Bracketology - Let's Do This

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are certainly on the outside looking in. Only way to play up is to win games. Not a better opportunity remains than a top 10 team at home this week. Not going to call it a must-win, but its pretty damn close.

GT_EE78

Banned
according to those NETflix rankings we just had one of the biggest upsets in history
who even knew?
mighty mite 6-12 Valpo just beat an undefeated and top ten Drake!
oh,the thrill of victory and the agony of da feet
i guess we'll move ahead of Drake now .....

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
according to those NETflix rankings we just had one of the biggest upsets in history
who even knew?
mighty mite 6-12 Valpo just beat an undefeated and top ten Drake!
oh,the thrill of victory and the agony of da feet
i guess we'll move ahead of Drake now .....
I am really not getting some of the NET rankings. Drake suffers a Quad 3 loss and goes from 16 to 32. FWIW they have 16 wins including 4 Quad 2 wins.

On the other hand Colgate has only 7 wins, no wins in Quad 1 or 2 and a Quad 3 loss - and they went from 15 to 13 without playing. Makes you wonder what is programmed in those computers.

GT_EE78

Banned
I am really not getting some of the NET rankings. Drake suffers a Quad 3 loss and goes from 16 to 32. FWIW they have 16 wins including 4 Quad 2 wins.

On the other hand Colgate has only 7 wins, no wins in Quad 1 or 2 and a Quad 3 loss - and they went from 15 to 13 without playing. Makes you wonder what is programmed in those computers.
the NET thing has our SoS at 106 versus 48 in Sagarin.
only the RPI is more worthless than NETflix

slugboy

Staff member
Tourneys seem to be on, and Lunardi lays into the idea that the NCAA would look idly on a conference sitting their best team to “sneak in” another automatic qualifier: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ournament-bracket-word-conference-tournaments

Current “last four in” are Maryland, Minnesota, St. Bonaventure, and Stanford: https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...e-varying-states-ncaa-tournament-bracketology.
Syracuse is the 7th team out. Stanford is the last team in. Syracuse is ahead of Stanford in NET ranking, so I’m not sure how Lunardi is doing this.

Our NET is 61. Stanford’s is 51. We are not on the bubble right now, but we have line of sight to the bubble.

Deleted member 2897

Yea our problem is we haven’t played any games at all against the bottom of the conference. Literally 0. If we played the bottom 5 and won them all, our NET rating would probably improve only like 15-20 points - but that’s all it takes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We jumped from 61 to 51 in the NET.

Other ACC moves of note:
  • North Carolina jumped from 53 to 33 after thrashing Louisville. If they finish in top 30, one of our quad 2 wins shifts to a quad 1.
  • Louisville dropped from 32 to 53. Louisville is still looking for their first quad 1 win and should be considered bubblicious.
  • Duke rose from 60 to 55 after beating Virginia
  • Virginia stayed firm at 9

Deleted member 2897

We jumped from 61 to 51 in the NET.

Other ACC moves of note:
  • North Carolina jumped from 53 to 33 after thrashing Louisville
  • Louisville dropped from 32 to 53. Louisville is still looking for their first quad 1 win and should be considered bubblicious.
  • Duke rose from 60 to 55 after beating Virginia
  • Virginia stayed firm at 9

#9 Virginia loses to a #60 team and doesn’t lose a spot, LOL.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
#9 Virginia loses to a #60 team and doesn’t lose a spot, LOL.
Not refuting the logic, but a consideration. On paper, after yesterday's results, Virginia swept what appears to be a better Georgia Tech team than when their prior ranking was calculated. And Virginia was only favored by 2.5 and lost by 1, on the road.

So many moving parts and a black box algorithm.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not refuting the logic, but a consideration. On paper, after yesterday's results, Virginia swept what appears to be a better Georgia Tech team than when their prior ranking was calculated. And Virginia was only favored by 2.5 and lost by 1, on the road.

So many moving parts and a black box algorithm.

Attachments

• Curtain.jpeg
    Curtain.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
If it wasn't a black box, who would you move ahead of Virginia?

- #10 - Villanova @14-3, they were previously #12
- #11 - Loyola Chicago @ 17-4, previously #13
- #12 - FSU, 13-3 previously #16
- #13 - Colgate. previously #10?

