Brent Key is not the answer

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am rooting like crazy for Coach Key which, at the end of the day, is a ridiculous statement about any new coach 7 games into his tenure. he has and will get 4 years and rightfully so. As has been pointed out, our history is full of games won as heavy underdogs as well as well as our annual WTF? loss. What I would like to see resolved is the baffling mystery as to why we seem to play better as road underdogs than as home favorites. My expectations are realistic and relatively low = if we are going to be a .500 team, let's win at BDS and lose the away games. make the stadium a fun place to visit. I get to 1 game a year, maybe every two years. Over the last 7-8 years, the place is dead and both the fans and team seems to collectively sit and wonder how GT is going to find a way to lose. I swear the feeling is palpable. We need that stadium exorcised.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As some of you have pointed out, many defended Collins right up to bitter end. That was hard for me to handle because it was clear after year one that this probably wasn’t going to get better.

Now that everyone is burned out on 4 1/2 years of Collins there seems to be little patience left for Key. That’s unfortunate because he deserves the same sustained loyalty that many gave to Collins for three years.

Disagree if you like but Key on his worst day doesn’t hit the depths of ineptitude that Collins displayed regularly.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
As some of you have pointed out, many defended Collins right up to bitter end. That was hard for me to handle because it was clear after year one that this probably wasn’t going to get better.

Now that everyone is burned out on 4 1/2 years of Collins there seems to be little patience left for Key. That’s unfortunate because he deserves the same sustained loyalty that many gave to Collins for three years.

Disagree if you like but Key on his worst day doesn’t hit the depths of ineptitude that Collins displayed regularly.

That’s fair. Although I was good on Collins after Citadel.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Duke didn't have a Collins mess to clean up, or a big transition away from the triple option. Had we hired the right coach after cpj , we wouldn't be where we are now likely
Wonder what GT football would look like right now if we hired Willie Fritz after CPJ retired. Highly doubt we’d be looking at a 5th straight year without a bowl game

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Key being no where near as inept as You know who.

I also know we have no choice but to support BK for at least 1-2 more years.

But, I feel as strongly about his peak being mediocrity (7 wins) as I did that his previous boss would not ever win 5 games.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Hurts when Duke turns it around with a new coach immediately and we can’t get out of our own way after nearly 5 years.
They definitely hit a home run.
But more often it takes at least a year or two to get your culture established.
If we can hire a good DC and get some talent infusion into the front 7, I think we can really start climbing out of the hole.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He had to. We only had 9 men on the field for that play.
Not exactly. We put two more in and they scored anyways. Their chances of scoring on our D from the 2 were about as certain as it gets. That timeout ended up being worthless, but it could have easily been a critical mistake had we not completely fallen apart in the fourth quarter

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
We all say blame the coach, players aren't amped at home, hire a new coach etc. One question: why, with 9 minutes of game time left and we go down 8, is there all of a sudden a mad rush to the exits? If we want our guys in white and gold play all of 4 quarters, we need to support them FOR ALL 4 QUARTERS.
That was an even team we played today. Pick 6 and a missed PAT hurt. They had the upper hand at that point. Its a tough loss, not a shocking loss.
It takes time to turn the ship around. Dont jump off. For the players not bought in, don't worry, they won't be here next year. Key had to play the hand he was dealt this past year and now he's building his own deck. Got to throw out some from time to time.
Also, trust me when I say this as a former college athlete and coach at multiple collegiate levels; a head coach will never play a lesser talented player over a superior athlete. If you're wondering why your favorite player isn't playing, it could be because he's not as talented. It could be he's one of those not bought in. It could be he's already told the staff he's hitting the portal when he's able but still needs film. The head coach's job is to put the best product on the field.
We had a great crowd today, parents weekend helped a ton, and I hope we have a good crowd next week.
I know ill have some armchair coaches disagree with me and say dieon this and saban that and whatnot. Well come talk to me at section 121 Saturday. Just be sure to buy by your ticket from the GTAA so you will help out the the team you love. See yall there!
Go Jackets and THWg!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We all say blame the coach, players aren't amped at home, hire a new coach etc. One question: why, with 9 minutes of game time left and we go down 8, is there all of a sudden a mad rush to the exits? If we want our guys in white and gold play all of 4 quarters, we need to support them FOR ALL 4 QUARTERS.
That was an even team we played today. Pick 6 and a missed PAT hurt. They had the upper hand at that point. Its a tough loss, not a shocking loss.
It takes time to turn the ship around. Dont jump off. For the players not bought in, don't worry, they won't be here next year. Key had to play the hand he was dealt this past year and now he's building his own deck. Got to throw out some from time to time.
Also, trust me when I say this as a former college athlete and coach at multiple collegiate levels; a head coach will never play a lesser talented player over a superior athlete. If you're wondering why your favorite player isn't playing, it could be because he's not as talented. It could be he's one of those not bought in. It could be he's already told the staff he's hitting the portal when he's able but still needs film. The head coach's job is to put the best product on the field.
We had a great crowd today, parents weekend helped a ton, and I hope we have a good crowd next week.
I know ill have some armchair coaches disagree with me and say dieon this and saban that and whatnot. Well come talk to me at section 121 Saturday. Just be sure to buy by your ticket from the GTAA so you will help out the the team you love. See yall there!
Go Jackets and THWg!
The fans didn’t give up 21 unanswered points in the 2nd half. The fans didn’t lose to Bowling Green at home by 11 points. The fans didn’t blow a 23 point lead to Louisville. The fans did actually show up pretty well today. One of the best home crowds we’ve had in a while, and we laid another egg. We’re never going to be a serious program again if we can’t win home games against equal or lesser teams to us. Yeah, the ranked road wins are great, but when you can’t carry that momentum into the next game it doesn’t help build the program up at all. We had a chance to have a solid football team this year, and we’ve pissed it all away at every opportunity we’ve gotten.

