Bowl Season

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is all headed to a much bigger playoff picture. The bowls aren't going away but will become part of the playoff. I envision a 28-team play-off with the P4 champions getting a first-round bye (eventually the B12 is going to drop from the P5 rank and the big schools will join other conferences and the rest will become a G5 level conference). It will be a 5 round play-off ending the 2nd week in January. The Bowls will act as play-off rounds.

I would have said that the league championship games would go away (and they may for all but the P4), but conferences don't want to lose that cash cow. Way too much money straight to the conference for that league championship game. I could also see the season dropping back to 11 or even 10-game seasons. 10-game seasons means the two teams playing for the championship would be playing 14-15 games, same as they are now.
Maybe- but 5 rounds is too much time for portal guys and NFL bound guys consider risky.

Money is getting hard to track.
In oilfield boom a best friend of the owner of explortion company was in charge of field purchasing. He would trade materal for cash which he used to buy stuff the company needed. The excess was in his foot locker under the bed . Big money for emergency expenditures.
Mycengr company was hired to build 50 mile 16" and i bought the 3mm$ worth pipe to be invoiced to the oil company. After delivery i sent a letter with invoice to company. Yea, they paid my engr company.
and the pipe company.
I told everyone at work it was a billing mistake. flew to midland w the check and sat respectfully waiting for private meeting w owner. ALL was done in confidence . He did a NICE fruit basket turn over and my company got all kinds of work.

The friend of owner was totally honest but his friends saw the $$ flosting around and they used secret drilling info to get their piece of the pie.
MTSU SCORES AGAIN!
can happen.

FRUIT BASKET TURN OVER

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
I am shocked, shocked, that the two teams with the best recruiting rankings the last five years are playing again for the championship. There is a reason that Michigan and Cincinnati looked overmatched in their games. Hope Kirby gacks it up again, but I got a feeling this is their year.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Same feeling.
I'm honestly ready for a change in cfb to make it a more level playing field , stop rotating that same 4 teams around in the playoffs
Me, too.

I just don't see it coming back to us, but I hope I am wrong. This is one reason I am so sure that at GT we have to play a different brand of FB, if we want to ever be in sniffing distance of the top 5. The delta is getting bigger and bigger between the few "haves" and have nots. And, one of those "haves" that we will be rooting for soon just got our best player.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CFB has become an oligopoly, OSU and Clemson just had down years. Proposal would be to reduce teams that make the playoffs by 10 scholarships the following year and if they make it again another 10 scholarships and stopping at 30 total reductions. If they still make playoffs after that, congrats they are a NFL team. Also give back 10 scholarships ever year they miss playoffs.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
CFB has become an oligopoly, OSU and Clemson just had down years. Proposal would be to reduce teams that make the playoffs by 10 scholarships the following year and if they make it again another 10 scholarships and stopping at 30 total reductions. If they still make playoffs after that, congrats they are a NFL team. Also give back 10 scholarships ever year they miss playoffs.
I mean Alabama pretty much is the NFL team of the state at this point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What I learned last night:

Not much I did not already know. The SEC is top heavy. The B1G is not close to the top of the SEC. Cincy did about as well as anyone would have done.

The best two teams are playing for the championship, so we need to just focus on moving closer to them. I doubt sports will ever again be important enough for GT to overtake those two.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I learned last night:

Not much I did not already know. The SEC is top heavy. The B1G is not close to the top of the SEC. Cincy did about as well as anyone would have done.

The best two teams are playing for the championship, so we need to just focus on moving closer to them. I doubt sports will ever again be important enough for GT to overtake those two.
Agree with two additional observations.

Cincinnati was two batted balls at the line of scrimmage from making it a game with Bama. They looked much better than Michigan who looked like a bad ACC team.

I fear Georgia has everything going for them now. It is hard to beat the same team twice for a national championship. Just ask LSU.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite understand some of the sentiment over bowls.

As for too many bowls... to me that's like saying there are too many walmarts or too many Waffle Houses. These [bowl] games are commodities for consumption. It doesn't cost us anything. Let those who sponsor them invite teams. The experience is great for the players/teams for the most part. Don't watch if you don't think it's worth your time.

Meaningless games? To whom? I don't see any more or less meaning to these bowls than there ever was. If anything the CFB playoff has doubled (from 1 to 2) the number of games that factor into finding a national champion.

The landscape has changed with opt-outs & transfers. But that is much a function of other factors that the bowl structure has nothing to do with. An expanded playoff would help a little but still leaves about 70 teams going to traditional bowls.

Look at today's bowl lineup. Five quality (on paper) matchups. Looking forward to more football.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, Im all for.a bracket system where you need to win your conference to move on to the playoff / championship

The problem still is that at least right now there are schools that still would get blown out.that can't compete at the level of the sec powerhouses

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I am shocked, shocked, that the two teams with the best recruiting rankings the last five years are playing again for the championship. There is a reason that Michigan and Cincinnati looked overmatched in their games. Hope Kirby gacks it up again, but I got a feeling this is their year.
To be top 5 or top 10 all the time in the country then yes recruiting rankings matter.

BUT the difference in a team with a top 25 vs top 40 ranking is ALL coaching.

Until Tech can consistently get top 10 classes then the big difference maker is the quality of our coaches not the quality of recruiting.
If somehow CGC can turn into creating a good coaching system (90% sure that is a NO) then he has a chance to build to top 5-10 type classes.

Last edited: