Bracketology 2024

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They lost 10 of their last 14 regular season games
They finished winning 5 straight in the ACCT and yes, played their way into the NCAAT. For January they were 5-4, February they were 3-4, and March they were 0-3 (playing UNC, Duke, and Pitt) but 5-3 counting the ACCT. In my book that is closing pretty strong. Perhaps not yours. They are now a game away from the Final Four having won 3 straight in MM.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So it's ok to get it wrong year after year after year and not change the process. I get it now.

I took what Root4GT posted as the opposite of what you thought it meant (I don't know who is right.). I thought he was saying past season's success should not influence current year selection in or out of the NCAA Tournament.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I took what Root4GT posted as the opposite of what you thought it meant (I don't know who is right.). I thought he was saying past season's success should not influence current year selection in or out of the NCAA Tournament.
How can it not be an influence for mid-tier teams who are usually the numbers 5-8 teams from a conference that are invited? How those teams tend to acquit themselves in recent NCAAT’s should matter when you’re comparing 30+ such teams, that are very similar, for maybe 10-15 slots. I would think that factor would matter a lot.

So, the narrative has moved from “ACC sucks” to “ACC’s priors don’t matter?”

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How can it not be an influence for mid-tier teams who are usually the numbers 5-8 teams from a conference that are invited? How those teams tend to acquit themselves in recent NCAAT’s should matter when you’re comparing 30+ such teams, that are very similar, for maybe 10-15 slots. I would think that factor would matter a lot.

I think the narrative is the SEC sucks and ACC deserved more bids. I don't understand what you are trying to say? ACC current season was what should be judged.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think the narrative is the SEC sucks and ACC deserved more bids.
That’s my narrative. Is it yours, too? Ha!
Lots of our folks here seem to argue the opposite. And… I wouldn’t say the SEC sucks, I would say our mid-tier teams are every bit as good as theirs and deserve equitable treatment by the committee. That’s all. I am not at all saying that the ACC deserved 8 bids and the SEC 4 plus a play-in. That would be just as wrong, IMPO.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s my narrative. Is it yours, too? Ha!
Lots of our folks here seem to argue the opposite. And… I wouldn’t say the SEC sucks, I would say our mid-tier teams are every bit as good as theirs and deserve equitable treatment by the committee. That’s all. I am not at all saying that the ACC deserved 8 bids and the SEC 4 plus a play-in. That would be just as wrong, IMPO.
??????

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They finished winning 5 straight in the ACCT and yes, played their way into the NCAAT. For January they were 5-4, February they were 3-4, and March they were 0-3 (playing UNC, Duke, and Pitt) but 5-3 counting the ACCT. In my book that is closing pretty strong. Perhaps not yours. They are now a game away from the Final Four having won 3 straight in MM.

How is a team that loses 10 of it's last 14 a cautionary tale about not overweighing early season games? Yes, they are on a tremendous run. And if they had lost any of the 5 games in the ACCT they wouldn't be in the NCAAT, and it wouldn't be because of the early season losses. It'd be because of the end of the regular season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, who you got for champion this year?

I hate to say it but Alabama looks really strong to me. They are fast on defense, have terrific outside shooting and look like they can match anybody’s inside game.

UNC had a chance to win but blew it against them and now Alabama is feeling really confident on top of everything else.

Caveat to this would be two things. NC State is having a magical run that the basketball gods seem to be ordaining and Alabama may be overdue for a bad game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That is my point of view. Past season's success should NOT influence the current season's selections or seedings. That would be stupid in my opinion.

I take that GT33 is saying that the ACC's prior year accomplishments/success should be a factor in selecting and seeding teams for the current season.

GT33 what exactly is your position on prior years conference teams' accomplishments impacting current year's conference teams selections and seedings?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Stinger do you believe prior year performance should be a factor in selecting teams or seeding teams for the current year's NCAA Basketball Tournament?

