Brand New Transfer Season NIL talk

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh, I hear you. What I contend is that they had decades of a head start to get control of this before any court weighed in. Instead, they fought a losing battle to hold onto those false amateurish thing.

Trust me, I've been lambasted for thinking this a couple times so I understand where you're coming from.

There's a lot of people who think they were powerless to stop it. I disagree. I think they lacked foresight.
I agree fully. The NCAA lacked foresight and continues to stick with their amateurism arguments despite the P5 constantly demonstrating that the revenue generating sports were operating as professional organizations.

This House class action case might kill the NCAA as we know it in the next 5 years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree fully. The NCAA lacked foresight and continues to stick with their amateurism arguments despite the P5 constantly demonstrating that the revenue generating sports were operating as professional organizations.

This House class action case might kill the NCAA as we know it in the next 5 years.

And, when it happens, it won't be murder. It'll be assisted suicide.

Jolly Good Fellow
Instead of working towards a viable system for NIL and SA compensation that would be equitable for everyone, they waited until they were forced to...then it was Pandora's box. The NCAA essentially proved that they were useless and nothing but cover for conferences and schools.

NCAA is going to be toast in the next few decades once conferences are done with expansion and it becomes a two tiered system of the P2 and everyone else.
"...NCAA is going to be toast in the next few decades..."
NCAA is going to be toast in the next few decades minutes......... In fact, NCAA is now only an organization that runs a BB tournament in March......

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
"...NCAA is going to be toast in the next few decades..."
NCAA is going to be toast in the next few decades minutes......... In fact, NCAA is now only an organization that runs a BB tournament in March......
Actually the NCAA runs all sports less the big revenue sports. It still runs its moneymaker the NCAA BB Tournament

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just for those who don't know, UNCheat had a bye or non-D1 opponent the week before GA Tech 6x in CPJ's 11-year run. They have not had one since. The TRM protects its own. The only way they ended up with only 6 was we started publicly talking about it. Here's how it broke down:

2008 - bye (week 9) - W
2009 - next game - L
2010 - bye (week 2) - L
2011 - next game - L
2012 - bye (week 10) - L
2013 - bye (week 3) - L
2014 - next game - W
2015 - bye/non-D1 (week 4) - W
2016 - bye (week 9) - W
2017 - next game - L
2018 - next game - L

As you can see, it didn't help them much as they were 4-7 against us under CPJ.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
The NCAA is weird. 3 game suspension for sign stealing? (It’s not like the signs are hidden and tape isn’t available). Nothing for a perpetual felony/misdemeanor generator of a team (uGA). Laying the hammer down on teams that self report and handle issues internally (Us). Money talks. But I think the NCAA is gonna end up having some issues.

Some could argue that their lax policies and handling of issues contributed to the death and injuries of the uGA crash earlier this year.

Between NIL, and everything else happening. College athletics are a powder keg just waiting for something to happen. I don’t know what, but if the NCAA doesn’t get its s*** ironed out soon, it may get to a point of no return.

slugboy

Staff member
Somebody educate me om the legal / illegal use of NIL$? How can it be used, and by who?
Short answer—it’s not supposed to be directed by the school or the AA.

Really, all the NIL collectives are against the rules.

Basically, a few things are supposed to be enabled by Alston:
  • Players should get money from merchandise with their names or numbers, including from video game usage
  • If volleyball players or gymnasts make a ton of money from their TikTok accounts, it’s theirs
  • If a local car dealership pays players for an appearance, that’s ok
The rest is shady at best. If UNC is in trouble for NIL, then LSU, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, UGA, and some other schools should really be in trouble

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

• Players should get money from merchandise with their names or numbers, including from video game usage
  • If volleyball players or gymnasts make a ton of money from their TikTok accounts, it’s theirs
The rest is shady at best. If UNC is in trouble for NIL, then LSU, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, UGA, and some other schools should really be in trouble
So the school's coach or AD contacts the collective and indirectly decides who get's what $$ ???

CEB

Helluva Engineer

NIL is not pay for play and can’t be associated with the school; collectives are actually against the rules.
Players can’t be contacted before they enter the portal.

BUT

NIL collectives are actively advertising and touting player payments. They’re incentivizing transfers, and programs are announcing transfer commitments several days before the portal even opens.

There is not even an attempt to make any of it appear above board, and nothing or no one is even hinting that a change is needed.

slugboy

Staff member
So the school's coach or AD contacts the collective and indirectly decides who get's what $$ ???
The athletic program should only be involved to make sure there are no rule violations that make their players ineligible. Technically.