Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Gold and white alternating every 5 yards, for something not just unusual but unique. Cool in the September sun...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If the coaches do not think it will hurt recruiting, I’m good with it. However, we do not need something else (Calculas, women, majors, in town, no water slides, fan support, ex wishbone, etc) for rival recruiters to throw at us.

This is the only issue that matters. When we had Astro Turf before it hurt our recruiting. The reputation was that injuries were more likely. Whether that was true or not did not matter. Having artificial turf hurt recruiting. I know from playing soccer on Astro Turf that it was hard--it had an asphalt layer under it.

And yes, some NFL teams had Astro Turf in those days. That fact doesn't get you past the perception. I don't know what the perception of artificial turf is these days. Maybe it doesn't matter.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Belle Vernon High School, Pennsylvania:

That’s awesome, wonder about the heat is would generate. That would be nice a little darker. I’ve always liked Boise St’s blue field and was wondering how they painted the grass so good, maybe it fake turf like Tech is planning to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That’s awesome, wonder about the heat is would generate. That would be nice a little darker. I’ve always liked Boise St’s blue field and was wondering how they painted the grass so good, maybe it fake turf like Tech is planning to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably no hotter than a grass-colored fake field, and perhaps cooler. Though like you I think it would look better a little darker. How about alternating white and gold for something even cooler? Can we do this?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is the only issue that matters. When we had Astro Turf before it hurt our recruiting. The reputation was that injuries were more likely. Whether that was true or not did not matter. Having artificial turf hurt recruiting. I know from playing soccer on Astro Turf that it was hard--it had an asphalt layer under it.

And yes, some NFL teams had Astro Turf in those days. That fact doesn't get you past the perception. I don't know what the perception of artificial turf is these days. Maybe it doesn't matter.
Current schools that have artificial turf compared to their recruiting rankings
Ohio State - ‘21 - #1; ‘20 - #5
Texas - ‘21 - #17, ‘20 - #13
Michigan- ‘21 - #5; ‘20 - #11
Oregon- ‘21 - #7; ‘20 - #5
North Carolina - ‘21 - #8; ‘20 - #16
Other notable teams with turf: Notre Dame, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Washington, Kentucky, Louisville, Oklahoma State.
So no, it’s not going to affect recruiting. This is the Astro turf that was used in the 80s. It’s not even remotely comparable to that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I like the real grass field that we have now, and don't see any sufficient reason to change it.
But if artificial turf is installed, white and gold alternating every 5 or 10 yards would be unique and really striking, IMO.
Putting artificial turf in that looks just like the real turf we have now seems fairly pointless.
But best is just to leave it alone. It ain't broke, so what's to fix?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I like the real grass field that we have now, and don't see any sufficient reason to change it.
But if artificial turf is installed, white and gold alternating every 5 or 10 yards would be unique and really striking, IMO.
Putting artificial turf in that looks just like the real turf we have now seems fairly pointless.
But best is just to leave it alone. It ain't broke, so what's to fix?
Insufficient funds is the problem to fix. They’re fixing it by giving GT the opportunity to host more events, and therefore make more money, while also saving money over the long run in maintenance costs. We’re engineers and businessmen/women here, solving logistical issues is what we do.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Natural grass at Grant Field = gorgeous
Grassy turf = fugly
Gold turf = fugly
Blue turf = fugly
Green grassy turf = less fugly than the others

Don’t follow a bad decision with another one, please GT. Please, GT.

Sorry, good sir.

A grass field that needs to be resodded During the season ain't gorgeous.

Plus we have been getting too many injuries on that stuff.