Brent Key is not the answer

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
We all say blame the coach, players aren't amped at home, hire a new coach etc. One question: why, with 9 minutes of game time left and we go down 8, is there all of a sudden a mad rush to the exits? If we want our guys in white and gold play all of 4 quarters, we need to support them FOR ALL 4 QUARTERS.

Geoff, are you really blaming the few fans we have for another pathetic performance? We haven’t won a single damn FBS game in over a year at home.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not a good look when your best RB rides the pine for seemingly no reason. Mason scenario 2.0

I'm not certain he's even our third best RB. He struggles with blocking and every time we've depended on him to be anything but a change of pace back he's not handled it well. Haynes and Cooley are very capable, and Dickens will be good as well but we are redshirting him.

GT Jon

Georgia Tech Fan
Open letter to Coach Key (and long-suffering Jackets): Referring to the Spring Game you once stated that you cringed at the emphasis on the passing game rather than the running game. Your instincts were correct.

The running game requires more overall physicality and toughness by the offense, and the defense required to stop it in practice, resulting in more consistent performances in games.

I sense that you are now ready to begin the necessary hard and time-consuming adjustments to bring about a more balanced approach.

Good Luck. Go Jackets

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Makes one curious what the reason is, no?
Most of us have been curious about it. Haynes and Cooley are good in their way, but you need someone in the backfield who can run over people. Dontae can do that. Two little scatbacks are one too many.
The one time he got the ball yesterday he ran over two people, which are two more than Cooley and Haynes ran over all day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So I've thought on this quite a bit...and maybe Key just needs more time, but early indications aren't great. Fans often refer to "coaching" as one thing, but really it's a several different things: fundamentals, game prep/strategy, execution, in-game adjustments.

I think the one area that Key has definitely improved upon is fundamentals. We've generally gotten better at blocking and tackling. We aren't great, but we are better. Game prep/strategy on offense looks miles ahead of where we have been.

Execution continues to be a serious issue. Our staff just doesn't seem to mesh well on game day. How can we have multiple plays where we have 9-10 guys on the field? How can we burn a time out on 4th and 8 to punt when a delay of game would have actually helped us? How can we let half the clock run off at the end of a half with 50+ seconds and two time outs?

In-game adjustments - I don't know. To my untrained eye it sure seems like we take a long time to see opportunity. For weeks I've felt like the read options have given us a chance for big plays, but we use them sparingly and King has a tendency to give more than keep. Yesterday we finally busted a few big plays. Seems like we could have gone this route earlier.

Bottom line is we just are not very good. We've won eight games at Bobby Dodd in 4.5 years. Only four of those were ACC games. We will not be favored in another home game this year. Hiring Key felt like a settle at the time and IMO he should have a relatively short leash. Changing directions after a year would be foolish, but it really feels like the wheels are coming off and we're going to finish with 3-4 wins again. If we repeat this trend next year with the same look and feel I don't know how we could stick with him. My hope is that the team responds with 2 more wins and looks competitive in the other games. Then that at least gives you something to build on.

...another thought to echo Key's post-game comments on the radio...it's time to have some tough conversations with players and get some bad attitudes out the door.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Most of us have been curious about it. Haynes and Cooley are good in their way, but you need someone in the backfield who can run over people. Dontae can do that. Two little scatbacks are one too many.
The one time he got the ball yesterday he ran over two people, which are two more than Cooley and Haynes ran over all day.
Haynes hits the hole with authority and makes yards where other cannot. He’s got good vision. Cooley always cuts the wrong way or runs into our OL. He’s great in space, but unless he has a clear hole to run thru he’s pretty much like any other back we have on the bench.

Dontae is a lot like Mason. He gets tough yards between the tackles and is explosive enough to rip off a long run. He’s got great vision. The fact he’s been benched seemingly because of something between him and the coaches has been interesting to say the least.

Personally, I believe Key has a locker room issue and it’s not all players. He had better “go Deion” and quickly or it will cost him his job. He should have run off all the problems after BG.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So I've thought on this quite a bit...and maybe Key just needs more time, but early indications aren't great. Fans often refer to "coaching" as one thing, but really it's a several different things: fundamentals, game prep/strategy, execution, in-game adjustments.

I think the one area that Key has definitely improved upon is fundamentals. We've generally gotten better at blocking and tackling. We aren't great, but we are better. Game prep/strategy on offense looks miles ahead of where we have been.

Execution continues to be a serious issue. Our staff just doesn't seem to mesh well on game day. How can we have multiple plays where we have 9-10 guys on the field? How can we burn a time out on 4th and 8 to punt when a delay of game would have actually helped us? How can we let half the clock run off at the end of a half with 50+ seconds and two time outs?

In-game adjustments - I don't know. To my untrained eye it sure seems like we take a long time to see opportunity. For weeks I've felt like the read options have given us a chance for big plays, but we use them sparingly and King has a tendency to give more than keep. Yesterday we finally busted a few big plays. Seems like we could have gone this route earlier.

Bottom line is we just are not very good. We've won eight games at Bobby Dodd in 4.5 years. Only four of those were ACC games. We will not be favored in another home game this year. Hiring Key felt like a settle at the time and IMO he should have a relatively short leash. Changing directions after a year would be foolish, but it really feels like the wheels are coming off and we're going to finish with 3-4 wins again. If we repeat this trend next year with the same look and feel I don't know how we could stick with him. My hope is that the team responds with 2 more wins and looks competitive in the other games. Then that at least gives you something to build on.

