Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
There is not even an attempt to make any of it appear above board, and nothing or no one is even hinting that a change is needed.
Oh, there's lots of grumbling, but it's mainly from coaches - which is hypocritical beyond the limits of satire. At this point, the feckless NCAA is the only party that could make any change, but they're scared to death of further litigation. The only other potential change could come by federal legislation, but that would likely be a major disaster...

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Short answer—it’s not supposed to be directed by the school or the AA.

Really, all the NIL collectives are against the rules.

Basically, a few things are supposed to be enabled by Alston:
  • Players should get money from merchandise with their names or numbers, including from video game usage
  • If volleyball players or gymnasts make a ton of money from their TikTok accounts, it’s theirs
  • If a local car dealership pays players for an appearance, that’s ok
The rest is shady at best. If UNC is in trouble for NIL, then LSU, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, UGA, and some other schools should really be in trouble
I don't believe collectives are against NCAA rules. The current NCAA guidance is that schools can interact with collectives, give them a suite at their stadium, and refer S-As to them. What is off-limits is getting involved in negotiations, or the school/AA using NIL as an inducement in recruiting.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe collectives are against NCAA rules. The current NCAA guidance is that schools can interact with collectives, give them a suite at their stadium, and refer S-As to them. What is off-limits is getting involved in negotiations, or the school/AA using NIL as an inducement in recruiting.

It’s the last phrase that’s being abused.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who don’t know, Jason Belzer, who tweeted this information, oversees Georgia Tech’s collective, the Tech Way, among others, such as Penn State. He has a law degree and is a pretty sharp guy in my opinion.
I mean I may be biased, but it always feels like Tech stays on the righteous and “correct” path. But I have a question, if to be “wrong” is not enforced or punished, then what incentive is there is doing things the right way?

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s my thoughts on this. If you weren’t a top 15 team before the NIL started, it’s going to be really hard to get into a position of relevancy. The top teams, save the outliers like Colorado and fsu who littered their roster with portal players after not being top contenders, will continue to be top teams due to being able to pay players (maybe not Colorado for the long term.) Any programs that are middling at 6 +\- wins are going to struggle to keep from losing their talent to these programs that can pay more money. I understand that there was always a discrepancy in how much they can pay based on donations etc., but here’s the main thing…..

A coach such as Key has to be hating the fact that not only do you have to build a program, but you also have to rebuild that same program every year based on players that you may or may not have throughout the offseason. I know the portal gives and takes away, but this is a darn near impossible landscape to navigate for coaches. You have to recruit hs talent, portal talent, your own players, and still try to figure out how to manage the team that is still invested.

I know coach’s salaries across the board have gotten out of control which is one of the reasons that got us in this mess, but in Key’s position, I feel like he will be earning every dollar that is given to him.

Bottom line is that something has to be done with the system if anything is going to change. There are no guardrails, and there needs to be a minimum 2 year commitment if any player transfers. One more transfer if they want, but you forfeit half the nil money and a year of eligibility. If not, what is in it for the investors (fans?)

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean I may be biased, but it always feels like Tech stays on the righteous and “correct” path. But I have a question, if to be “wrong” is not enforced or punished, then what incentive is there is doing things the right way?
If Tech had the money of A&M to spend specifically on football, they would be doing things very similarly as the big boys. Tech doesn't have the option.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
My solution to this problem is giving players two options when they commit or transfer.

Option 1) full ride where everything is covered with monthly payment during then season the regulated by NCAA.

Or

Or Option 2) a player takes NIL $ and the student Athlete has to pay for additional services received. Nutrition, personal trainers, Food, airfare, equipment cost, tudoring, apparel... Anything that is over basic fees a normal student receives.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I just gave some money to The Tech Way and want to see how this goes.

Here is my (probably naive over-optimistic) hope: Players should have been getting a stipend for sports, since it takes all their time prohibits any sort of PT work opportunities available to other students. NCAA blew their chance to provide leadership and oversight, so here we are. I hope we have enough money to, for example, pay all our starters in football a comfortable stipend, like ~$2-3k/mo, with a handful of proven stars getting a bit more. By proven, I mean on the college level, no huge deals for 18 year olds fresh out of h.s., over half of whom will never actually achieve their purported potential.

No $M deals at GT, not who we are. Hopefully this is enough to recruit our usual 3/4 star players who fit GT and can be developed into a competitive team.

At some point, I figure the TA&Ms of the world will come to their senses and realize throwing money at football only goes so far, along with everyone finally agreeing on some common sense rules regarding the transfer portal.

If not, then maybe D1 splits into an absurd two level pro/am structure and we’ll stay on the amateur side, so be it, and I’ll still support the basic stipend concept out of a sense of fairness.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Here is my (probably naive over-optimistic) hope: Players should have been getting a stipend for sports, since it takes all their time prohibits any sort of PT work opportunities available to other students. NCAA blew their chance to provide leadership and oversight, so here we are. I hope we have enough money to, for example, pay all our starters in football a comfortable stipend, like ~$2-3k/mo, with a handful of proven stars getting a bit more. By proven, I mean on the college level, no huge deals for 18 year olds fresh out of h.s., over half of whom will never actually achieve their purported potential.

No $M deals at GT, not who we are. Hopefully this is enough to recruit our usual 3/4 star players who fit GT and can be developed into a competitive team.

At some point, I figure the TA&Ms of the world will come to their senses and realize throwing money at football only goes so far, along with everyone finally agreeing on some common sense rules regarding the transfer portal.

If not, then maybe D1 splits into an absurd two level pro/am structure and we’ll stay on the amateur side, so be it, and I’ll still support the basic stipend concept out of a sense of fairness.
A stipend paid by the schools already exists as far as I know, it was implemented in the last decade and is capped around $6k/yr.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
A stipend paid by the schools already exists as far as I know, it was implemented in the last decade and is capped around $6k/yr.
Yes, it’s called cost of attendance (COA). It’s the difference between what the AA pays the school for a football player’s scholarship and the actual attendance coat. That’s often around $5K. Plus, the S-A gets his tuition, fees, room, board, books, tutoring, training, and medical free. It’s a chunk of change they were getting. The notion that a) they are purely amateurs, and b) that they need to be paid more out of fairness are both faulty, IMPO.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my thoughts on this. If you weren’t a top 15 team before the NIL started, it’s going to be really hard to get into a position of relevancy. The top teams, save the outliers like Colorado and fsu who littered their roster with portal players after not being top contenders, will continue to be top teams due to being able to pay players (maybe not Colorado for the long term.) Any programs that are middling at 6 +\- wins are going to struggle to keep from losing their talent to these programs that can pay more money. I understand that there was always a discrepancy in how much they can pay based on donations etc., but here’s the main thing…..

A coach such as Key has to be hating the fact that not only do you have to build a program, but you also have to rebuild that same program every year based on players that you may or may not have throughout the offseason. I know the portal gives and takes away, but this is a darn near impossible landscape to navigate for coaches. You have to recruit hs talent, portal talent, your own players, and still try to figure out how to manage the team that is still invested.

I know coach’s salaries across the board have gotten out of control which is one of the reasons that got us in this mess, but in Key’s position, I feel like he will be earning every dollar that is given to him.

Bottom line is that something has to be done with the system if anything is going to change. There are no guardrails, and there needs to be a minimum 2 year commitment if any player transfers. One more transfer if they want, but you forfeit half the nil money and a year of eligibility. If not, what is in it for the investors (fans?)
I would think someone like SMU or another team with rich alumni could get in quickly.
If enough big corporations were vested in Tech, it could happen here. But the pups, Braves, Falcons, drain a lot of that money.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

They’ve been doing this for years. The players have been receiving a stipend of between $5k-$10k a year for years.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
My kid makes way more than $5-6k/yr working during the summer plus PT internships during the year, although the main goal is getting medical/clinical experience. Co-op students can routinely make $20-30k+/year. I think grad assistants make roughly that. Athletes can’t do that stuff.

Good luck selling $500/mo tying up the top athletes we want for 35 hrs/week of practice, weights, meetings, plus travel. The NCAA thought they already got enough, that worked out pretty well, didn’t it?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
TBH, I really just almost don’t care anymore. CFB is not CFB anymore, it’s a minor league pro league now. I have two pro teams that I already follow.

The fun of college ball is following the team as the players, who are students, develop in their performance. Now they hop from team to team and all your work and NIL $ go for naught. Just not for me. I am losing my passion for CFB very fast.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My kid makes way more than $5-6k/yr working during the summer plus PT internships during the year, although the main goal is getting medical/clinical experience. Co-op students can routinely make $20-30k+/year. I think grad assistants make roughly that. Athletes can’t do that stuff.

Good luck selling $500/mo tying up the top athletes we want for 35 hrs/week of practice, weights, meetings, plus travel. The NCAA thought they already got enough, that worked out pretty well, didn’t it?
How much does school tuition cost? How about living in the dorm? Or food? Or books? Or tutors? Who do you think pays for all the benefits that student athletes get as part of their scholarship?

How about this? Instead of the school paying for all these things, they just give the student athletes a check for $50k a year and then the student athletes have to budget all the current benefits and pay taxes on the $50k. Would that make you happy?