Bowl Projections & Rumors

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I am familiar with where Tampa/St. Pete is at geographically, but people still call it south Fla. Where is The University of South Florida located at again?
USF is incorrectly located for it's name, it's in central Florida and even USF acknowledges this on their website.
Tampa Bay is a wonderful city located in West Central Florida
From one of their history pages,
The Florida Cabinet approves the name "University of South Florida," in part because it is the southernmost state university in Florida at the time.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love a revenge win against ucf. We also have been competing for a lot of the same recruits- so a message to them as well.
However if I were to bet I’d say we will end up playing auburn. Which I hate, being an auburn grad- but it makes a lot of sense. I do think Tech would win here as well, which would be another message to a huge recruiting competitor.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gasparilla ain't in south Florida...it is west central Florida. A much easier drive coming down from the ATL - and better beaches. FYI, I highly recommend coming down to Tampa for the Gasparilla Pirate festival at the end of January/early February each year. It is a lot of fun!

I visit the Anna Maria/Holmes Beach/Bradenton Beach/Longboat Key area often. If people don't mind driving an extra 30 minutes...it's worth it. Beaches are gorgeous, and it's full of very good restaurants, and is less crowded than the beaches by St Pete/Clearwater. You can also get around with just a golf cart if you rent one.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We’re all waiting for the CFP to announce. They don’t announce until the conference championships. The dominoes fall after that—the CFP selection show is noon on Sunday, and the rest of the bowl announcements will follow in their own time
If FSU wins the ACC CG, it is highly likely they will be in the CFP. If for any reason they are not, then all the ACC bowl affiliations get slipped one notch.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I am familiar with where Tampa/St. Pete is at geographically, but people still call it south Fla. Where is The University of South Florida located at again?
nobody calls it South Florida. South Florida is comprised of 3 counties - Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. That's it. And, everyone else in FL hates those counties, along with the rest of the US.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Both Mandel and McMurphy have Virginia Tech projected to Duke's Mayo Bowl. Told you guys that's who they wanted. They don't want anything to do with Duke.

One of them has us in NY and the other in Tampa to play UCF.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
nobody calls it South Florida. South Florida is comprised of 3 counties - Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. That's it. And, everyone else in FL hates those counties, along with the rest of the US.
Hate? I don’t know this part of Florida though years ago I was in Miami briefly.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Both Mandel and McMurphy have Virginia Tech projected to Duke's Mayo Bowl. Told you guys that's who they wanted. They don't want anything to do with Duke.

One of them has us in NY and the other in Tampa to play UCF.
I really gotta think that coachless Duke or Syracuse will be the ones to drop to the Tier 2 bowl and we’ll get the Pinstripe at a minimum. Then again, we’ve been shafted in this situation before (hello Quick Lane Bowl)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We are hoping for NYC. We will stay from the 27th till the 2nd. Experience the ball drop and let over Christmas.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I really gotta think that coachless Duke or Syracuse will be the ones to drop to the Tier 2 bowl and we’ll get the Pinstripe at a minimum. Then again, we’ve been shafted in this situation before (hello Quick Lane Bowl)
Depends on what bowl is the shaft. Some would say Gasparilla is better than Pinstripe due to location or even opponent (who wants to watch Rutgers play).

BC and Syracuse appear headed to Fenway and Annapolis. Those feel like the shaft to me. :)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If FSU wins the ACC CG, it is highly likely they will be in the CFP. If for any reason they are not, then all the ACC bowl affiliations get slipped one notch.
I've come to realize that the ACC CG really doesn't affect the other ACC bowls much at all this year.
L'ville is locked into the Orange Bowl win or lose.
The outcomes for the top 2 appear to be
FSU beats L'ville - FSU to CFP, L'ville to Orange as highest rated non ACC Champ available.
L'ville beats FSU - L'ville to Orange as ACC Champ, FSU to NY6 bowl.

In either scenario FSU and L'ville are in Orange/NY6/CFP games.
Orange is contracted this year to take an ACC team. Either the ACC Champ if it is not selected for the CFP, or the highest ranked non-ACC Champ team if the ACC Champ makes the CFP.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Depends on what bowl is the shaft. Some would say Gasparilla is better than Pinstripe due to location or even opponent (who wants to watch Rutgers play).

BC and Syracuse appear headed to Fenway and Annapolis. Those feel like the shaft to me. :)
Fair enough. Helps that the Gasparilla Bowl is in Raymond James Stadium now. Shows how much I’ve paid attention to that bowl the past 5 years, I still thought it was in the Trop but that hasn’t been the case since 2017!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The folks in Lee County (Ft Myers), Collier County (Naples) and Monroe County (Key West) might disagree with you about the composition of South Florida - and nobody hates them.