Braves Regular Season

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
At what point does a slump turn into what we should expect? I understand regression was expected, but this is downright awful. Our offense looks completely outmatched and that should be unacceptable. I get the Acuña injury and the Strider injury, but we won a WS without Acuña. Somebody has got to step up and be the leader in the clubhouse and light a fire underneath the boys. Rattle off a nice 5 or 6 game win streak and get some swagger back. There are far too many great players on this team for them to be such a mediocre ball club.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
At what point does a slump turn into what we should expect? I understand regression was expected, but this is downright awful. Our offense looks completely outmatched and that should be unacceptable. I get the Acuña injury and the Strider injury, but we won a WS without Acuña. Somebody has got to step up and be the leader in the clubhouse and light a fire underneath the boys. Rattle off a nice 5 or 6 game win streak and get some swagger back. There are far too many great players on this team for them to be such a mediocre ball club.
I think it’s in their heads and hearts. I see no passion in that team. I suppose winning so much has its mental and emotional downside. At some point you just get satisfied with what you’ve done. As is often said, the widest front door to complacency is success. It’s called resting on your laurels. Last night was the first game I’ve seen since Bally and Comcast had their falling out (I’ve cut the cable and gone to fiber). That team played with no heart.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

I saw that the Braves are 1st in hard-hit percentage but 27th in WRC and 28th in runs since May 1. It’s hard to know what to adjust when the analytics say you’re just being unlucky but the results remain poor.

I think it’s a new ball that we need to adjust to but that doesn’t explain anomalies like last night, or why every other team with a high hard-hit rate (Orioles, Dodgers, Yankees, Mariners, Phillies) are finding offensive success.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

I saw that the Braves are 1st in hard-hit percentage but 27th in WRC and 28th in runs since May 1. It’s hard to know what to adjust when the analytics say you’re just being unlucky but the results remain poor.

I think it’s a new ball that we need to adjust to but that doesn’t explain anomalies like last night, or why every other team with a high hard-hit rate (Orioles, Dodgers, Yankees, Mariners, Phillies) are finding offensive success.

That's a crazy stat you shared, but definitely reinforces the point that luck hasn't been a lady to us this year...

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The Braves also aren’t clutch, leaving too many ROB. They are making contact, for sure. What’s their FO/GO ratio, anyone know?

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe they're trying to replicate 2021. Struggling thru June, then slamming the gas starting in July. Some shrewd 2nd half trades may give the team a boost.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Barves playing like Oakland lately. Did we add too many of their players? Sheesh.

That's just me being a mindless fan for a second.

Anyway, hope they salvage ... something today.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It’s not losing to the Orioles that’s the issue, it’s losing to the Nats. To me, the team just has no heart anymore. I get it… two of your beat players are gone for the season, but there was a time they would reach back for a little more. It’s no linger there, it seems.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It’s not losing to the Orioles that’s the issue, it’s losing to the Nats. To me, the team just has no heart anymore. I get it… two of your beat players are gone for the season, but there was a time they would reach back for a little more. It’s no linger there, it seems.

Them running it back may have made them too comfortable.

I'm thinking losing Young and the 3rd base coach (name escapes me) may have hurt more than we know, behind the scenes.

Guy from mlbradio/espn, Eduardo Perez(?), said months ago that losing Young was a big loss w.r.t. Acuna. Apparently credited him with helping Acuna take steps as a pro in his prep, approach to the game, etc.

It's possible that loss is being felt by others.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Them running it back may have made them too comfortable.

I'm thinking losing Young and the 3rd base coach (name escapes me) may have hurt more than we know, behind the scenes.

Guy from mlbradio/espn, Eduardo Perez(?), said months ago that losing Young was a big loss w.r.t. Acuna. Apparently credited him with helping Acuna take steps as a pro in his prep, approach to the game, etc.

It's possible that loss is being felt by others.
You’re not the first person I have heard say this. Losing either EYJ or Wash would have been a big loss. Losing both at the same time was a huge loss.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wash would 'get in that arse' for a lack of better phrasing. I think Snit and others are just too chill.

Agreed.

Tuiasosopo filled in for Washington as 3rd base coach briefly last year. I saw guys running through his stop signs and scoring and thought, "Man, it's a good thing he's a temp 'cause they ain't listenin' to him."

Oh well...

To be clear, as I've said all along, they have enough to be better than they're showing. This ain't on the assistant coaches. I think we all acknowledge that. I was just suggesting those staff losses aren't 'nothing'..

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They won. Selah.

It was an amazing game (though I had the sound turned down for a telecon), even though they gave up the dinger in the 7th to pull the O’s within 1. Jimenez and Iglesias shut it down.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The Braves’ bats are starting to heat up some the last couple of games. A week ago they had only two starters over .250 BA. Today, they have 4 with Olson right there at .248. That’s welcome news. The Braves pounded out 12 hits. Nice!

Sale had another Saleish game: 7 IP/ 2 ER/ 5 H/ 2 BB/ 7 K. Very nice game even though he had 7 baserunners in 7 IP, that’s a bit high for him. Still, only a 1.0 WHIP.