Braun to Texas

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Still don’t get this transfer, is Texas an option team ?

I mean best of luck to him but I have to be missing something here

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach Charles Kelly showed up at practice at Lincoln High School in Tallahassee, FL when Trey(#78) was a sophomore. He said Trey might get an offer, then a year later (I had moved to Leon High, long story) we went to JR day and showed his film to Coach Todd Spencer and they offered that Tuesday. Trey had offers from others, but wanted to be an Engineer. When Parker was in High School, I was at Osceola High in Kissimmee. Sewak had offered (with many others) I took a job in Texas to try to be nearer to wife’s family (didn’t take) Sewak kept recruiting Parker and he decided to go to GT. I moved to Live Oak, FL (near Lake City) where little brother Josh plays at Suwannee High.
College ball is a small world tho. Kelly is recruiting Josh for Alabama, Spencer coaches OL at my Alma Mater (Army), Parker met Tom Herman (his new HC) and Warehime(Texas TE coach) at Houston on a recruiting visit. Herb Hand (Texas OL) got in touch with Parker through Ron West(OL at GT ) and Sam Pittman(UGA OL) heard about Josh when he was recruiting Parker to Arkansas years ago. And for me...well I got to be part of the GT family for the past 8 years. It was a helluva ride!
Thanks coach for the story line.

I lost track of Todd S. Glad he is still coaching. He was a high energy guy that I contacted about 2 players my hs coaching son thought gt would be interested in (went to purdue and baylor). Todd was recruiting and getting ready for orange bowl. He arranged for me to buy to sweet tickets - next to Dwyer family and a bunch for my clients ar Florida power. Good guy.

Also!!!
Please say thanks to coach mom for all the player count down pictures last summer.. She made summer count down tolerable.

My hs coaching son is in final interview for head coach at Spring Hill Longview. It will be a project, but that's what he does. He loves his players.

In 93 he played ol in hs after Dan Neil went on to Texas and was All American. I only rooted for Texas when Dan was there but I sure will root for them again while PB is there.

I am working w hs coach at pensacola high - we used to play Tallahasse leon when I was there.

Small world

Go Jackets

Last edited:

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
Still don’t get this transfer, is Texas an option team ?

I mean best of luck to him but I have to be missing something here
The plan is for Parker to have a great Undergrad Degree, a great Masters, play (well) in 2 different conferences at the highest level, show his abilities against best competition in the country in two different systems, opportunity to play 14-18 games(redshirt rule) compete for National Title, come out having answered all questions that might keep him from NFL. Will it happen IDK, but...do you get it now?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The plan is for Parker to have a great Undergrad Degree, a great Masters, play (well) in 2 different conferences at the highest level, show his abilities against best competition in the country in two different systems, opportunity to play 14-18 games(redshirt rule) compete for National Title, come out having answered all questions that might keep him from NFL. Will it happen IDK, but...do you get it now?
So he was gone regardless of the coaching change? Just curious, Parker was my favorite player at GT, I don’t blame him one bit for doing what is best for him and I wish him all the best at UT.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Nope, still don’t, but I’m sorry the question offended you. I don’t guess playing Georgia and the national champions - Clemson every year under CPJ and CGC is playing “ against the best competition in the country in two different systems”.

He’s certainly able to do what he likes, I just wondered why. Thanks for telling me.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Never was a Texas fan until first Strong, then Herman. Am intrigued by what Herman did at Houston and thought he was a no-brainer hire for TX. Having Parker there just makes me more of a TX fan. Great school and City too.

Brauns = bad arses on the field and in the classroom. GT is a certain kind of place that breeds success through hard work. Honored to have had Trey and Parker here: Two men who are willing to pay 'the iron price' and earn what they get. Love it.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Nope, still don’t, but I’m sorry the question offended you. I don’t guess playing Georgia and the national champions - Clemson every year under CPJ and CGC is playing “ against the best competition in the country in two different systems”.

He’s certainly able to do what he likes, I just wondered why. Thanks for telling me.

I do understand.

TX has the master's Parker wants. Plus I believe Parker said he wanted the challenge of showing up in a new place and competing/proving himself all over again (not unlike going to a NFL team).

While selfishly I wish he stayed I think it's actually pretty cool what he's doing, and it makes sense to me based on what I know about the guy.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I do understand.

TX has the master's Parker wants. Plus I believe Parker said he wanted the challenge of showing up in a new place and competing/proving himself all over again (not unlike going to a NFL team).

While selfishly I wish he stayed I think it's actually pretty cool what he's doing, and it makes sense to me based on what I know about the guy.
Even if GT offered the master Parker wants, conventional wisdom from an industrial and academic perspective is it's better to get your Master's at a different school from your Bachelors. It's an opportunity to show how the individual adapts and learns in a different environment as well as the gains from different tutelage. I see no reason why that thought process can't extend to athletics (and yes, even with the coaching change at GT, the reasoning still applies).

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan

See this is why I haven't tried to explain before now. I am not 'offended' I'm not twelve, you said you didn't 'get it' so I tried to clarify.

