Bracketology 2024

slugboy

Staff member
Before the conference tournaments, the Big 12 and SEC look like they have six teams each penciled in. The ACC has UNC, Clemson, and Duke.

Wake was our closest bubble team, and our last game was a dagger. Pitt, UVA, and VT need win streaks to get into bubble watch territory

It’s possible the ACC only sends two or three teams, and three seems like the minimum. If the conference tournament and a few games go the right way, maybe Wake and one other team?

We may be the most hated team in the conference this month. From “blogging the bracket” (which only has three ACC teams in):

Bubble (6, 0 IN)

Virginia, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Syracuse (OUT)

Georgia Tech has now won four of its last five—with all of those victories damaging a bubble team’s chances. Wake Forest followed Syracuse, Miami, and Florida State with a 70-69 home loss to the Yellow Jackets, who made a late Demon Deacon rally irrelevant with a Baye Ndongo buzzer beater.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
ACC will get more than 3 in, once the tournaments start some of these bubble team will get that "good" win.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
If we had their Q3 and Q4 record, we’d be in-or close. If they had our Q1 record, they’d be in
Just want to hammer this home. We are already the highest ranked team with a losing record vs. Q2-Q4. We absolutely have NCAAT talent, but we need to learn to take care of business.

It's also notable that they played 3 extra Q4 games while we played 3 extra Q1-Q2 games. Just the way the cookie crumbles since some of that is ACC scheduling but some of that is also by choice.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Before the conference tournaments, the Big 12 and SEC look like they have six teams each penciled in. The ACC has UNC, Clemson, and Duke.

Wake was our closest bubble team, and our last game was a dagger. Pitt, UVA, and VT need win streaks to get into bubble watch territory

It’s possible the ACC only sends two or three teams, and three seems like the minimum. If the conference tournament and a few games go the right way, maybe Wake and one other team?

We may be the most hated team in the conference this month. From “blogging the bracket” (which only has three ACC teams in):

Bubble (6, 0 IN)

Virginia, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Syracuse (OUT)

Georgia Tech has now won four of its last five—with all of those victories damaging a bubble team’s chances. Wake Forest followed Syracuse, Miami, and Florida State with a 70-69 home loss to the Yellow Jackets, who made a late Demon Deacon rally irrelevant with a Baye Ndongo buzzer beater.

If those four wins were the difference in those teams making the tourney (they were not, but that seems to be the premise), then we cost ourselves a minimum of $5M+ in payouts from NCAAT units.

It is a mildly interesting mental exercise to think about how much each win is worth, and where the breakeven is in winning vs losing and taking the money, in a season where the verdict is written but there are potentially future dividends in play (eg hope/optimism and recruiting momentum).

slugboy

Staff member
The field is already getting set

1710159801721.jpeg

slugboy

Staff member
Update from Jerry Palm
UNC, Duke, and Clemson are in right now.
UVA is in the best position, and needs one win.
Pitt and Wake are both on the wrong side of the bubble, and play each other
VT isn’t even on the bubble, but they’re next in line
Looks like 4-5 teams in the tournament.

Blogging the Bracket just has 4 ACC teams getting in, with UVA being last

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wake's issues are twofold.
First, their SoS is not good.
Second, they haven't beaten anyone away from W-S.
They have some really good wins, but all of them are at the Joel.

Pitt/Wake is an elimination game today.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Update from Jerry Palm
UNC, Duke, and Clemson are in right now.
UVA is in the best position, and needs one win.
Pitt and Wake are both on the wrong side of the bubble, and play each other
VT isn’t even on the bubble, but they’re next in line
Looks like 4-5 teams in the tournament.

Blogging the Bracket just has 4 ACC teams getting in, with UVA being last
Clemson lost the opportunity to get a double bye, then lost to a not-so-good BC team who played the night before and you're telling me they are safely in? I just looked through their schedule and didn't see a quality win for them outside of the one game they beat UNC. Does SC at Littlejohn count as a quality win? I mean this is the same team that lost to us, ND, Wake, BC, Memphis, Miami, UVA, VT, and NC State. I'm with Peacone36 on this, I don't really see how they are a lock. They are more of a bubble team than anything I think.

Crazy stat I saw yesterday, Alcorn State went 13-5 in conference play this year but finished with a 14-18 overall record. They went 1-13 in non-conference play! 🤯 They played Arkansas St., UAB, Michigan St, Clemson, TCU, and Drake just to name a few. Talk about a tough non-conference schedule!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Clemson lost the opportunity to get a double bye, then lost to a not-so-good BC team who played the night before and you're telling me they are safely in? I just looked through their schedule and didn't see a quality win for them outside of the one game they beat UNC. Does SC at Littlejohn count as a quality win? I mean this is the same team that lost to us, ND, Wake, BC, Memphis, Miami, UVA, VT, and NC State. I'm with Peacone36 on this, I don't really see how they are a lock. They are more of a bubble team than anything I think.

Crazy stat I saw yesterday, Alcorn State went 13-5 in conference play this year but finished with a 14-18 overall record. They went 1-13 in non-conference play! 🤯 They played Arkansas St., UAB, Michigan St, Clemson, TCU, and Drake just to name a few. Talk about a tough non-conference schedule!
Clemson is 5-5 in Quad 1 and 5-5 in Quad 2 games. That is excellent.
Clemson beat Alabama (Net #8) at Alabama. That is a very high Quad 1 win!
Clemson beat Boise State (Net #24) another Quad 1 Non Conference win.
Clemson beat TCU (Net #41) on a Neutral floor - another Quad 1 OOC win.

GT was their one "Bad" loss until BC yesterday.

Not sure what you are looking at but Clemson has a good resume. Their OOC resume is one of the top ones in the NCAA.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson is 5-5 in Quad 1 and 5-5 in Quad 2 games. That is excellent.
Clemson beat Alabama (Net #8) at Alabama. That is a very high Quad 1 win!
Clemson beat Boise State (Net #24) another Quad 1 Non Conference win.
Clemson beat TCU (Net #41) on a Neutral floor - another Quad 1 OOC win.

GT was their one "Bad" loss until BC yesterday.

Not sure what you are looking at but Clemson has a good resume. Their OOC resume is one of the top ones in the NCAA.
Not to switch goal posts here, but do you think Indiana St. or New Mexico gets in? I just can't fathom that these two teams are considered "on the bubble" when their NET ratings are higher than Clemson. Of course, now that I say these things, Clemson will make a deep run in the tourney and make me look like a fool for even bringing this up.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not to switch goal posts here, but do you think Indiana St. or New Mexico gets in? I just can't fathom that these two teams are considered "on the bubble" when their NET ratings are higher than Clemson. Of course, now that I say these things, Clemson will make a deep run in the tourney and make me look like a fool for even bringing this up.
Haven’t followed New Mexico or Indiana State. I don’t see Clemson making a deep run. More likely to lose in the 1st round than make a deep run. Clemson is in due to their non conference play.