Brad Stewart's catch was the best by a GT player since...

slugboy

Staff member
There’s passing more, and there’s also using your wide receivers as a feature weapon. I’d like to see us feature our receivers more.

They don’t all have to be deep passes. UVA threw a couple of passes 4-5 yards deep to Reed and let him use his size and strength against the corners. He made a few people miss too. USF did the same with their big, fast wideout.

We’ve got big wideouts in Stewart, Camp, and Dolphus. I’m sure they’d like to hit other players when they have the ball as much or more than when they don’t. They should be able to be the same threat that Reed is. I’m sure that Cottrell and Searcy and other A backs would like to get outside even faster and beat players 1:1, so there isn’t a shortage of good players we can use in the passing game.

I’m not sure what the range would need to be, but I remember bubble screens to BeBe.

(This went in the wrong thread. Tapatalk is mixing up titles)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That was a great catch! Problem = the ball was overthrown. If TaQuon hits Brad in stride, it's a TD, no question about it. He had - again - faked the UVA defenders out of their shoes and had 2 yards on both of them. They'd never have caught him from behind.

But, hey, he did catch the ball and save our bacon. The guy is just a good WR, period.

Btw, I've heard some people around here getting on Camp's case for not laying out for the pass thrown to him in the end zone. I'm with Camp; the UVA DB was so blatantly holding him and interfering on the same play that there was no reason to assume that the ref wouldn't catch it. Why pull away if there's a sure penalty coming up? Then he didn't make the call. I'm reminded of what Charles Barkley said to an NBA ref once, "Larry, you have to take charge of this game! Curley and Moe won't."

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
And did anyone notice on the same play where Camp was getting held that a defender absolutely tackled Brad Stewart? I could not believe that no flag was called on that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That was a great catch! Problem = the ball was overthrown. If TaQuon hits Brad in stride, it's a TD, no question about it. He had - again - faked the UVA defenders out of their shoes and had 2 yards on both of them. They'd never have caught him from behind.

But, hey, he did catch the ball and save our bacon. The guy is just a good WR, period.

Btw, I've heard some people around here getting on Camp's case for not laying out for the pass thrown to him in the end zone. I'm with Camp; the UVA DB was so blatantly holding him and interfering on the same play that there was no reason to assume that the ref wouldn't catch it. Why pull away if there's a sure penalty coming up? Then he didn't make the call. I'm reminded of what Charles Barkley said to an NBA ref once, "Larry, you have to take charge of this game! Curley and Moe won't."
Understand Camp’s position but you also have to have a sense of what the refs are calling & not calling. The first Vag TD their WR pushed off quite a bit & no call. There were some other plays where they let it ride. Also, the OL practically had to bear hug tackle the DL to get a holding call so it’s far from certain the PI was going to get called with some arm grabbing.

This officiating crew was more of a let the boys play type group. When that’s the case you need to adapt your style because playing by the rules puts you at a disadvantage if the other team is operating on the fringe.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
And did anyone notice on the same play where Camp was getting held that a defender absolutely tackled Brad Stewart? I could not believe that no flag was called on that.

Yes unbelievable.

I wish someone would post a video clip here of Brad getting tackled at the same time Camp was getting bear hugged.

Blatant pass interference of both of our wide receivers on the same play (which was a crucial spot on the game).

If they make either call we likely win in regulation because we run the clock all the way down.

/

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes unbelievable.

I wish someone would post a video clip here of Brad getting tackled at the same time Camp was getting bear hugged.

Blatant pass interference of both of our wide receivers on the same play (which was a crucial spot on the game).

If they make either call we likely win in regulation because we run the clock all the way down.

/

Seems like the zebras don't consider Tech's WRs eligible receivers that can be interfered with or Tech QBs to be eligible for roughing the passer calls.

Yes unbelievable.

/
If you know at about what point in the game that happened, you can find it in the replay at --- http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=faa6ed6d-840b-4518-b948-2cdf5cf548ca

I don't want to rewatch the entire game just to find it, but if you can find it and post the time at which it occurred, I would love to see it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This is the play.

It looks to me like the UVA defender tripped and fell into the back of Brad’s legs. I’m glad he’s not hurt but I don’t think that was intentional. The guy on Jalen should’ve definitely gotten a flag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It looks to me like the UVA defender tripped and fell into the back of Brad’s legs. I’m glad he’s not hurt but I don’t think that was intentional. The guy on Jalen should’ve definitely gotten a flag though.

It wasn't intentional, but it was certainly still holding. It wasn't like they were running together and their feet got tied.

The flag 100% needs to be thrown for what happened to Jalen.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Accidental or not it is still pass interference.

The rule...notice the word intent. It seems like it matters.

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a [defensive] player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The rule...notice the word intent. It seems like it matters.

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a [defensive] player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable.

But Brad was not intended target and thus not eligible for pass interference. Holding is the right call, and from everything I have read, does not include intent.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
But Brad was not intended target and thus not eligible for pass interference. Holding is the right call, and from everything I have read, does not include intent.

I’m pretty certain “holding” involves using your hands and/or arms. The guy didn’t put his hands on him.