Bracketology - Let's Do This

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably lost a Q2 win with ND most likely dropping into Q3 territory. Maybe we’ll get it back with Nebraska moving up from minnesota?

Deleted member 2897

If it wasn't a black box, who would you move ahead of Virginia?

- #10 - Villanova @14-3, they were previously #12
- #11 - Loyola Chicago @ 17-4, previously #13
- #12 - FSU, 13-3 previously #16
- #13 - Colgate. previously #10?

I suspect Virginia, FSU and Villanova will all be sweet 16 teams so their NET rankings don't seem wacky to me.

/

Colgate is a joke. 12 total games played, hasn’t played anybody, #90 KenPom. NET has major issues in its formula.

GT11

GT Athlete
The field of 68 sort of grew on us!
NCAA will name and rank 4 at-large ChinaVirus Teams (CVT's) to be announced on selection sunday,
who will also be the 1-4 seeds in the losers bracket(aka NIT)
conferences will name the replacement if it is a one-bid conf champ
of course you must get the virus by 6pm Tuesday or forfeit w no replacement.
Full list of contigencies linked in article
Gotta make sure Duke gets in

Deleted member 2897

In NET, the ACC as a conference went down
#14 FSU
#17 UVA
#34 Clemson
#39 Georgia Tech
#42 UNC
#43 Virginia Tech
#46 Louisville
#55 Syracuse
#58 Duke
#77 NCST
#80 Notre Dame
#87 Pitt
#154 Boston College
#167 Miami
#175 Wake Forest

Ive kind of balled up NET and thrown it away in mind. When you see the seeds and bubble teams, you can tell the selection people don’t follow it closely. It has Colgate as a top 10 team in the country despite only playing like 12 games, and having played nobody. And 8-13 Penn State is #50.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
you can't throw NET away as it is what the committee uses, but you have to believe/hope based on how it's playing out that they're going to use a lot more of the eyeball test this year than they have in past years

Deleted member 2897

you can't throw NET away as it is what the committee uses, but you have to believe/hope based on how it's playing out that they're going to use a lot more of the eyeball test this year than they have in past years

Yes I was being a little hyperbolic. But it’s clear they aren’t using NET strictly either based on their current seeds and predictions.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think some of the weirdness in the NET is that there were fewer non conference games this year for a lot of teams. I think that normally helps calibrate things in the beginning before you go into league play.

Take the big 10 for example. Their main non conference showing was the challenge where they did pretty well against us. After that they’re in league play and creating a self perpetuating loop of Q1 games. Not to say the big 10 isn’t good , but I don’t think they’re that much better outside a few
teams.

Take Wisconsin for example. They were top 25 10-8 in the big 10 but look at their schedule. They haven’t beaten any of the top teams in the conference. Their win over Rutgers is their best conference win. Early in the season they crushed UL and beat Loyola, which set them up going into league play. They also lost to Marquette just like UNC. I guess only the NCAA tournament will show for sure.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think some of the weirdness in the NET is that there were fewer non conference games this year for a lot of teams. I think that normally helps calibrate things in the beginning before you go into league play.

Take the big 10 for example. Their main non conference showing was the challenge where they did pretty well against us. After that they’re in league play and creating a self perpetuating loop of Q1 games. Not to say the big 10 isn’t good , but I don’t think they’re that much better outside a few
teams.

Take Wisconsin for example. They were top 25 10-8 in the big 10 but look at their schedule. They haven’t beaten any of the top teams in the conference. Their win over Rutgers is their best conference win. Early in the season they crushed UL and beat Loyola, which set them up going into league play. They also lost to Marquette just like UNC. I guess only the NCAA tournament will show for sure.
Absolutely this
Colgate is ranked so weird because they have no OOC to turn the apples to Oranges comparison into the typical fruit salad. With NET only taking wins and losses for rankings, OOC helps to create the bridges that set the tiers for each team. The Big10 took care of business out of conference, just like the 2014 SEC west did. Like the 2014 SEC west, they can very much so **** the bed in the post season but given the more-limited-data than normal we have now, it’s hard not to have them where they are at. Feedback loop absolutely exists, but 500 conference teams that end up as 11 seeds take care of 25 win mid majors all the time, due to disparities in competition
Also helps that the teams that had games cancelled due to COVID that need something to prove are at the top of the big 12 and big10 But in the middle Or bottom of the ACC

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes I was being a little hyperbolic. But it’s clear they aren’t using NET strictly either based on their current seeds and predictions.
Yep - and in that I am looking at the committee's top 16 slots. Those teams are all over NET including Missouri which is now below us in NET. Now those top 16 selections are somewhat dated at this point but even then they didn't seem to follow NET very closely below the top teams. FSU being another key outlier. That is why I think they are going on other criteria including the eye test which will likely differ from Lunardi. Just IMHO

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Quick: someone tell @dtm1997 that dan bonner is doing the michigan st game right now
I was gonna turn that on too, because I'm rooting for them to lose to an underwhelming Maryland team, but I was watching Point Break until I decided to put GTWBB on ACCN.

Dan Bonner is just God awful

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I said 17 wins 2 weeks ago would do it , but I was expecting to play BC & nc state , I think now 16 will get us in , maybe 15