Bracketology - Let's Do This

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
helpside defensive responsibilities. that "veer" is proceeded by a ghost screen. from the weakside low defenders perspective, it appears as tho St. B is about to run a PNR between the PG and the 5-man, which likely sucks in or freezes the weakside low defender to help/tag on the upcoming "roll" that never actually happens because its really just a ghost screen.
I love this s———. One final question. Can defenders yell “ghost” or something to help each other?

slugboy

Staff member
I love this s———. One final question. Can defenders yell “ghost” or something to help each other?
I can’t find the article, but one of the stories about Blake Griffin’s buyout from the Pistons goes into exactly that; Griffin recognizing the plays and the wrinkles and calling out defensive assignments like that on the court. The problem is that he knows where everyone should be, but he’s too slow now to get there himself.
A drawback to college basketball is that, by the time you’ve mastered it, it’s time for you to go.
(Oversimplified, and someone may throw in a counter example)
Gt24’s explanation is leagues better than I would have given, and I’m glad he gave it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
A drawback to college basketball is that, by the time you’ve mastered it, it’s time for you to go.

I actually think that is the beauty of college basketball. The focus is on the development and new players stepping up and building a legacy compared to the NBA where there is a lot more same faces every year.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
the design of ghost screens is that they are mixed in with real ball screens. so a ghost screen and a real ball screen look identical until literally the last half second. almost impossible to differentiate, until it is too late. one of my pet peeves (so far) about our roll/replace set is khalid always runs ghost, which is smart, then moses shows up for the real ball screen to initiate the PNR with replace/pop from a guard shooter lifting out of the lane. it's a great play design but if it is all you run that looks like that, after 1 or 2 weeks every asst coach responsible for scout knows that when khalid does that ghost action the rest is always the same. easier to scout and adjust. i wish we ran another version of it that forced defenses (and asst coaches scouting) to struggle with which of the 2 (or 3) sets we are running. instead, we run the exact same thing each time. no derivatives, no counters.

otoh, the last 2 or 3 games, we have started running a horns set as an "entry" into our roll/replace. it's a cool wrinkle. moses at one elbow, a guard at the other elbow. it flows into the same roll/replace we have run all year, but starts differently than the old version (with khalid running ghost). still, even though this horns look/wrinkle is nice, it doesnt align with the older version and khalid running ghost. i love the roll/replace because it is so good for our players (jose, mike, moses) and their skill sets, but i'd like to see it with different variations and "masks" to make scouting it and defending it even harder. i'm not talking a bunch of looks or complicated ****. literally just one or two small variations/counters. could be installed in just 1 or 2 practices. i have wondered (suspected?) all year if pastner is saving 1 or 2 of those for the post-season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We were ranked 14th going into the 2004 ACCT. We weren't a bubble team. We won one game (over #5 UNC on Jack's jump shot) then lost to Duke in the semis. The ACC was loaded that year, with out of 9 teams in the top 20.

If you are thinking of 2005, we were ranked 25th and definitely not a bubble team. We did win 2 then lose to Duke in the final.
Thanks for the correction.

I seem to remember in one of those years our NCAA seed was enhanced quite a bit by our ACCT results. Something to the effect of being closer to an 8 seed, maybe worse, and then getting an ACCT bump.

I do remember going to Nashville and getting my first taste of a Louisville crowd, as well as a place called the Brass Stables.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
watched this several times to diagnose the play design. best part is the BOUNCE pass to half court (combined with aggressive physical post up by the receiver). not sure if the bounce was intentional, but makes it so much easier to catch and make a move with that. probably depends on a cautious defender afraid to foul, but fairly decent chance of that in those circumstances.

tbh, not even sure inbounder intended the pass to go to that guy. the second curler was on his way and passer might have been bouncing it to him?

regardless, a bounce pass all the way to half court for a game winner is pretty awesome.
I think Jose would have stolen that inbounds pass. It was pretty slow developing

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I seem to remember in one of those years our NCAA seed was enhanced quite a bit by our ACCT results. Something to the effect of being closer to an 8 seed, maybe worse, and then getting an ACCT bump.
you might be remembering 2010. Losing record in conference but made it to the ACC tourney and pulled out a 10 seed, losing to OSU.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
So we actually in, or could we be in even with a first round loss? The energy around the program, Pastners comments to team etc. say we’re in. Maybe it’s just tech fan paranoia, but I’m not going to feel comfortable if we lose in the ACC quarters (hopefully we don’t).

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the correction.

I do remember going to Nashville and getting my first taste of a Louisville crowd, as well as a place called the Brass Stables.
I too was there. Still have that god damn
C A R D S chant stuck in my head.....

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Remember we are not playing in the first round - so even if Clemson beats us it is not a "first round loss". IMHO we are in regardless of the outcome of the game.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to play them in the NCAAT. My Spartan friend hate Kenny Anderson this day! You better believe I’ll be walking into the bar with my Anderson GT jersey on if that happens!

If MSU makes it, I’ll probably have them going out in the first game in my bracket for sure (unless they get saved by the bracket scheduling Gods). They will have some strong wins on their resume for sure with the OSU, Illinois, and possible Michigan win. But they haven’t been able to do much away from home. Their wins are @Nebraska, @Indiana, and @Duke which looked good at the start of the season but now is just meh.

slugboy

Staff member
So we actually in, or could we be in even with a first round loss? The energy around the program, Pastners comments to team etc. say we’re in. Maybe it’s just tech fan paranoia, but I’m not going to feel comfortable if we lose in the ACC quarters (hopefully we don’t).
We’re only “in” right now because we’re on something like 111 out of 118 “fantasy league” brackets. If you’re a theoretical 1 through 6 seed, you can feel really good about things. After that, ...

john travolta GIF

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Unless there are a super large number of bid stealers I think we're safe.

Deleted member 2897

We play a team who is already in, so losing in the ACCT is inconsequential. When there are about 45 at-large teams and we’re ranked 30-33, and we finished 4th in one of the best conferences in the country, they’re not leaving us out. Only 1 team in the ACC finished with more wins than us.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
watched this several times to diagnose the play design. best part is the BOUNCE pass to half court (combined with aggressive physical post up by the receiver). not sure if the bounce was intentional, but makes it so much easier to catch and make a move with that. probably depends on a cautious defender afraid to foul, but fairly decent chance of that in those circumstances.

tbh, not even sure inbounder intended the pass to go to that guy. the second curler was on his way and passer might have been bouncing it to him?

regardless, a bounce pass all the way to half court for a game winner is pretty awesome.
No way they should have allowed that ball to be caught. The defender is looking right at the pass and has plenty of time to fight his way around and deflect it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
In the Bracket Matrix, which is basically a competition between everyone from Lunardi and Palm to Lukas Harkins at Heat Check, we are in included in 120 of 122 brackets with an average seeding of 10.58. We really want to win a game in the ACCT IMHO