Bracketology - Let's Do This

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We remind me, in style, of the Arkansas teams under Nolan Richardson. When you had the ball against them it was a constant fight to avoid chaos. As a result, it was difficult run set plays and the resulting anxiety created turnovers and bad shots.

I think it's a great comparison for the effect it creates on opponents. However I think its a bad comparison in how we create that effect. Arkansas wanted chaos. I don't think we want chaos. Defensively I think we play pretty sound basketball and it's more surgical in how we poked balls away. It didn't feel like there were a lot of true scrambles, but rather we would poke them away and it was just ours. I think it created the same effect of making mental mistakes expecting something to happen though. I'm certain to go back and watch the game, probably multiple times, so I'll make it a point about that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think it's a great comparison for the effect it creates on opponents. However I think its a bad comparison in how we create that effect. Arkansas wanted chaos. I don't think we want chaos. Defensively I think we play pretty sound basketball and it's more surgical in how we poked balls away. It didn't feel like there were a lot of true scrambles, but rather we would poke them away and it was just ours. I think it created the same effect of making mental mistakes expecting something to happen though. I'm certain to go back and watch the game, probably multiple times, so I'll make it a point about that.
Yeah the team breaks on the movement to poke the ball. I made the comparison earlier about animal planet and watching the team attack the ball like a pack of predators.

It is obvious we put time in the film room scouting opportunities for steals and the team reacts as a unit to the movement. Almost before the ball is even out.

The only thing harder than coaching a team and finding the talent to be able to play that way, is trying to run an offense against it.

Milwaukee

Banned
Bama won SEC
wouldn't want to face them early but there are taller teams
Congrats to Nate Oats from Watertown, WI. Amazing story: local kid high school star stayed home and played for this little Div3 college there in Watertown, ended up coaching HS ball in Detroit where he met Bobby Hurley. Hurley was recruiting one of his players to Buffalo. Hurley hired him as an asst at Buffalo then left for Arizona St. Hurley told the AD at Buffalo on his way out that he was bringing him with him to AzSt unless he made him the permanent, not interim, HC at Buffalo. They hired him as HC in 2015 making $250k. He just signed his extension with Bama thru 2027 at 3.3M per year.
Awesome story, wife is a cancer survivor as well.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Congrats to Nate Oats from Watertown, WI. Amazing story: local kid high school star stayed home and played for this little Div3 college there in Watertown, ended up coaching HS ball in Detroit where he met Bobby Hurley. Hurley was recruiting one of his players to Buffalo. Hurley hired him as an asst at Buffalo then left for Arizona St. Hurley told the AD at Buffalo on his way out that he was bringing him with him to AzSt unless he made him the permanent, not interim, HC at Buffalo. They hired him as HC in 2015 making $250k. He just signed his extension with Bama thru 2027 at 3.3M per year.
Awesome story, wife is a cancer survivor as well.
I played against him in the NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association) in the late 90’s. We beat his school (Maranatha) in the elite 8 in Oklahoma City. We lost in the final 4 to a school from California.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
17-10 (9-8), 1 and done in conference tourny, 6th out of 10 in conference, 3-9 against Top 25 = 6 seed

17-8 (11-6), Major Conference Champ, 4th Regular Season, 5-3 against Top 25 = 9 Seed

15-10 (9-8), won play in game only in conference tourny, 7th out of 10 in conference, 5-8 against Top 25 = 9 seed
Welcome back!

slugboy

Staff member
Question, On the ESPN Bracketology they have us as a 9 seed. But UNC and Clemson are 7 and 5. How is that as we were number 4 in the ACC and just won the tournament?
ACC seeding is based entirely on conference record. Our first two games are holding us down in the measures the tournament committee looks at