Bowling Green slides in to 2023 schedule

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What I’m trying to say, is those teams are going to win 10 or more games, no matter who they schedule for those other 3 regular season games. Clemson always plays one marquee game(can’t help 8 ACC games or Cocky game, those are made). Same with Alabama and Ohio St., as Conference affiliations are done deals. How many times has GT won 10 football games in a season during the last 50 years? Not too many. We do things differently here. Why not put 53 k. in the seats with an in-State G5, instead of Citadel, Wofford, Furman, Alcorn St., GW, et al.? We are fighting for a .500 season, which is different than those football factories who schedule 2 cream puffs to “pace the season” knowing they have a good shot at playing 15 games.

I see what you mean. And I think there are several things at play, though of course I have no inside knowledge. It's clear now that we've actually put Ga State on the schedule that we're not trying to avoid them. So I would suggest that it's not quite as easy to pick your OOC opponents as one might like. A number of years ago I went through an exercise of trying to see who would be opponents we could schedule for upcoming years as our OOC games. I was specifically looking at P5 and good G5 type teams. What I discovered was that there are a number of things to take into account and I'm sure you can name every one of them (not in any order):
  1. Availability - there were not as many teams as I thought there would be that had an opening on their schedule, in terms of numbers of games at that time rather than available dates, for an OOC game. It got even harder when I felt like most of those teams would want a home/home series. But even without that it was still tough to find.
  2. Desire - I don't mean that teams don't want to play us in particular. I mean that many of those teams that HAD openings already had what looked like a very tough OOC schedule and probably were looking for cream puffs
  3. Home vs Away - many times when I found teams that actually had an opening in their schedule and I thought might have the desire to play us they needed an away game and we needed a home game.
There are certainly more factors than those but I remember doing that and of the teams I looked at there were less than 15 that I could find that year that I thought might pass the criteria above. And then you would have to get past things like whether or not we could come to a contractual agreement, whether they wanted to play GT, and if they wanted a home/home did WE have an opening we could use to reciprocate. I say this all to point out that it's not super easy to put together the OOC opponents everyone wants just because they make sense.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
These cupcake games help the entire athletic budget for FCS schools. Without them, you are looking at FCS schools that cannot field teams in other sports.

https://www.foxsports.com/other/story/money-makes-fcs-fbs-mismatches-go-round-083012
I know this is going to sound harsh, but I really don’t care. If they exist at all they should be pre-season games that don’t even really count against your record and you should have to schedule 12 games against FBS opponents.

Do the FCS teams play division 2 teams? What about division 2 and division 3? NAIA?

Sorry, but funding lower division athletic programs should not be required by the Power 5. ...but even if it is, then just tax the conferences and give that money to the lower divisions.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I can see Bowling Green making you feel that way, but you feel meh about going to the Grove?
Yeah I'm not that fired up about ole Miss. But hey if people on here like it, then that's good. Guess I'm in the Dodd corner on this one.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Ranj.

Agree. I am in the Dodd corner. But, to hold no grudge. Have not looked into this series. Is this home and away??
I would like to see 'Ol Miss in Bobby Dodd. Hottie totties and all. :) How long has it been?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know this is going to sound harsh, but I really don’t care. If they exist at all they should be pre-season games that don’t even really count against your record and you should have to schedule 12 games against FBS opponents.

Do the FCS teams play division 2 teams? What about division 2 and division 3? NAIA?

Sorry, but funding lower division athletic programs should not be required by the Power 5. ...but even if it is, then just tax the conferences and give that money to the lower divisions.

That's a good point, but another aspect of playing these teams is to give them a shot, and once in a while some spectacular upsets can occur. It's like Apollo Creed giving Rocky Balboa his once-in-a-lifetime chance at fame. Without these games, some stupendous and inspiring upsets would never have happened, like Appalachian State knocking off #5 Michigan in Ann Arbor in '07. It's forever a part of football lore, and although Michigan would just as soon forget it, Appalachian State (at that time an FCS team) never will.

I know, it may not be the best reason for old Georgia Tech to chance losing to, say, The Citadel (which it will be some solace to remember beat South Carolina in 2015), or chance a tie with the Furman Paladins, but in general I wouldn't want to give up the chance to see such inspiring and improbable upsets happening across the landscape of college football. FCS has "no chance" against the big boys, but on some sunny day in a massive stadium that dwarfs the little one they leave back home, a scintillating upset of spectacular proportions might be brewing, and it serves as a reminder that taking these little guys for granted might just get you beat. And every one of them these stunners that occurs adds to the lore and pumps just a little more life blood into college football, and renews the spirit of the Old College Try.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I'm not that fired up about ole Miss. But hey if people on here like it, then that's good. Guess I'm in the Dodd corner on this one.

Hey, it’s all good. It is supposed to be a fun time. I have a lot of friends who have been and they all really enjoyed. I hope I get to find out for myself

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’m not too worried about who UGA is playing. We need to focus on us, first.

Marque non-conference matchups can be great for recruiting, marketing/branding and building a team, but I think we’re talking about putting the wagon before the horses right now. We did lose to an FCS team last year, after all. If this transition is going to be as difficult as some say, a few “tune up” games over the next few years should do well for us.

If Collins can get us to flirt with at least 9 wins every season, then I think big marque non-conference matchups would be the next step in building our program.

slugboy

Staff member
Big10 schools have to schedule P5 teams. Purdue, Nebraska, and others need games too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Big10 schools have to schedule P5 teams. Purdue, Nebraska, and others need games too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for clarifying!
That’s probably why 4 of the 6 teams on the 2020 toughest schedules are Big10 schools.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we should beat an FCS team before we stop scheduling them.
crapstorm.gif

:)