Bowl Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't quite understand some of the sentiment over bowls.

As for too many bowls... to me that's like saying there are too many walmarts or too many Waffle Houses. These [bowl] games are commodities for consumption. It doesn't cost us anything. Let those who sponsor them invite teams. The experience is great for the players/teams for the most part. Don't watch if you don't think it's worth your time.

Meaningless games? To whom? I don't see any more or less meaning to these bowls than there ever was. If anything the CFB playoff has doubled (from 1 to 2) the number of games that factor into finding a national champion.

The landscape has changed with opt-outs & transfers. But that is much a function of other factors that the bowl structure has nothing to do with. An expanded playoff would help a little but still leaves about 70 teams going to traditional bowls.

Look at today's bowl lineup. Five quality (on paper) matchups. Looking forward to more football.

I'm taking your advice and not watching any more bowls till the Bama game.

Seriously, does anyone have the viewership ratings for the bowls? I'd expect them to be in a continual decline over the last decade but very well be wrong.

At some point, bowls won't be economically viable and they will die out.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I'm taking your advice and not watching any more bowls till the Bama game.

Seriously, does anyone have the viewership ratings for the bowls? I'd expect them to be in a continual decline over the last decade but very well be wrong.

At some point, bowls won't be economically viable and they will die out.
I dont know if they will die out, more like move to on campus playoffs in the early rounds but still have a sponsorship and a name

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, Im all for.a bracket system where you need to win your conference to move on to the playoff / championship

The problem still is that at least right now there are schools that still would get blown out.that can't compete at the level of the sec powerhouses
I understand the push for that and the logic behind it, but the downside is that it would make all OOC games meaningless pertaining to the championship.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Playoffs have to go larger to create more meaningful games. I used to love the bowl games, but they have lost the appeal they once held. I was for a 8 team playoff, now i'm for a 12.

Watching so many meaningful players sit out the games dampered my interest.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Playoffs have to go larger to create more meaningful games. I used to love the bowl games, but they have lost the appeal they once held. I was for a 8 team playoff, now i'm for a 12.

Watching so many meaningful players sit out the games dampered my interest.
I like what you said but don't like the idea of some teams getting a bye. So take it to 16 or stop at 8. No reason for a bye just because you are from a "tougher" conference.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am dislike both of these teams intensely, but there is little doubt that they are best two. Would a 12 or 16 team playoff have given us a better result? Why change something that works? That is the question right now.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I am dislike both of these teams intensely, but there is little doubt that they are best two. Would a 12 or 16 team playoff have given us a better result? Why change something that works? That is the question right now.
Define “better.” In theory, the top teams are going to rise to the top but if by “better” you mean having 15 games that actually have meaning beyond the two teams on the field and the possibility for an upset having to prepare for 3-4 weeks of top 16 teams, then yes, I say that’s better. Even if UGA plays Bama for the final.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Define “better.” In theory, the top teams are going to rise to the top but if by “better” you mean having 15 games that actually have meaning beyond the two teams on the field and the possibility for an upset having to prepare for 3-4 weeks of top 16 teams, then yes, I say that’s better. Even if UGA plays Bama for the final.
Having a bunch of games with more meaning is not the same as a better result.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So... if the result (avoiding Bama vs UGA) is the goal I’d take my chances with the two of them needing to win three games rather than leaving it to a committee to favorably seed them for a rematch...
You and I share the same desire related to Bama and uga, but the "best" result is having the two best teams play for the championship. From the perspective of the CFP selection committee, haven't they done their job expertly this year? I think their legitimate argument against expending the playoffs is that the current system is working.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You and I share the same desire related to Bama and uga, but the "best" result is having the two best teams play for the championship. From the perspective of the CFP selection committee, haven't they done their job expertly this year? I think their legitimate argument against expending the playoffs is that the current system is working.
True. You certainly can’t argue that there is a more deserving team this year. They are clearly the two best. You’re also right that it won’t change until it either fails miserably in getting the right matchup or another model emerges with massive revenue increases.
I just think it makes for a more interesting season if more teams are competing for a championship. Not that my opinion matters to anyone!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
True. You certainly can’t argue that there is a more deserving team this year. They are clearly the two best. You’re also right that it won’t change until it either fails miserably in getting the right matchup or another model emerges with massive revenue increases.
I just think it makes for a more interesting season if more teams are competing for a championship. Not that my opinion matters to anyone!
My feeling is that the system worked this year but it hasn’t worked in previous years. Cincinnati was the kind of team that normally gets shut out of the playoffs.

There is also the question of when teams are playing their best ball by the end of the season, on par with anyone, but early season losses keep them out of the playoffs.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We wont know for sure until we have it. I could possible see a mismatch taking out one of them in a deeper playoff. I would rather have a deeper playoff and say @orientalnc yeah you are correct than to just guess. Plus it keeps the good players from passing on the playoff since they have a chance to win it all

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There is also the question of when teams are playing their best ball by the end of the season, on par with anyone, but early season losses keep them out of the playoffs.
I think every game played in the season should count equally. If they weren't ready, had guys injured, got an unlucky bounce, etc. it's on them. It's all part of the game.

Take 1990, for instance. If it came down to two teams, the final should have been between Colorado and GT.
Miami had no right to butt into it just because they looked like the best team on paper and won their last 6. They had already dropped the ball twice, one of their losses being against BYU in the opener.

slugboy

Staff member
Argument for expansion to 8:
Cincinnati or the G5 equivalent normally gets shut out. They looked every bit as worthy as Notre Dame or Michigan or other contenders in years past.
They had a shot—they needed a perfect or near-perfect game—but they deserved their shot as much as any other P5 team.
In most years, they’d have been blocked by an Oklahoma State or an Oregon or another team that wouldn’t have done as well.
Maybe Clemson recovers and maybe we have more than a few teams that look like Bama and deserve a title shot. However, I’m gonna root for the underdog and I don’t want them structurally shut out.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think every game played in the season should count equally. If they weren't ready, had guys injured, got an unlucky bounce, etc. it's on them. It's all part of the game.

Take 1990, for instance. If it came down to two teams, the final should have been between Colorado and GT.
Miami had no right to butt into it just because they looked like the best team on paper and won their last 6. They had already dropped the ball twice, one of their losses being against BYU in the opener.
Miami and Colorado were lucky they did not have to play Clemson that year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Didnt the two best teams play recently and one of them lost. How about best of two out of three.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Didnt the two best teams play recently and one of them lost. How about best of two out of three.
Yeah, that’s the part that seems kind of stupid.

A few years ago Alabama did not win their conference, were beaten by an undefeated LSU team but got into the playoffs anyway ahead of other conference champions. They beat LSU in the rematch and the rest is history. If I am LSU I want to know why one game counts more than the other especially when Alabama couldn’t even win their own conference.

Georgia is now in the perfect position. Alabama is not playing as well, has key injuries to starters and Georgia now knows what kind of game plan to run. May the gods make me wrong about this.