My take is give him OC if that's what it takes to keep him. You don't want him recruiting against us.

Yeah. He’s probably the most important guy on the staff right now honestly. And CGC knows it with the salary / AHC designation. Would be fairly devastating to lose an alum of his caliber for anything outside of a promotion at a factory.

It would be a massive blow to lose him to a program like USCe giving him the same position he has now. Unless he’s lost complete faith in CGC I can’t see him taking any offer lower than OC.

And agree at that point we counter with firing Patenaude and handing the keys to Key.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If this is about money, GT needs to decide if it wants to play big boy football. Who exactly do we want to be in college athletics?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not gonna copy/paste any pay board info, but the USCe 247 board seems pretty confident it’s gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.