Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This would be huge but seems like a bit of a reach (too soon), even with a good recruiting staff.

We still have a lot of catching up to do facilities wise... and that's just in the ACC. Top 25 would be a great accomplishment.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Our facilities aren't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. No, we don't have 'Bama, Clemson, Oregon facilities but neither do 95% of the other teams. Our facilities will get better with the capital campaign going on, but if anything hinders GT's recruiting facilities is probably further down the list than other factors.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember this: https://gtswarm.com/threads/recruiting-roundup-two-weeks-to-nsd.1731/

Mike Rogers got a visit last night from CAM and Paul Johnson...he posted on Twitter that his visit went well. From what I am told he is really torn right now. Brent Key from UCF will be coming by to see him tonight. Key is former Tech player and is really selling negative against GT and how hard the academics are. Rogers is the key UCF commit and they are really going all out to keep him...Rogers still needs a SAT/ACT score to qualify. I was told from someone very close to Rogers is that he wont make his final decision until NSD....I am wondering when Rogers will take the SAT or ACT...The results wont be back till after NSD now.​
I think the Brent Key negative recruiting narrative against GT is not warranted. If this young man was not a great student, didn't place value on academics, weak grades - why wouldn't the opposing recruiter highlight there are no free rides at GT? I don't think anyone here would have done differently.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
The only guy I’m excited bout is TC. The rest have a lot to prove.
Wow tough crowd here. I am probably most excited about Choice as well because he is a known quantity for us, at least personality-wise.

But Brent Key has been known to be a very good OL coach and recruiter for quite some time. Add to this that I have heard high praise about several of our new coaches, including Panagos who has a great resume as a DL coach. If you can’t be excited about having great coaching for big uglies on both sides of the ball, I don’t know what you can get excited about. This has been a very weak area for GT as long as I can remember.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am anxious to see if any of these "great recruiters" can overcome consistently the negative recruiting that will continue to face GT. I agree that it can only be accomplished by somehow reversing the narrative, which is what CGC is attempting to do.

I am also anxious to see if this staff can get higher results than the talent would suggest - a must at GT.

I realize it will be at least 2 more recruiting cycles and seasons before these questions can be fully answered.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember this: https://gtswarm.com/threads/recruiting-roundup-two-weeks-to-nsd.1731/

Mike Rogers got a visit last night from CAM and Paul Johnson...he posted on Twitter that his visit went well. From what I am told he is really torn right now. Brent Key from UCF will be coming by to see him tonight. Key is former Tech player and is really selling negative against GT and how hard the academics are. Rogers is the key UCF commit and they are really going all out to keep him...Rogers still needs a SAT/ACT score to qualify. I was told from someone very close to Rogers is that he wont make his final decision until NSD....I am wondering when Rogers will take the SAT or ACT...The results wont be back till after NSD now.​
The fact is, Brent only had to speak the truth to a borderline student that Tech may not be the place to go. That is a dang easy job . Half of us regularly talk about our struggles on the flats. I have zero issue with this guy .

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You must have been to a Alabama Walmart, not the college campuses.;)
Oh no. My sister went to the University of Alabama. A good number of those girls are not from the state of Alabama, like my sister. Her roommates were from Washington, New Jersey, and West Virginia.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

All Brent has to say to any potential recruit that brings this up is “As a Tech man, I am intimately familiar with what it takes to succeed at Tech. I didn’t feel like Mike had what it takes to be successful at Tech, but I think you do.” Boom. Now, not only has he deflected the bad narrative, but he’s complimented the recruit’s intelligence and work ethic in the process.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I continue to say that internet rumors are ridiculous to believe at face value. But, even if true, if it is factually correct, is it unfair?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh no. My sister went to the University of Alabama. A good number of those girls are not from the state of Alabama, like my sister. Her roommates were from Washington, New Jersey, and West Virginia.
Please tell me you didnt just call your sister and her friends fat?:) You could be in serious trouble!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.