Bowling Green slides in to 2023 schedule

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There will be a game at MBS in 2023, so there is still a chance for another P5 opponent to be added.

I personally think the TBD opponent should be G5 but assume it will be FCS.

Probably FCS, which is reasonable IMO with two P-5's and one G-5 already on the OOC schedule.

Two P-5's, one G-5, and one FCS seems reasonable to me, and that's the way our schedules are going to be constructed going forward, for the most part.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Jmonty71

Banned
Why don't or can't we start an inner city rivalry with GA State? The cost for each school to play would be next to nothing... I think that would be fantastic.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
An easy win for Georgia Tech what's not to like?:D

When you fall behind your biggest rival because they start scheduling the best teams in the ACC, THE B10, the PAC 12, the Big 12. And we are trying to sell tickets to ga state, bgsu crap games in addition to the usual number of crappy ACC teams. That is what is not to like.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When you fall behind your biggest rival because they start scheduling the best teams in the ACC, THE B10, the PAC 12, the Big 12. And we are trying to sell tickets to ga state, bgsu crap games in addition to the usual number of crappy ACC teams. That is what is not to like.

Our OOC schedules going forward are at least comparable, if not tougher, than Georgia's. We already have scheduled two P-5's OOC for the next 8 years running.

Next year, our biggest rival plays two P-5's, one G-5, and one FCS, just like us. Next year they play East Tennessee State and Louisiana Monroe. OOC scheduling has nothing to do with why we are "behind our biggest rival". We are fourth and they are 31st next year in strength of schedule. As far as conferences are concerned, I don't see anything we can do about that any time soon.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
a
?? 2020 UVa , ETSU, ULM . 2019 Murray State , Arkansas State, ND 2018 Austin Perry , Middle Tenn, U mass 2017 Appalachian State, ND, Samford 2016 NC , Nicholls , Louisiana Ragin Cajuns and next UBA Charleston , and Clemson

Guess I missed the teams in the Big 10 Big 12 , and Pac 12 I would say our scheduling is about the same .

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think great playoff teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St., et al, are worried about if they can beat an in-State school like State or Southern, rather than a G.Webb or Citadel or Furman. If you’re good, you will beat a team you should beat.
We are in no danger of playing the hardest schedule in the country. Now, when we still had all of those SEC teams when we were an independent.....

I don't begrudge you your opinion on the opponents we are scheduling. Your opinion is your own and I won't even try to change it. I will, however, actively wonder what the heck you're talking about regarding teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc... Usually, outside of their own conference games, they play one quality opponent a year and the rest are teams they outman so decidedly that they could show up after having had no practice that week and probably win going away. Bama, for example, plays Georgia State, UT-Martin, and Kent State next year, all at Bryant-Denny. Clemson plays Akron and The Citadel at Death Valley. Ohio State plays Buffalo and Bowling Green at Ohio Stadium. Georgia plays East Tenn St and ULM at Sanford. I get that you don't care what others do. My point is NOT that we're doing the same thing. My point is that you can't use those "great playoff teams" as examples of how WE should behave and be critical of us when we are doing EXACTLY what they do.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I don't begrudge you your opinion on the opponents we are scheduling. Your opinion is your own and I won't even try to change it. I will, however, actively wonder what the heck you're talking about regarding teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc... Usually, outside of their own conference games, they play one quality opponent a year and the rest are teams they outman so decidedly that they could show up after having had no practice that week and probably win going away. Bama, for example, plays Georgia State, UT-Martin, and Kent State next year, all at Bryant-Denny. Clemson plays Akron and The Citadel at Death Valley. Ohio State plays Buffalo and Bowling Green at Ohio Stadium. Georgia plays East Tenn St and ULM at Sanford. I get that you don't care what others do. My point is NOT that we're doing the same thing. My point is that you can't use those "great playoff teams" as examples of how WE should behave and be critical of us when we are doing EXACTLY what they do.
A whole lot of teams play cupcakes Tennessee plays Furman,Charlotte and Troy this season;)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Is scheduling why we fell behind uga? Not sure I've ever heard that as the reason before...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
That’s how F$U made their program and Miami followed suit. They attracted the best players in what was the most fertile recruiting area per capita at that time frame, Florida. Bowden went out West taking road games, to expand the base. Guys want to play for the best, with the best around them to win and go to the NFL.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Couldn’t find any attendance figures on the Ga. Southern game?
I was at the game, and seem to recall we didn’t come close to a sellout, particularly empties on the North End Zone. Although it seemed we did much better than the time Middle Tenn. St. came down here(I believe we had low 30’s?)?
I thought it was pretty packed. Pile of GSU fans.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
What I’m trying to say, is those teams are going to win 10 or more games, no matter who they schedule for those other 3 regular season games. Clemson always plays one marquee game(can’t help 8 ACC games or Cocky game, those are made). Same with Alabama and Ohio St., as Conference affiliations are done deals. How many times has GT won 10 football games in a season during the last 50 years? Not too many. We do things differently here. Why not put 53 k. in the seats with an in-State G5, instead of Citadel, Wofford, Furman, Alcorn St., GW, et al.? We are fighting for a .500 season, which is different than those football factories who schedule 2 cream puffs to “pace the season” knowing they have a good shot at playing 15 games.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I thought it was pretty packed. Pile of GSU fans.
He pointed to a 53k crowd. More than I recalled, but factual. It makes for better competition, excitement than getting buzzed by Furman(I think we had a few bad games with them in the ‘80’s with Bill Curry?)or the Citadel disaster. I remember holding my breath in the G.Webb game we survived with our 3rd string QB trying to run an offense he wasn’t geared for.