I haven’t given up on Key yet, but there have definitely been some things that leave me scratching my head and wondering wtf we’re doing, especially in regards to clock management. I love how much Key loves the Institute. I love how much his players seem to love him. But after 5 years of being a dumpster fire of a program, I’m ready to just win games again. There’s no reason why Duke has been able to become an extremely competitive program while we’re losing to Bowling Green and Boston College at home.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not exactly. We put two more in and they scored anyways. Their chances of scoring on our D from the 2 were about as certain as it gets. That timeout ended up being worthless, but it could have easily been a critical mistake had we not completely fallen apart in the fourth quarter

We had 9 players on the field when Key called the TO.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
There’s no reason why Duke has been able to become an extremely competitive program while we’re losing to Bowling Green and Boston College at home.
There is: they gave the previous coach time to get the program up to par. The current coach has taken that foundation that the previous coach laid (that had a ton of crappy years) and has started construction on and solid program. We have to give ADJB and GT our time and money to recover what he who shall not be named part duex did to us.

I dont know if Key is the answer or not. I hope he is. But right now he's not a HoF coach with a "boring" offense. He's not a grizzled offensive minded coach. He has to come into his identity. And to do that, he has to be given the resources and time needed to get us back to our rightful place in the college football landscape.

Again, today was not a shocking loss, its just a loss that really sucks. But our boys need the fans to show up for the top 25 team coming in our house next Saturday.

THWg!

JacketFan137

Banned

key was here the whole time under collins and decided to retain his defensive coordinator. acting like key was some brand new presence that deserves the same level of patience i think is a little bit dishonest when he bares a lot of the responsibility for the hole collins dug. key was the assistant head coach he wasn’t some lowly WR coach or linebackers coach who’s unit was a lone bright spot on an otherwise bleak looking team.

we had key as assistant head coach and offensive line coach for 4 years and the whole time the offensive line looked terrible and our program in general looked like it was ran poorly. collins got a lot of the blame but if key was some major culture changer and program driving force i think he should have made that difference the whole time.

it benefits me and everyone on here, regardless of how negative any of us are if key turns it around, but this is just the same **** over and over and over after these losses. i will be at every home game in my tech stuff watching the warm ups and drinking my helluvenia’s and ale of an engineers, but i just can’t pretend like i see key turning this around when he has demonstrated that he is just a small step better than the absolute rock bottom **** show we were before.

maybe with a new squad after some guys get processed we will be better, but with the portal so crazy it won’t make a difference when the few bright spots on this roster are off to get the 💰at UNC, ole miss, or whatever other p5 school with a fanbase that gives a damn that wants to pony up NIL.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
key was here the whole time under collins and decided to retain his defensive coordinator. acting like key was some brand new presence that deserves the same level of patience i think is a little bit dishonest when he bares a lot of the responsibility for the hole collins dug. key was the assistant head coach he wasn’t some lowly WR coach or linebackers coach who’s unit was a lone bright spot on an otherwise bleak looking team.

we had key as assistant head coach and offensive line coach for 4 years and the whole time the offensive line looked terrible and our program in general looked like it was ran poorly. collins got a lot of the blame but if key was some major culture changer and program driving force i think he should have made that difference the whole time.

it benefits me and everyone on here, regardless of how negative any of us are if key turns it around, but this is just the same **** over and over and over after these losses. i will be at every home game in my tech stuff watching the warm ups and drinking my helluvenia’s and ale of an engineers, but i just can’t pretend like i see key turning this around when he has demonstrated that he is just a small step better than the absolute rock bottom **** show we were before.

maybe with a new squad after some guys get processed we will be better, but with the portal so crazy it won’t make a difference when the few bright spots on this roster are off to get the 💰at UNC, ole miss, or whatever other p5 school with a fanbase that gives a damn that wants to pony up NIL.

I think you are forgetting that it was known that Collins hamstrung his staff including Key.
Plenty of assistants have come from similar situations and become HC to turn things around. Dabo comes to mind
Key already talked about keeping Thacker was due to his performance the last few games last year.
However I can see things changing at the end of the year with that side of the staff.

As I said before I know we're all frustrated, but we really gotta take a step back and look big picture. We can't be that school that goes through coaches every 2-3 years