Bowl Season

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that’s the part that seems kind of stupid.

A few years ago Alabama did not win their conference, were beaten by an undefeated LSU team but got into the playoffs anyway ahead of other conference champions. They beat LSU in the rematch and the rest is history. If I am LSU I want to know why one game counts more than the other especially when Alabama couldn’t even win their own conference.

Georgia is now in the perfect position. Alabama is not playing as well, has key injuries to starters and Georgia now knows what kind of game plan to run. May the gods make me wrong about this.
Exactly my point.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Need OKie St to win to finish off my pursuers in Bowl Mania. Also, KY winning, although I did not pick them (Ferentz > Stoops), because pursuers have more points to lose. Arky was an easy pick in my opinion. Crazy that PSU gave Franklin such a huge contract. But, PSU was also playing without several NFL players due to opt outs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
True. You certainly can’t argue that there is a more deserving team this year. They are clearly the two best. You’re also right that it won’t change until it either fails miserably in getting the right matchup or another model emerges with massive revenue increases.
I just think it makes for a more interesting season if more teams are competing for a championship. Not that my opinion matters to anyone!
I wish the president of the board of governers would work to get a more level playing field by mirroring the way the nfl does their draft.
The nfl ranks end of season record and drafts in reverse order to record.
Not perfect. Somewhat effective. But clear and simple.
Ncaa has power over number of scholarships.
WITHOUT FRUIT BASKET TURNOVER
8 team playoff
Selected- next year = - 1 scholarship. Advance to 4 = -1 more scholarship, advance to 2 = -2 more scholarships, and win natty = -2 more
scholarships.
Natty = -2-2-1-1=-6
The reductions are 100% in next year then reduced by 20% per year.

I am sick of ala, uga, osu, clem. This should impact them the most.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you haven't been watching... 4 New Years bowl games down... one to go. It's been VERY entertaining.

I expect Baylor v Ole Miss to be outstanding. Hate on bowls all you want.. today... you're not correct.

Screenshot_20220101-205850_ESPN.jpg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
An example why some players opt out of playing a bowl game.
Ole Miss quarterback Corral goes down with a leg injury. He is carted off the sidelines.
He is/was one of the top rated quarterbacks.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Good one. 🤣
Im sure some really hard core football fans can find entertainment in any close games but games between mediocre teams the day after the only important games were played simply isnt interesting. Especially when Penn State has 6 of their best players opted out, Ohio State had 4 of their best players opted out, and was down 24 scholarship players in total, ND had two of it's best players opted out, Ok St had a few key players hit the portal before the bowl game, etc. These games aren't even between the same teams we watched during the season. It's just weird subsets of teams that weren't great to begin with battling it out in games no one cares about.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Im sure some really hard core football fans can find entertainment in any close games but games between mediocre teams the day after the only important games were played simply isnt interesting. Especially when Penn State has 6 of their best players opted out, Ohio State had 4 of their best players opted out, and was down 24 scholarship players in total, ND had two of it's best players opted out, Ok St had a few key players hit the portal before the bowl game, etc. These games aren't even between the same teams we watched during the season. It's just weird subsets of teams that weren't great to begin with battling it out in games no one cares about.
Fair enough... I just watched the games. The ones between college football teams. The action was high level (like the semis). The scores & game flow were down to wire (unlike semis).

I guess I got lucky choosing to watch.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough... I just watched the games. The ones between college football teams. The action was high level (like the semis). The scores & game flow were down to wire (unlike semis).

I guess I got lucky choosing to watch.
I might just be overly bitter because of the opt outs. As much as I understand the players doing it, it really kills any interest I had in the games.