Bowl Game Question

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Bowls care about butts in seats and eyes on sets. Us being 6-6 losing or 7-5 winning doesn't change that calculus enough to make a difference.
This is silly. At 6-6 we would be candidates for one of the bottom tier ACC bowls: Gasparilla, Birmingham, First Responder, Military, and Fenway. 7-5 with a win over the #1 team in the country immediately takes us out of consideration for those bowls and we end up at Tampa (Reliaquest), Orlando (Pop Tarts), Charlotte (Duke’s Mayo), Jacksonville (Gator), El Paso (Sun), New York (Pinstripe), or even San Diego (Holiday) though that’s unlikely.

In other words: they aren’t putting the team that just slayed the giant in the Birmingham or Fenway Bowl. One of the larger bowls would scoop Tech up right away.

It’s all a moot point if Tech doesn’t win on Saturday after Thanksgiving anyway, though.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope. Bowls care about butts in seats and eyes on sets. Us being 6-6 losing or 7-5 winning doesn't change that calculus enough to make a difference.
I disagree. Beating uga after they have won 28 straight games will both put more butts in the seats and improve TV ratings. I could see it making us more attractive to one of the Florida bowls. But it has been so long since I have paid any attention to bowls, I no longer have any clue as to the bowl hierarchy any more.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is silly. At 6-6 we would be candidates for one of the bottom tier ACC bowls: Gasparilla, Birmingham, First Responder, Military, and Fenway. 7-5 with a win over the #1 team in the country immediately takes us out of consideration for those bowls and we end up at Tampa (Reliaquest), Orlando (Pop Tarts), Charlotte (Duke’s Mayo), Jacksonville (Gator), El Paso (Sun), New York (Pinstripe), or even San Diego (Holiday) though that’s unlikely.

In other words: they aren’t putting the team that just slayed the giant in the Birmingham or Fenway Bowl. One of the larger bowls would scoop Tech up right away.

It’s all a moot point if Tech doesn’t win on Saturday after Thanksgiving anyway, though.
Not silly at all. It’s my opinion. The Bowls pick the teams they want. It’s business for them. Beating uga at this point isn’t going to make us more attractive to the Bowl committees.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Beating uga after they have won 28 straight games will both put more butts in the seats and improve TV ratings. I could see it making us more attractive to one of the Florida bowls. But it has been so long since I have paid any attention to bowls, I no longer have any clue as to the bowl hierarchy any more.
I get it. I just don’t think it would.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Dear Santa,please ignore my letter of 10/23/23 and revisions 1 and 2 dated 10/30/23 and 11/05 respectively. I have come to understand that I was simply thinking only of myself and I have to confess and own up to to that sin. I cannot begin to tell you how bad I feel about those letters and requests. But if you can see it it within yourself to let us beat Uga this coming Saturday and go to a bowl game in El Paso where I understand it is warm in December plus there is access to authentic TexMex food and cheap cerveza then I want you to donate all the items on the three previously mentioned letters to the orphans and the homeless and the needy. Amen.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Beating Ugag would be one for the ages.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not silly at all. It’s my opinion. The Bowls pick the teams they want. It’s business for them. Beating uga at this point isn’t going to make us more attractive to the Bowl committees.
Look. Techs not beating uga. But if we did the fanbase would be so energized the bowl sales from our fans would skyrocket. U are wrong here. Tech would commit to more ticket sales. Fans would turn out more. It would become way more appealing to a bowl committee. The team that derailed the 2x champs. Yes. Sales of seats matter. But beating uga does that….and it definitely changes the equation

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yes it will lol. It’s extremely silly to think it wouldn’t. It would be the biggest story in the sport. Unranked little brother takes down 2-time defending champ. Something the likes of Alabama, LSU, Michigan, and Ohio State haven’t been able to do. Who are they going to pick instead? Boston College? Syracuse? Duke?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes it will lol. It’s extremely silly to think it wouldn’t. It would be the biggest story in the sport. Unranked little brother takes down 2-time defending champ. Something the likes of Alabama, LSU, Michigan, and Ohio State haven’t been able to do. Who are they going to pick instead? Boston College? Syracuse? Duke?
We can go around and around about this, but your position is subjective based on emotion, and bowl committees don't operate that way. Georgia Tech beating uga next weekend won't have any more to do with where we end up beyond us being 7-5 versus 6-6 than if we had beaten Clemson last week and lost to uga next week. We're going to be competing with Duke, BC, and Syracuse (maybe) for these spots anyway. But, you continue to be condescending and dismissing because that just seems to be the type of person you are.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I had seen a lot of pinstripe predictions leading up to the cuse game. Athlon sports keeps saying Gasparilla bowl in Tamp which would be awesome. They’ve said vs Auburn or florida. Im hoping Athlon is right.
Gasparilla is beyond tier 1. We are going to finish tied for third - with the tiebreaker if UNC beats NC State next week. I don’t think we can fall to that one.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s how it works anymore. The bowls behind the Orange all lay in this Tier 1 category that means they all have equal selection status. I think it comes down to bowls giving their preference and seeing how it all plays out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s how it works anymore. The bowls behind the Orange all lay in this Tier 1 category that means they all have equal selection status. I think it comes down to bowls giving their preference and seeing how it all plays out.
The ACC bowl slots will mostly be based on the matchups that will potentially generate the most interest. There's not a true pecking order.

