Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How much does school tuition cost? How about living in the dorm? Or food? Or books? Or tutors? Who do you think pays for all the benefits that student athletes get as part of their scholarship?

How about this? Instead of the school paying for all these things, they just give the student athletes a check for $50k a year and then the student athletes have to budget all the current benefits and pay taxes on the $50k. Would that make you happy?
You have to have had kids. Do you yearly think that’s a good plan?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My kid makes way more than $5-6k/yr working during the summer plus PT internships during the year, although the main goal is getting medical/clinical experience. Co-op students can routinely make $20-30k+/year. I think grad assistants make roughly that. Athletes can’t do that stuff.

Good luck selling $500/mo tying up the top athletes we want for 35 hrs/week of practice, weights, meetings, plus travel. The NCAA thought they already got enough, that worked out pretty well, didn’t it?
I was a coop. I made about $4k a quarter, about $1k a quarter PT between work quarters. I think your estimates are high. More like $ 15-$25k. Add the benefits SA’s get in terms of meals and other benefits, and you find their needs are much less on campus than the average student. I have no issues with SA’s getting a reasonable stipend and 100% of anything they legitimately earn from NIL, but these collectives are not nor what the Courts were intending. This is the Wild West. There will be a reeling in of some sort, and it will probably be driven by the factory schools. They will always want to maintain an advantage if they can. I’d love to see EA Sports create a game and gI’ve the players royalties based on their likeness being used.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m talking about giving a 19-year-old $50k and expect them to be eligible and have $$ to pay for their needs throughout the year.
It is an absurd suggestion to counter the inane argument that student athletes make less money than those working summer internships or that they currently get little to no money. As a coop or intern, you get paid directly and have to pay your own bills and taxes.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
All these examples are apples and oranges. SAs have all their tuition, fees, books, room, board, tutoring, etc. paid. Coop students do not, and are on contract, correct? The two are very different.

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
A buddy and I were discussing to keep players at schools for the four years the schools might have to come up with a contract and if they leave during the contract they’ll have to pay a portion of the NIL money at the next school back to their original school

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Weird thing to argue in America that the existence of competitors willing to pay you more shouldn’t be considered in terms of what a “fair” wage would be. You want to give me a scholarship and a 6k stipend, someone else offers a scholarship and 20k? Seems fine and how it works for all the rest of us. I got both scholarships and school-paid salary and it’s not exactly rare to do that if you aren’t an athlete.

I’m not opposed to any collective bargaining around contract lengths, transfer limits, etc etc, but it has to be a two way street of bargaining, like in other leagues, not just an attempt at arbitrary rules by fiat. Competition forcing more sports revenue to players instead of administrators or construction companies for fancy locker rooms or what have you sounds great to me, I’m here for the game, not the amenities or bureaucrats. Comrade Dabo and his “I’ll take money, the rest of you should all be happy with what we choose to give you” can get stuffed.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am teaching my kids to appreciate what they have as well as the value of an education. I would hope they woud not be complaining about not getting paid if they were a student athlete.
Many college football and basketball players come from families that very little in the way of material things, housing or money. Many are fairly large families. When the sport they play makes Billions of dollars I can easily understand why they want some of the money. They are the individuals who produce the product.

The issue is the rich donors have no self control. That is not the fault of the athletes.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my thoughts on this. If you weren’t a top 15 team before the NIL started, it’s going to be really hard to get into a position of relevancy. The top teams, save the outliers like Colorado and fsu who littered their roster with portal players after not being top contenders, will continue to be top teams due to being able to pay players (maybe not Colorado for the long term.) Any programs that are middling at 6 +\- wins are going to struggle to keep from losing their talent to these programs that can pay more money. I understand that there was always a discrepancy in how much they can pay based on donations etc., but here’s the main thing…..

A coach such as Key has to be hating the fact that not only do you have to build a program, but you also have to rebuild that same program every year based on players that you may or may not have throughout the offseason. I know the portal gives and takes away, but this is a darn near impossible landscape to navigate for coaches. You have to recruit hs talent, portal talent, your own players, and still try to figure out how to manage the team that is still invested.

I know coach’s salaries across the board have gotten out of control which is one of the reasons that got us in this mess, but in Key’s position, I feel like he will be earning every dollar that is given to him.

Bottom line is that something has to be done with the system if anything is going to change. There are no guardrails, and there needs to be a minimum 2 year commitment if any player transfers. One more transfer if they want, but you forfeit half the nil money and a year of eligibility. If not, what is in it for the investors (fans?)
yep, the NIL is going to kill the staue quo. But teams like SMU who have PILES of alumni money will be come up and prosper.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Many college football and basketball players come from families that very little in the way of material things, housing or money. Many are fairly large families. When the sport they play makes Billions of dollars I can easily understand why they want some of the money. They are the individuals who produce the product.

