Brent Key is not the answer

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
How can anyone who follows college football think Brent Key is the answer to Ga. Tech's problems. I have been a season ticket holder for several years. Though I have a Masters degree, it is not from GA. Tech. But at 61, I love GA. Tech so much I took 1 class on-line just to have a GA. Tech certificate on my wall. Saying that, I'm at the point I a giving my 4 tickets away every home game to a family that needs a day out. The Bowling Green game set the program back years. No program, not one, has succeeded without bringing in a high-profile coach with a winning proven record. The powers that be at Tech don't seem to have the interest in building the program. You can love or hate Deion, Tech should have paid whatever it costs to get him in Atlanta. Tech has no talent. No coaches. No student support. Brent Key, who is probably a good guy, was a cheap hire for Tech. Not one who can change the program and recruit. I have more GA. Tech memorabilia than anyone I know. But Tech has reached an all time low. The only hope is they lose until the powers are willing to pay for a program with top quality coaches and players.
Clemson did with Dabo, right? It was one game that might set this season back but I’m telling ya now, Ga Tech has the right man in charge but it’s going to take a year or 2 to get back winning 9 or 10 games every year. Look how much better the offense is just by bringing in a good QB. It’s one game brother all coaches have these kind of losses. My friend, this team was in bad shape when key took over, give the man some time.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
Norvell went 3-6 his first year at fsu, some people don’t know football.
Like most of us, I get a good laugh from these threads, but we really have to chill with the Mike Norvell or Nick Saban first year comparisons.

Norvell went 38-15 as the HC at Memphis. Saban previously had won a National Championship at LSU. A track record of success gives a bit more leeway to turn things around.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Norvell went 3-6 his first year at fsu, some people don’t know football.
I could say the same about people who compare a coach with 9 years of success as a coordinator and head coach to another with no head coach experience, only two years as a coordinator (the last of which was eight years ago), and was so bad as a coordinator he was fired by his mentor for having the worst offense in college football for a winless team despite the school having to pay him $700,000 dollars just to show him the door. Fun fact! I'm pretty sure it was Stansbury who put that clause in the contract. We really know how to pick them!

Key doesn't have the track record to inspire confidence the guys some of you all keep citing do.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Like most of us, I get a good laugh from these threads, but we really have to chill with the Mike Norvell or Nick Saban first year comparisons.

Norvell went 38-15 as the HC at Memphis. Saban previously had won a National Championship at LSU. A track record of success gives a bit more leeway to turn things around.
And it’s pertinent because the turnaround didn’t happen in year 1 or even year 2 despite their tremendous success at previous programs. We can’t predict the future, obviously, but that’s also why we can’t make decisions based on roughly one full season of football. In reality, most of the people here are making decisions on one game.
I actually think the FSU comparison is perfect. Collins was our Taggart. Let’s hope Key is our Norvell.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow

I think the norvell comparison is just to say it takes more than a year to build a winning team.

slugboy

Staff member
Key may or may not be the guy, but you cannot base it on one game. However, you might not should hire a guy based on a couple of interim wins. Gotta give it at least a couple of years unless the wheels completely fall off.
You shouldn’t overreact to one game, but that one game should be a wake up call for Key. He did act; he did shuffle his defensive staff.

Between Bowling Green, Louisville, and Ole Miss, the honeymoon phase is over. Getting booed against a G5 team is the definition of the honeymoon being over.

As a first year coach, you shouldn’t blow your honeymoon by game 5.

If the team isn’t headed in the right direction, and clear ongoing improvement isn’t clear to everyone, he has to keep acting.

To sorta quote Saban, don’t waste a failure. That was a huge failure, and there’s a lot to mine from it.

To quote Johnson, “good teams don’t lose two games in a row”.

IMHO, this is where you find out if Key is the guy. He’s faced with (self-inflicted) adversity; how does he overcome it?

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson did with Dabo, right? It was one game that might set this season back but I’m telling ya now, Ga Tech has the right man in charge but it’s going to take a year or 2 to get back winning 9 or 10 games every year. Look how much better the offense is just by bringing in a good QB. It’s one game brother all coaches have these kind of losses. My friend, this team was in bad shape when key took over, give the man some time.
Get back to winning 9 or 10 every year? Lol. Get back to the 50’s? We need to get back to a chanalish 7-5 first.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I could say the same about people who compare a coach with 9 years of success as a coordinator and head coach to another with no head coach experience, only two years as a coordinator (the last of which was eight years ago), and was so bad as a coordinator he was fired by his mentor for having the worst offense in college football for a winless team despite the school having to pay him $700,000 dollars just to show him the door. Fun fact! I'm pretty sure it was Stansbury who put that clause in the contract. We really know how to pick them!

Key doesn't have the track record to inspire confidence the guys some of you all keep citing do.
You Should Be Ashamed Radio Station GIF by 99.1 The Mix

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And it’s pertinent because the turnaround didn’t happen in year 1 or even year 2 despite their tremendous success at previous programs. We can’t predict the future, obviously, but that’s also why we can’t make decisions based on roughly one full season of football. In reality, most of the people here are making decisions on one game.
I actually think the FSU comparison is perfect. Collins was our Taggart. Let’s hope Key is our Norvell.
Right. So the next logical question is whether or not the fans who were screaming for Norvell to be fired were correct? To say that hindsight proved them wrong is not the point. The point is were they justified in that moment with the available evidence they had at the time? If they were justified, because no one knows the future, then the fans calling for Key to be fired now are justified in their position. And, to put too fine a point on it, Key could rattle off three straight 10 win seasons in the future and it still would not mean these fans weren’t right in the moment with the paltry set of facts we currently have.

If you get my drift 😄