Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's parse the denial:

“That’s obviously where I went to college and where I played ball but, man, I don’t know where those came from — where the rumors came from but I’m here at Alabama,” Key said, per AL.com’s Michael Casagrande. “I have not accepted the job at Georgia Tech. It’s all about these guys and what we’re doing right now.”

Key also denied interviewing with Georgia Tech and new head coach Geoff Collins.

“Nope,” he said. “I don’t know where it came from.”

Key expressed surprise when he heard the reports linking to his alma mater.

“Yeah,” he said. “Nobody has called me.”

I have not accepted the job at Georgia Tech.

True. He's still coaching at 'Bama. He probably hasn't signed paperwork to accept our offer. In that sense, he's not lying to anyone.

It’s all about these guys and what we’re doing right now.
Well duh, RIGHT NOW you're coaching in the national championship game at the premier football program. You're doing your job RIGHT NOW, and not at GT...yet.

Key also denied interviewing with Georgia Tech and new head coach Geoff Collins.
Most likely 100% true...because CGC knows Key well enough, and Key knows CGC and GT well enough that it's not like an interview is needed.

Most likely 100% true as well...doesn't mean no one has called his agent. Doesn't mean his agent hasn't passed on all the relevant information and Key hasn't made a decision. That's what agents are for...plausible deniability.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Let's parse the denial:

“That’s obviously where I went to college and where I played ball but, man, I don’t know where those came from — where the rumors came from but I’m here at Alabama,” Key said, per AL.com’s Michael Casagrande. “I have not accepted the job at Georgia Tech. It’s all about these guys and what we’re doing right now.”

“Nope,” he said. “I don’t know where it came from.”

Key expressed surprise when he heard the reports linking to his alma mater.

I have not accepted the job at Georgia Tech.

True. He's still coaching at 'Bama. He probably hasn't signed paperwork to accept our offer. In that sense, he's not lying to anyone.

It’s all about these guys and what we’re doing right now.
Well duh, RIGHT NOW you're coaching in the national championship game at the premier football program. You're doing your job RIGHT NOW, and not at GT...yet.

Most likely 100% true...because CGC knows Key well enough, and Key knows CGC and GT well enough that it's not like an interview is needed.

Most likely 100% true as well...doesn't mean no one has called his agent. Doesn't mean his agent hasn't passed on all the relevant information and Key hasn't made a decision. That's what agents are for...plausible deniability.

The non-denial denial. Even if he'd said "I am not going to Georgia Tech", it would be true. He's not going right now this minute (but the minute after the game...)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, I hope the claims that he's coming are true. One wonders how that'll work out, however, given present coaching assignments for those already hired. I hadn't thought of that angle until it was brought up above.

We'll see directly.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys - it’s going to happen. This is lawyer talk - don’t lie but don’t tell whole truths. Some of you need to take lessons from CBK and learn how to not lie while not divulging truth. It’s an art, and one in whichI think GT grads need more coaching.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Guys - it’s going to happen. This is lawyer talk - don’t lie but don’t tell whole truths. Some of you need to take lessons from CBK and learn how to not lie while not divulging truth. It’s an art, and one in whichI think GT grads need more coaching.
I tried that with my wife, didn't work, was drunk and couldn't quite remember what I told her the next day.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
We all gonna be so butthurt when the day after the national championship game, Keys says he's not coming.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Word is Dan Enos, the current 'Bama QB coach and former Central Michigan HC, will be promoted to OC after Mike Locksley leaves for Maryland. That means if Key does stay, it won't be for a promotion but a raise.

I'd be shocked if Key stays with 'Bama.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
It is almost embarassing how many former HC's are on saban's staff as either analysts or on-field coaches. He knows that as soon as a guy leaves he can just pick and choose the next guy. Heck, he could've even promoted the HC of the Champions of Life to OC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is almost embarassing how many former HC's are on saban's staff as either analysts or on-field coaches. He knows that as soon as a guy leaves he can just pick and choose the next guy. Heck, he could've even promoted the HC of the Champions of Life to OC.

NCAA can't cap pay for assistants (I believe they lost a lawsuit on this decades ago), BUT they can cap number of on field and off field personnel. They need to do this because it's becoming a runaway freight train that's running over schools with smaller budgets. That's why the same 5-10 schools are the ones making the big bowl games and playoffs. Absolutely no reason 'Bama should have Lane Kiffen as an OC while Steve Sarkisian is riding the "bench" as an analyst , Mike Locksley is an analyst then future position coach then OC, and Dan Enos is also a position coach.

At some point, it becomes ridiculous.

Animal02

Banned
The only thing that will stop schools like Bama is to derail the money train from ESPN. They are paying them 4.5 million a year for to play their opener in ATL, meanwhile their opponent gets half that. They could not sustain the spending without the revenue stream. Eventually the NCAA will have to step in and do something to create more parity or the loss of interest in college sports will collapse in on itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.