When both Trey and Parker had completed their original commitment to GT ( Football in exchange for Undergrad) they both looked for The Best Masters Option for Them, since they both had some eligibility left. Then they explored the opportunity costs of staying vs. going. For Trey the decision was to stay. For Parker, other paths seemed to hold more promise. This idea that this is somehow a referendum on coaching before or after is ridiculous. Remember the goal in this process is to somehow get the best possible outcome (as you see it) in exchange for the work you do. This is no different. Now in order to have a true discussion about the merits of each outcome, you must answer all variables. the further away from it you are the less variables you know. In this example, I may have a clearer understanding of what some of the variables are , you being further removed see things less clear.

But, seriously, how great is it that, as a reward for three years of hard work, effort, and scholarship, in a time of question, turmoil, and transition, Parker was able to pick up his head and see that his hard work was recognized. That people had seen and valued his abilities. Then the world opened in terms of scholarship, playing, and lifestyle. now he gets to live in two of the greatest cities in US if not the world. He will play against 3 of the top conferences, in many of the great stadiums in the country. He'll have the exact Masters he wants. And if everything goes very well an opportunity to compete at the highest levels in college and beyond.

So, I have rambled on, mostly because I enjoyed this board and wanted to clarify this move. We love GT, we have loved GT, and we will love GT. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

to quote one of the great 20th century Poets:
LOVE, PEACE, and CHICKEN GREASE!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
See this is why I haven't tried to explain before now. I am not 'offended' I'm not twelve, you said you didn't 'get it' so I tried to clarify.

When both Trey and Parker had completed their original commitment to GT ( Football in exchange for Undergrad) they both looked for The Best Masters Option for Them, since they both had some eligibility left. Then they explored the opportunity costs of staying vs. going. For Trey the decision was to stay. For Parker, other paths seemed to hold more promise. This idea that this is somehow a referendum on coaching before or after is ridiculous. Remember the goal in this process is to somehow get the best possible outcome (as you see it) in exchange for the work you do. This is no different. Now in order to have a true discussion about the merits of each outcome, you must answer all variables. the further away from it you are the less variables you know. In this example, I may have a clearer understanding of what some of the variables are , you being further removed see things less clear.

But, seriously, how great is it that, as a reward for three years of hard work, effort, and scholarship, in a time of question, turmoil, and transition, Parker was able to pick up his head and see that his hard work was recognized. That people had seen and valued his abilities. Then the world opened in terms of scholarship, playing, and lifestyle. now he gets to live in two of the greatest cities in US if not the world. He will play against 3 of the top conferences, in many of the great stadiums in the country. He'll have the exact Masters he wants. And if everything goes very well an opportunity to compete at the highest levels in college and beyond.

So, I have rambled on, mostly because I enjoyed this board and wanted to clarify this move. We love GT, we have loved GT, and we will love GT. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Makes sense to me. Good luck to you and all your sons. You obviously have done a great job with that group.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

BTW, congratulations on the upcoming grandchild! Thoughts & prayers for a safe arrival.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Thank you for sharing so much of the process with us. I (like many here) will be adopting UT as a program to follow for as long as our guy Parker plays for their squad. It is a testament to all that we hold dear as alumni that he was an outstanding representative of our program and that his degree / time at Tech allowed him to continue chasing his dreams (both scholastic and athletic).

From the outside looking in, I couldn't be happier for you and your family and hope he finds both pleasure and profit from his move!

Go Jackets, Hook 'em horns, THWG

Animal02

Banned

My wife who is a full tenured professor at the U of Mich, always recommends students do advanced degrees at different universities to get different perspectives. Sound like you so made a good decision and great choice. Best of luck to him in the future, and thank you for his contributions to Tech.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys are over-analyzing. Huge program rolling in money, 100000 seat stadium, one of the best college towns in the country, and girls galore. What's there to figure out?

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Charles Kelly showed up at practice at Lincoln High School in Tallahassee, FL when Trey(#78) was a sophomore. He said Trey might get an offer, then a year later (I had moved to Leon High, long story) we went to JR day and showed his film to Coach Todd Spencer and they offered that Tuesday. Trey had offers from others, but wanted to be an Engineer. When Parker was in High School, I was at Osceola High in Kissimmee. Sewak had offered (with many others) I took a job in Texas to try to be nearer to wife’s family (didn’t take) Sewak kept recruiting Parker and he decided to go to GT. I moved to Live Oak, FL (near Lake City) where little brother Josh plays at Suwannee High.
College ball is a small world tho. Kelly is recruiting Josh for Alabama, Spencer coaches OL at my Alma Mater (Army), Parker met Tom Herman (his new HC) and Warehime(Texas TE coach) at Houston on a recruiting visit. Herb Hand (Texas OL) got in touch with Parker through Ron West(OL at GT ) and Sam Pittman(UGA OL) heard about Josh when he was recruiting Parker to Arkansas years ago. And for me...well I got to be part of the GT family for the past 8 years. It was a helluva ride!
@Coachbraun72, no matter where Josh goes you will ALWAYS be a part of the TECH family (as will Trey and Parker). Wish the best for you and your family always.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Late to the party but excited for Parker. Texas is the other school I support (Hook ‘Em) so I will be excited to see what he can do there