Brent Key is not the answer

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Curry was about the only coach Dodd could get to come to Tech at that time. He did the best he could. No one, ever said that he was a great coach or even a particularly good one but he got his players to play hard and do things the right way in the face of formidable obstacles in that era.
I'm frequently critical of Curry but he did inherit a massive dumpster fire. They did play hard every game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There's thinking a lot of someone and then there is convincing the donors to pay for a relatively new HC to coach at a school with national title aspirations. I might be wrong, but I don't see ATM hiring Elko out of Duke.
He‘s going to get some bigtime job offers, what he has done at duke is amazing

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
His stats against us from an AL.com article I found online: Rushing stats: 32 carries, 242 yards, 1 TD

His long TD run was 76 yards, approximately 1/3 of his total yardage.
That is how you earn All American accolades and such. Bo was a much better football player than he ever was a baseball player. Imagine the hits he endured over his career. No wonder he had to replace a hip or two.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
OTOH, they have been down the "proven name" path and it didn't work out so well. I said it when Spurrier was there, if you can win at Duke you can win anywhere. I think some (most?) fans and maybe AD's are a bit leary of getting burnt with the all hat, no cattleguy who "wins the press conference". Anyone familiar with that scenario??? Texas A & M is a top shelf destination and doesn't have to reach for guys like that. Similar to the guys who win a one off natty with generational type QB's (Malzahn, Brown, Fisher jump immediately to mind). If I am hiring now, if I can't get Saban, I like Elko as much as anybody else out there 9would be much nicer if he had a few more years in Durham on his resume. But they (Duke) look to a good football team that exceeds whatever recruiting rankings they have accumulated.

Duke usually schedules 4 wins a year with their OoC opponents. Winning 4 in the Coastal was not a hard hurdle to jump. If we scheduled our OoC like Duke, we'd win a lot more games as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bet he doesn't get invited to any Alabama alumni events.
He doesn’t. But neither does Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price or Mike Shula.

The prez and AD of Alabama that both hired him left and he had zero support from their replacements. He actually got a contract extension but … with no raise, stripped him of his ability to hire and fire assistant coaches, and relieved the university of all previous commitments to guarantee his outside income should Alabama fire him, which, according to the contract, it could have at any time and without reason.

Ironic. Curry’s win loss percentage of 0.722 at Bama was better than any coach that followed Bear Bryant except for Saban.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
How have some of the other coaching search targets done so far this year?

I saw Liberty is 6-0 with Chadwell, but they are easily the best funded program in C-USA by a country mile. Tulane also is rolling at 5-1, no idea how much of that team turned over from last year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He doesn’t. But neither does Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price or Mike Shula.

The prez and AD of Alabama that both hired him left and he had zero support from their replacements. He actually got a contract extension but … with no raise, stripped him of his ability to hire and fire assistant coaches, and relieved the university of all previous commitments to guarantee his outside income should Alabama fire him, which, according to the contract, it could have at any time and without reason.

Ironic. Curry’s win loss percentage of 0.722 at Bama was better than any coach that followed Bear Bryant except for Saban.
And I’ve argued a million times on social media that his record at Alabama proves that coaching at Tech is a hundred times harder. He left Alabama with a nucleus that won a national championship.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t Curry win the SEC but struggled to beat auburn and that got him fired? To much bad blood between Auburn and Alabama for a Ga Tech man to be coach at either school. Ga Tech has bad blood with a few teams out there…..I like it! Lol

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Curry win the SEC but struggled to beat auburn and that got him fired? To much bad blood between Auburn and Alabama for a Ga Tech man to be coach at either school. Ga Tech has bad blood with a few teams out there…..I like it! Lol
Not exactly. The power brokers hated him and had Hootie run him out. It's just the same at Auburn when Pat Dye organized a coup to remove Terry Bowden.