...another thought to echo Key's post-game comments on the radio...it's time to have some tough conversations with players and get some bad attitudes out the door.
Seems fair.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I think we just need to relax.
Auburn, which recruits (arguably) better, has more resources and a university commitment to athletics is also 3-4. It takes time.

One player told me at camp, nobody knew another player. Nobody. “Who are you? What position do you play?”

Coaches have an idea of how they want to compete. Perhaps they don’t have the players. Or the skills. Or the development. This isn’t Football 1985.

It’s never as good, or as bad, as it seems.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you on several of these issue's, particularly game prep and in-game adjustments. The positives for me is that Key is a football guy, he's played the game and he is no non-sense. He is a first time coach in his first year coaching and these things can be fixed with more coaching experience. And, I also support your last statement !

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think we just need to relax.
Auburn, which recruits (arguably) better, has more resources and a university commitment to athletics is also 3-4. It takes time.

One player told me at camp, nobody knew another player. Nobody. “Who are you? What position do you play?”

Coaches have an idea of how they want to compete. Perhaps they don’t have the players. Or the skills. Or the development. This isn’t Football 1985.

It’s never as good, or as bad, as it seems.
This is true the NCAA messed up college football with the transfer portal and NIL

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on several of these issue's, particularly game prep and in-game adjustments. The positives for me is that Key is a football guy, he's played the game and he is no non-sense. He is a first time coach in his first year coaching and these things can be fixed with more coaching experience. And, I also support your last statement !
Can’t emphasize enough that we have a rookie coach who will continue to grow. I have no doubt he is a hard worker and a student of the game.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This is true the NCAA messed up college football with the transfer portal and NIL
The NCAA is a joke or at least has been, but someone needs to put a salary cap for each teams NIL organization. Or the NIL will continue to create a bigger divide between the semi-pro teams like the one 60 miles east of us and regular college football teams ...

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We seem to have a pattern, in the games we've lost, that when we're more than 1 score behind and we press hard to move the ball, we toss INTs about 50%, or more, of the time. That's probably not terribly profound, but it is important. You have to be able to play under control when you're behind (especially with a D as bad as ours). That aspect seems to be one of maturity, and King just needs to make better decisions. Young, uber-talented guys often tend to do this. He has to learn not to do it, to play within himself, march the team downfield, and put points up. Just a couple of thoughts on why games keep ending up with teams pulling away in the 4th.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We seem to have a pattern, in the games we've lost, that when we're more than 1 score behind and we press hard to move the ball, we toss INTs about 50%, or more, of the time. That's probably not terribly profound, but it is important. You have to be able to play under control when you're behind (especially with a D as bad as ours). That aspect seems to be one of maturity, and King just needs to make better decisions. Young, uber-talented guys often tend to do this. He has to learn not to do it, to play within himself, march the team downfield, and put points up. Just a couple of thoughts on why games keep ending up with teams pulling away in the 4th.
One of the things I used to enjoy about the old coaches (Bear Bryant, Dodd, Bo), is how simple their game plans were. Bear’s were often on one side of a piece of paper.

The stats are that your likelihood of scoring is proportional to your starting field position. Get the ball on your own ten yard line and the likelihood of scoring is ten percent. Bear’s entire game plan was ”get to midfield”. He loved a good punt … start at the twenty, get 15 yards, punt? Dammit, ok. Longest time play in the game (7-8 second), so you get good TOP and the odds are back in your favor. Stop them, change possessions and you’re at midfield and didn’t make a mistake. He won the SEC at Kentucky running six plays on offense.

Dodd said the same. Keep the game close, win it in the fourth. Always go for an TD if inside the ten. (His stats shows GT was 50% likely to score, so 7 beats six, all day long.)

Bill P said his entire game was turnover ratio and hidden yardage. Very difficult to lose if you are +2 in turnovers and have more than 100 yds in hidden yardage. CPJ famously once said he didn’t care about defense. Just score 28 points and win TOP and it’s a W, statistically speaking.

I don’t hear that from anyone in todays game. Very few. It’s more about NIL and the portal.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I used to enjoy about the old coaches (Bear Bryant, Dodd, Bo), is how simple their game plans were. Bear’s were often on one side of a piece of paper.

The stats are that your likelihood of scoring is proportional to your starting field position. Get the ball on your own ten yard line and the likelihood of scoring is ten percent. Bear’s entire game plan was ”get to midfield”. He loved a good punt … start at the twenty, get 15 yards, punt? Dammit, ok. Longest time play in the game (7-8 second), so you get good TOP and the odds are back in your favor. Stop them, change possessions and you’re at midfield and didn’t make a mistake. He won the SEC at Kentucky running six plays on offense.

Dodd said the same. Keep the game close, win it in the fourth. Always go for an TD if inside the ten. (His stats shows GT was 50% likely to score, so 7 beats six, all day long.)

Bill P said his entire game was turnover ratio and hidden yardage. Very difficult to lose if you are +2 in turnovers and have more than 100 yds in hidden yardage. CPJ famously once said he didn’t care about defense. Just score 28 points and win TOP and it’s a W, statistically speaking.

I don’t hear that from anyone in todays game. Very few. It’s more about NIL and the portal.
Very well said! Except you forgot Coach Prime.