The issue is the rich donors have no self control. That is not the fault of the athletes.
I don’t have a problem at all with players making some cash. If a player needs to make more money for his family he needs to work. It should not be up to college football to support his family. This is where a minor league football league would be helpful.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a coop. I made about $4k a quarter, about $1k a quarter PT between work quarters. I think your estimates are high. More like $ 15-$25k. Add the benefits SA’s get in terms of meals and other benefits, and you find their needs are much less on campus than the average student. I have no issues with SA’s getting a reasonable stipend and 100% of anything they legitimately earn from NIL, but these collectives are not nor what the Courts were intending. This is the Wild West. There will be a reeling in of some sort, and it will probably be driven by the factory schools. They will always want to maintain an advantage if they can. I’d love to see EA Sports create a game and gI’ve the players royalties based on their likeness being
All these examples are apples and oranges. SAs have all their tuition, fees, books, room, board, tutoring, etc. paid. Coop students do not, and are on contract, correct? The two are very different.
Whatever, same argument NCAA tried making for “student athletes” which has been totally busted wide open.
My numbers are, if anything, irrelevant on the low side in terms of athletic recruitment.
I understand the feelings about how things are, but for now I’m contributing to The Tech Way and hoping for the best.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have a problem at all with players making some cash. If a player needs to make more money for his family he needs to work. It should not be up to college football to support his family. This is where a minor league football league would be helpful.
Except minor league football as you propose would fail completely. College football is minor league football already and the Pro franchises don't need to fund it. The amount of money involved in college football makes it obvious the players will get some of that money. That is here to stay. How the NCAA and the FBS teams figure a way forward will be interesting. I doubt any of them have a long term vision.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Whatever, same argument NCAA tried making for “student athletes” which has been totally busted wide open.
My numbers are, if anything, irrelevant on the low side in terms of athletic recruitment.
I understand the feelings about how things are, but for now I’m contributing to The Tech Way and hoping for the best.
Whatever, they need to take the non-profit off the athletic associations. We'll see how things go then. if this is going to be just pay-for-play, then there's nothing not-for-profit about it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Whatever, they need to take the non-profit off the athletic associations. We'll see how things go then. if this is going to be just pay-for-play, then there's nothing not-for-profit about it.
You know the IRS is plotting their strategy here. They will have something to say about it soon enough. That’s a lot of money to get their paws on.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
A buddy and I were discussing to keep players at schools for the four years the schools might have to come up with a contract and if they leave during the contract they’ll have to pay a portion of the NIL money at the next school back to their original school
That would solve a lot. Just like coaches. Break a contract, you pay. 4 year deal.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Let’s remove NIL from consideration for my question for a second. Hypothetical situation: athlete A at XYZ university gets scholarship, room, and board. He is expected, in return, to practice N hours a day, be in the weight room M hours a day, go to classes P hours a day, and do homework Q hours per day, and on game day of course he is expected to be at “work” all day and in football that’s also probably the day before. Oh and if he has any dings or injuries he has to be at rehab A hours per day. N+M+P+Q+A are all things he’s expected to do in return for his scholarship, room, and board and stipend. When is he supposed to get a real job that pays him any money that’s worth taking away from those other expectations put on him for earning all the stuff he’s already getting? And by real job I mean one where he makes some actual money. And that may require going off campus so add in travel time.

Yes I know plenty of students have full time jobs so I’m not suggesting athletes have it harder than they do. I’m speaking purely of the world in which there’s just a LOT of hours of the day already taken up in things the athletes are expected to do. I’m not making value judgments or worth or anything like that. I’m just wondering when athlete A has the time to go to a real job? Certainly not during Fall or Spring as the case may be for basketball and football players. Summer perhaps? BTW I’m also not comparing this to athletes in non-revenue sports at the moment and I know they have to supplement their income as well but I’m just talking about football for the moment. So again the question is when do they go to work?

Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Let’s remove NIL from consideration for my question for a second. Hypothetical situation: athlete A at XYZ university gets scholarship, room, and board. He is expected, in return, to practice N hours a day, be in the weight room M hours a day, go to classes P hours a day, and do homework Q hours per day, and on game day of course he is expected to be at “work” all day and in football that’s also probably the day before. Oh and if he has any dings or injuries he has to be at rehab A hours per day. N+M+P+Q+A are all things he’s expected to do in return for his scholarship, room, and board and stipend. When is he supposed to get a real job that pays him any money that’s worth taking away from those other expectations put on him for earning all the stuff he’s already getting? And by real job I mean one where he makes some actual money. And that may require going off campus so add in travel time.

Yes I know plenty of students have full time jobs so I’m not suggesting athletes have it harder than they do. I’m speaking purely of the world in which there’s just a LOT of hours of the day already taken up in things the athletes are expected to do. I’m not making value judgments or worth or anything like that. I’m just wondering when athlete A has the time to go to a real job? Certainly not during Fall or Spring as the case may be for basketball and football players. Summer perhaps? BTW I’m also not comparing this to athletes in non-revenue sports at the moment and I know they have to supplement their income as well but I’m just talking about football for the moment. So again the question is when do they go to work?
They don’t. Regular students get jobs to pay for exorbitant tuition, room, and board. Athletes get all that covered.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Plenty of athletes have gotten offseason jobs and internships/coops.