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My last word on this subject. It's not so much disrespecting the ACC as over evaluating the BIG ( and recently the SEC). This has been going on for years! Look at the past 10 years. Look how many BIG teams are selected (and seated well) and how few make the final four or championship game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping this conversation was close to being finished but since it isn’t, here’s my two cents worth.

Past success of a conference SHOULD be a factor in conference team selection BUT ONLY IF it relates to individual team continuity. If a team was good in a previous year and returns a core nucleus then, by all means, give them the benefit of the doubt. Let’s say, for instance, that Duke, UNC, Clemson, Virginia, NC State, return a lot of their players next year. We can assume they will probably be at least above average teams, and if their records are good, very strong teams. Let’s also posit that Tech looks competitive in the conference next year. I would definitely think Tech should be given the benefit of the doubt if they are on the bubble for the tournament based on the previous conference’s performance.

This is very different than a preseason football poll that says, as they did several years in a row without any real evidence, “We think Tennessee is going to be good this year because they are in the SEC.”

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping this conversation was close to being finished but since it isn’t, here’s my two cents worth.

Past success of a conference SHOULD be a factor in conference team selection BUT ONLY IF it relates to individual team continuity. If a team was good in a previous year and returns a core nucleus then, by all means, give them the benefit of the doubt. Let’s say, for instance, that Duke, UNC, Clemson, Virginia, NC State, return a lot of their players next year. We can assume they will probably be at least above average teams, and if their records are good, very strong teams. Let’s also posit that Tech looks competitive in the conference next year. I would definitely think Tech should be given the benefit of the doubt if they are on the bubble for the tournament based on the previous conference’s performance.

This is very different than a preseason football poll that says, as they did several years in a row without any real evidence, “We think Tennessee is going to be good this year because they are in the SEC.”
Using your words then Alabama was a proper selection over FSU as that Bama team returned a lot of their players from their prior years very successful teams and should have been given the benefit of the doubt while FSU has been a poor team for years prior to this past season. Heck UGA as a 2 time defending champion should have been selected as well for the CFP based on their returning the core of their prior years team. Clearly next season if it a close call between Clemson and Alabama Alabama gets picked over Clemson as they made the CFP more recently!

That is silly thinking at best!. No different in the NCAAT!

The converse is GT hasn't made the NCAAT in years so as a possible bubble team they should be on the outside over other bubble teams who have been in the NCAAT recently and won a game or two.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Kind of like how the SEC should get extra slots in the CFP because of past performance success? You on board with that? I am not.

Every season is a stand alone season and every team is an individual team.
They already get that. Starts out with over-ranking at beginning of season. If you take yearly head to head results with ACC, they deserve less than what they've gotten but the narrative is they're a much, much better football conference. This is all about power and money. These program have large fanbases, lots of money, they control the media narrative as the #1 source is the company they have a huge TV contract with. Everybody knows what they're doing here. Problem is the NCAA is supposed to be an unbiased manager of the system & they tilt the scales along with the crowd. GT and smaller teams/conferences get hosed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Using your words then Alabama was a proper selection over FSU as that Bama team returned a lot of their players from their prior years very successful teams and should have been given the benefit of the doubt while FSU has been a poor team for years prior to this past season. Heck UGA as a 2 time defending champion should have been selected as well for the CFP based on their returning the core of their prior years team. Clearly next season if it a close call between Clemson and Alabama Alabama gets picked over Clemson as they made the CFP more recently!

That is silly thinking at best!. No different in the NCAAT!

The converse is GT hasn't made the NCAAT in years so as a possible bubble team they should be on the outside over other bubble teams who have been in the NCAAT recently and won a game or two.
You’ve distorted my argument.

I’m not advocating negating actual records, which is what happens when you leave out an undefeated team.

Had Tennessee gone undefeated in football, and beaten both Bama and UGA, I would absolutely have no problem with them being picked over FSU. The argument holds then that you’ve taken into account all the legitimate factors.