1. College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

Capital One Orange Bowl
Highest-ranked available ACC team, if it’s not the ACC Champion.

First Tier
Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten
Pop Tart Bowl vs Big 12
Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs Big Ten
Wasabi Fenway Bowl vs American Athletic
Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic
ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC (or Big Ten)
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs SEC
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Pac-12

Second Tier
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs AAC, Pac-12 or SEC
TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC or AAC
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs SEC or AAC or Pac-12

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Hoping we get Birmingham. I don't believe in bowl tiers past NY6 and that's the only one I can realistically make with my work and family visit schedule. I'd like to play a P5 team though.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We can go around and around about this, but your position is subjective based on emotion, and bowl committees don't operate that way. Georgia Tech beating uga next weekend won't have any more to do with where we end up beyond us being 7-5 versus 6-6 than if we had beaten Clemson last week and lost to uga next week. We're going to be competing with Duke, BC, and Syracuse (maybe) for these spots anyway. But, you continue to be condescending and dismissing because that just seems to be the type of person you are.
And a Georgia Tech team that’s just beaten Georgia is WAAAYYYYYY higher on the pecking list than Duke, BC, and Syracuse. I can’t believe you think this is even debatable

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Fanbase ticket sales are based on emotion and a GT that beat UGA would have a more motivated fanbase than just about anyone else after FSU and UL in the ACC this year.

But it’s unlikely and honestly I’ll take a low tier one if it makes 7-6 instead of 6-7 a lot more likely for now. Still in rebuilding mode, and win numbers are all that’s left for momentum next year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
More I think about this, BC to Fenway, VT to Military, Cuse to Pinstripe is very likely. Birmingham may happen.
Typically makes sense but Syracuse already played a game in Yankee Stadium this year. That often creates resistance to a v2.

They’re also only a 2.5 point favorite to beat Wake this weekend and qualify.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of misinformation in this thread about records, bowl tiers, bowl selection order, etc... only record that matters in Notre Dame, and even that is weird because there is no selection order.

This is the ACC bowl tie-ins.

1 - Playoffs
2 - Orange Bowl - highest ranked ACC team remaining
3 - NY6 bowl - Any ACC team ranked high enough to get one of these bids

4 through 12:
Pinstripe Bowl
Pop Tart Bowl
Duke's Mayo Bowl
Fenway Bowl
Military Bowl
ReliaQuest Bowl
Holiday Bowl
Gator Bowl
Sun Bowl

Other Bowl Games if we still have teams eligible that weren't placed above:
Gasparilla Bowl
Birmingham Bowl
First Responder Bowl

From the linked article:
Notre Dame is eligible for any ACC bowl tie-in as long as it’s within one game of the team eligible for the slot. However, it’s not eligible to go to the Orange Bowl as an ACC member.

The ACC bowl slots will mostly be based on the matchups that will potentially generate the most interest. There's not a true pecking order.

The Sun Bowl website even confirms the selection order but who knows what happens in the conference call with the ACC and bowl partners. https://www.sunbowl.org/the_sun_bowl_game/team_selection_process

I think we can all agree in that tier of bowls that the "better" teams will go to the ReliaQuest Bowl, Gator Bowl, Pop Tart Bowl, and Holiday Bowl historically. The Sun and Duke's Mayo seem next. Pinstripe, Fenway, and Military at the bottom of that tier. Though technically, that's not how it's documented.

I think it's safe to say as of today that FSU and Louisville will participate in the Playoffs, Orange Bowl and/or a New Years Six bowl. This assumes Louisville beats Kentucky because two losses might change things.

Notre Dame will get the ReliaQuest, Pop Tart, or Gator bowl and I'm guessing Clemson and the UNC/NCSU winner join them in those three bowls.

The Holiday and Sun Bowls seem like they will get Miami and the UNC/NCSU loser. I could easily see the Duke's Mayo bowl lobbying for the UNC/NCSU loser and send Duke to El Paso or San Diego. The Duke's Mayo bowl has had UNC, NCSU, WF, VT, or UVA for 8 straight years! That would leave GT and BC in the Pinstripe and Fenway bowl and it makes sense to put BC in Fenway.

What could change here?
VT or Syracuse could become bowl eligible. VT seems like a good fit for the Military bowl so they are probably irrelevant. Syracuse could get sent to the Pinstripe Bowl freeing up someone (GT?) to play in Gasparilla or Birmingham or another negotiated bowl to create a compelling matchup.

The Holiday bowl might want to setup a Clemson vs Oregon State game (DJ Uiagele revenge game!!!). That could put GT, Miami or the UNC/NCSU loser in the Gator or Pop-Tart bowl. Lots of variables and we don't have any clue what goes on behind closed doors.

Possible Opponents or each options:
ReliaQuest: LSU (small chance it's Ole Miss)
Gator: Tennessee
Pop Tart: Kansas, Kansas St, or Oklahoma State
Holiday: Oregon State but Utah or UCLA could be options - Arizona seems destined for Alamo with their strong finish
Sun: Utah with UCLA or USC as options
Duke's Mayo: Kentucky or Auburn
Pinstripe: Rutgers
Fenway: Memphis or SMU - assumes Tulane to the NY6
Military: Memphis or SMU - assumes Tulane to the NY6