I’m looking forward to the Ga. State series. A home game with the second one at Old Turner Field.

I’m not critical of us playing the puffs as the others do. I think most of us realize we are different and let’s play the teams that have a Ga. flavor instead of The Citadel.

Last edited:

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
a ?? 2020 UVa , ETSU, ULM . 2019 Murray State , Arkansas State, ND 2018 Austin Perry , Middle Tenn, U mass 2017 Appalachian State, ND, Samford 2016 NC , Nicholls , Louisiana Ragin Cajuns and next UBA Charleston , and Clemson Guess I missed the teams in the Big 10 Big 12 , and Pac 12 I would say our scheduling is about the same .

To be fair to Silas, you are looking backwards. I think he was looking forwards. Nothing anyone can do about who they scheduled in the past and even pretty tough to schedule anything in the near future too even if you do want to change - I was surprised the Clemson game for 2021 got scheduled just recently. There is starting to be an assumption that by the time 2025+ rolls around, they playoff will be at 8 teams and SOS will be a key differentiator to get in if you don’t win your conference and FCS or even G5 teams start to become a liability on the schedule.

2020: Virginia (in Atlanta), GT
2021: Clemson (Charlotte), GT
2022: Oregon (Atlanta), GT
2023: @ Oklahoma, GT
2024: Clemson (Atlanta), GT
2025 @ UCLA, GT
2026: UCLA, GT
2027: @ FSU, GT
2028: FSU, @ Texas, GT
2029: Texas, @ Clemson, GT
2030: Clemson, Ohio State, GT
2031: @ Ohio State, Oklahoma, GT

2032: Clemson, GT
2033: @ Clemson, GT

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To be fair to Silas, you are looking backwards. I think he was looking forwards. Nothing anyone can do about who they scheduled in the past and even pretty tough to schedule anything in the near future too even if you do want to change - I was surprised the Clemson game for 2021 got scheduled just recently. There is starting to be an assumption that by the time 2025+ rolls around, they playoff will be at 8 teams and SOS will be a key differentiator to get in if you don’t win your conference and FCS or even G5 teams start to become a liability on the schedule.

2020: Virginia (in Atlanta), GT
2021: Clemson (Charlotte), GT
2022: Oregon (Atlanta), GT
2023: @ Oklahoma, GT
2024: Clemson (Atlanta), GT
2025 @ UCLA, GT
2026: UCLA, GT
2027: @ FSU, GT
2028: FSU, @ Texas, GT
2029: Texas, @ Clemson, GT
2030: Clemson, Ohio State, GT
2031: @ Ohio State, Oklahoma, GT

2032: Clemson, GT
2033: @ Clemson, GT
To be fair you really have not won these games and have no idea if some don't pull out before they are played. Why worry about something 3 or 4 years from now , does it make you a better team now because you scheduled someone in the future?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Is scheduling why we fell behind uga? Not sure I've ever heard that as the reason before...

I was responding to a statement -"an easy GT win, what is not to like?"

I am simply saying when ugag is playing oregon, osu, texas, oklahoma or Clemson in addition to sec schools (whether anyone wants to admit that will get more pub than playing an acc schedule), it will be absurd reading the screams of why we don't get better pub.

Yes, EVERYONE plays some patsies. But winning those is not where we will earn our bones.

CGC is just getting started on a HUGE building program, But look who we are playing at MBS. 2 good programs we were going to play anyway, plus some other ACC teams. Nothing new. Glad we are adding ole miss & bama. Was needed.

But the real saving grace will be to beat ugag more . THAT is the key. Not how many small schools we play in comparison to anyone else, and in no way winning the ACC.

Sorry i can not explain myself better, but without beating ugag more all the best laid plans won't matter.