Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Insufficient funds is the problem to fix. They’re fixing it by giving GT the opportunity to host more events, and therefore make more money, while also saving money over the long run in maintenance costs. We’re engineers and businessmen/women here, solving logistical issues is what we do.

Maybe it will save money. Are the costs of repairing and periodically replacing the artificial turf counted, or ignored?

But depending on how many more events we're going to host, I can see where the artificial stuff might be cost effective.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it will save money. Are the costs of repairing and periodically replacing the artificial turf counted, or ignored?

But depending on how many more events we're going to host, I can see where the artificial stuff might be cost effective.
There’s obviously still going to be some pretty major costs to maintain the turf, but when compared to what it costs to maintain a natural field it’s dimes to dollars. With turf, it’s possible to host an event every single week through the offseason, and not worry about having to re-sod in time for any practice or games. They can host a Guns N Roses concert on a Thursday and play the spring game on Friday and have zero issues with field quality. Plus, there will never be a time when the field looks like this:
B96A4CD2-F4FB-46C4-A7B1-0182A041EBE5.jpeg

Milwaukee

Banned
Sorry, good sir.

A grass field that needs to be resodded During the season ain't gorgeous.

Plus we have been getting too many injuries on that stuff.
There’s obviously still going to be some pretty major costs to maintain the turf, but when compared to what it costs to maintain a natural field it’s dimes to dollars. With turf, it’s possible to host an event every single week through the offseason, and not worry about having to re-sod in time for any practice or games. They can host a Guns N Roses concert on a Thursday and play the spring game on Friday and have zero issues with field quality. Plus, there will never be a time when the field looks like this:
View attachment 8433

Lol It looked bad for one game last year out of the past 25yrs. What’s done is done, let’s just not make another bad decision on top of this one.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 8433

With all the other stuff they want to put on the field, I can see it.

Wish we'd do something besides green, though, like, say, white and gold. Now that would be something striking and different.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol It looked bad for one game last year out of the past 25yrs. What’s done is done, let’s just not make another bad decision on top of this one.
Do you honestly believe that there was one singular game where Grant Field wasn’t in pristine condition? What about the very next week? Grass is hard to maintain in bad weather. It’s just a fact.
71E225AD-F79A-4B0C-A428-99172E354490.jpeg

Also, another bad decision? What bad decision? This is a pretty damn good decision to everybody that doesn’t fetishize grass for some reason.

Milwaukee

Banned
Do you honestly believe that there was one singular game where Grant Field wasn’t in pristine condition? What about the very next week? Grass is hard to maintain in bad weather. It’s just a fact.
View attachment 8434

Also, another bad decision? What bad decision? This is a pretty damn good decision to everybody that doesn’t fetishize grass for some reason.

Lol, man you got me there. 2 games last year in the past 25yrs. I was way off. What’s done is done, let’s just not make another bad decision on top of this one.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 8434

Man that midfield logo consisting of Gold w/ blue trim is truly BLAH!

Almost depressing looking. Not bright, not inspiring.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Man that midfield logo consisting of Gold w/ blue trim is truly BLAH!

Almost depressing looking. Not bright, not inspiring.
Maybe we can do like the uniforms and have a different color each week? White & gold, gold & blue, grey & pink, black & gold only, white out, desert camo, etc. Each person should have 1 week they’re not all pissed off.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we can do like the uniforms and have a different color each week? White & gold, gold & blue, grey & pink, black & gold only, white out, desert camo, etc. Each person should have 1 week they’re not all pissed off.

Naw - think w&g, onyx ( for the kids), and Pink (because that defines virtually all of us here), camo (for Military Appreciation day IF THAT IS STILL ALLOWED IN AMERICA) are fine.

No black, no blue - just pink a majority of the time.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well a good thing about turf will be that the integrity of the field is maintained so things can really pop and stay that way even without a contrasting outline. I hope the blue is left off. A flat design style is quite contemporary and can look really great with the right proportions, our new stylized font, subtle details to add just a little depth.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a done deal, but I'm leery about the money spent on this project. Where is the money coming from? The Intercollegiate Athletics Fundraising Initiatives fund maybe? I just hope that when the artificial turf ages, we have money to replace it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

My HS just up I-85 from GT went to artificial turf about 10 years ago. I had a conversation with the AD then and he said that (at that time) it was costing them $65k/yr to resod the field. New artificial stuff was $650k and would give them 10 years. When they had grass no other teams were allowed on the field. With the new stuff, many more teams get to practice and play on it. Maintenance, repair, upkeep I'm sure were all factored in. It just makes sense for athletics at this school and I'm sure it does everywhere. This stuff has come a long, long way.