I suspect Virginia, FSU and Villanova will all be sweet 16 teams so their NET rankings don't seem wacky to me.

/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Anyone have any idea if the Kentucky game is considered home or neutral for the purposes of NET? My guess is neutral but since it was still played in Atlanta I don't know for sure.

If it is neutral one thing to keep an eye on is a run by them late could help us. They are currently 64th. If they get in the top 50 then our win against them becomes a Q1 win (if it's neutral). With UNC at 33 and Clemson at 40 it's possible that we could pick up 2 or 3 Q1 wins just by other teams finishing strong.

Clemson plays @Wake, Miami, and Pitt with the potential to add a game between the last two. Kentucky plays UF and @Ole Miss. UNC plays FSU, @Cuse, and Duke. It will probably be hard for Clemson and Kentucky to jump that much with who they play, but runs in the conference tournies could help. UNC beating FSU would be pretty big as our win against FSU isn't really in danger of dropping to Q2 but if UNC won that game we'd almost certainly pick up a Q1 win.

Sitting at 51 you have to believe we still control our own destiny. Our remaining schedule isn't the meatgrinder that our first half was but @VT, Cuse, Duke is still Q1, Q2,Q2 and @wake shouldn't be dismissed as we saw what a road win against miami did for our ranking (probably in combination of other factors to be fair).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any idea if the Kentucky game is considered home or neutral for the purposes of NET? My guess is neutral but since it was still played in Atlanta I don't know for sure.

If it is neutral one thing to keep an eye on is a run by them late could help us. They are currently 64th. If they get in the top 50 then our win against them becomes a Q1 win (if it's neutral). With UNC at 33 and Clemson at 40 it's possible that we could pick up 2 or 3 Q1 wins just by other teams finishing strong.

Clemson plays @Wake, Miami, and Pitt with the potential to add a game between the last two. Kentucky plays UF and @Ole Miss. UNC plays FSU, @Cuse, and Duke. It will probably be hard for Clemson and Kentucky to jump that much with who they play, but runs in the conference tournies could help. UNC beating FSU would be pretty big as our win against FSU isn't really in danger of dropping to Q2 but if UNC won that game we'd almost certainly pick up a Q1 win.

Sitting at 51 you have to believe we still control our own destiny. Our remaining schedule isn't the meatgrinder that our first half was but @VT, Cuse, Duke is still Q1, Q2,Q2 and @wake shouldn't be dismissed as we saw what a road win against miami did for our ranking (probably in combination of other factors to be fair).
I believe because we scheduled "home and home" with Kentucky, the win is considered a home win.

This is a good 'team sheet' site that logs H vs A vs N site games, and it has the Kentucky win as a home game too:

Deleted member 2897

If it wasn't a black box, who would you move ahead of Virginia?

- #10 - Villanova @14-3, they were previously #12
- #11 - Loyola Chicago @ 17-4, previously #13
- #12 - FSU, 13-3 previously #16
- #13 - Colgate. previously #10?

I suspect Virginia, FSU and Villanova will all be sweet 16 teams so their NET rankings don't seem wacky to me.

/

Many teams’ rankings don’t seem wacky to me. But many others do (a 7-11 team 10 spots ahead of us). When a #9 team loses to a #60 team and doesn’t lose a spot, that’s coffee spitting.

Our main problems are:
1) Lost 2 stupid games early when we weren’t practicing.
2) Too many games where our opponent had significantly more rest than us.
3) Too many games against the top and not the bottom due to scheduling and Covid.

We were uncompetitive in 1 game out of 20. And that was when we had 1 day of rest before a road game, so that doesn’t even bother me.

I am hoping we only lose 3 more games this year. 1 in the regular season. 1 in the 3rd round of the ACCT, and 1 in the sweet 16.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
definitely rooting for UNC and clemson so we get 2 more Q1 wins. I also was thinking Kentucky was neutral bc it was the “Pitt Boss Grills Holiday Hoopsgiving” event. Unfortunate if it’s not bc they could also get top 50 if they finish strong. VT game Tuesday is extremely important.