Break-out names for 2017

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
On Defense my money is on Antonio Simmons. He was a step to slow from a lot of sacks last year and if he's improved any I could see him having 8-10 by the end of the year. http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...s-lofty-personal-goal/8ZL2WO1JRE8bAgByj8qCkO/

Offensively I think Benson is going to have a great year behind Mills. I see him as the perfect mold for the B-back option play and someone who can take it to the house on any given play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Offense:
Cottrell
Benson
LJ (adds dimension to offense GT's never shown before, a passing attack)

Defense:
Branch
Adams
Vic
Simmons
Agree these guys will show big

On offense this will be because of Guard Center Guard.
On defense it will be due to smothering coverage of db.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Simmons, above and beyond what everyone else who has mentioned him pegs his ceiling at (I'll match his goal to be ACC defensive POY as my standard).

Agree on the lot of Vic, Glanton, Henderson, Branch, and saint amour.

Adding Henderson at LB.

Offense: Benson and Cooper.

Will add Shamire and Omari Jarret.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: David Hale's Coastal Division Wild Card by Team
Georgia Tech: DT Desmond Branch

The Yellow Jackets' offense should be fine, even without Justin Thomas at QB. The defense returns eight starters and looks solid, particularly on the back end. But the pass rush? Hoo boy, that's a big question. Even with veterans across the line a year ago, the Jackets ranked 117th in sack rate and were among the bottom half of the Power 5 in QB contact rate, pressure rate and stuffed just 14.2 percent of designed runs for a loss or no gain (62nd in Power 5). Now Ted Roof has to rebuild that line, and the options are limited, particularly on the interior. Branch has some upside though, turning in solid games as a reserve against Vanderbilt and in Georgia Tech's bowl win. If the D-line blossoms, particularly inside, the Jackets might have one of the better defenses in the league. If it doesn't? Things get a lot trickier.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
on Defense:

Simmons: If he has taken just one step forward I won't be surprised to see him with 10+ sacks. He pressured the QB a lot last year.

Gray: Very close to be "that" guy.

Mitchell: He's had some really good game playing sideline and others not so good, I think the 3rd year is the charm and he puts it all together, playing fast, and physical.

On D I feel as if we have some guys that are so close, they just need to take that step forward.

On Offense:

Cooper: CPJ said he has the ability to be the best center he's had at GT, enough said.

The rest of the OL: those guys are so athletic and played so well last year. I think they can be better this year.

Dedrick Mills: 1,300 yards, 15 TD's, all ACC. Takes a big step up in getting the "little" things perfected.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I have one question- what was the big difference in 2014? D wasn't much different, other than turnovers.

Was it the OL(coach has said only Shaw was good), was it the RBs? Or was it the NFL WRs?

I'm asking because based on available evidence - we can only count on the RBs. If we can get a Shaq or Smelter(not likely) or Gotsis in addition to the RBs, we'll have a great year.

Our stand outs could be anywhere, but it's too early to call. What I'm most concerned about is assignments on offense. If the OL, RBs can make their blocks consistently, we don't need a stand out.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I have one question- what was the big difference in 2014? D wasn't much different, other than turnovers.

Was it the OL(coach has said only Shaw was good), was it the RBs? Or was it the NFL WRs?

I'm asking because based on available evidence - we can only count on the RBs. If we can get a Shaq or Smelter(not likely) or Gotsis in addition to the RBs, we'll have a great year.

Our stand outs could be anywhere, but it's too early to call. What I'm most concerned about is assignments on offense. If the OL, RBs can make their blocks consistently, we don't need a stand out.
Oldie but a goodie.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Dressed pointed this out. We had mostly 4th year juniors and 5th year Sr at skill positions (We, ab, bb) .