Bobinski Q&A

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thx for posting...will read it tomorrow. First Q should be....Why don't you pay your head fb coach, and his staff, more.... and place Tech at a competitive level with regards to coaching staff quality and stability? 2nd Q.....are you too much of a dufus to understand that their value to the athletic dept is greater than your value? :)

Thx for posting...will read it tomorrow. First Q should be....Why don't you pay your head fb coach, and his staff, more.... and place Tech at a competitive level with regards to coaching staff quality and stability? 2nd Q.....are you too much of a dufus to understand that their value to the athletic dept is greater than your value? :)
Well, seeing as how I haven't heard of any of our coaching staff beating down the doors to leave, I would say that they are quite comfortable with whatever financial packages they are given. Should they be paid more? Possibly, but we also don't have the bankroll at Tech that they do in Athens or any of the other football factories. Winning games brings in additional revenue, and Johnson and his staff are keeping their end of the bargain and, like I said, apparently not complaining about it. I feel pretty confident that MBob appreciates their value to the athletic department a helluva lot more than DRad did. He did a good job of upgrading facilities, but quite often at the expense of the overall program. I have Clemson friends who are already beginning to see that same thing in him now that he's AD over there.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, seeing as how I haven't heard of any of our coaching staff beating down the doors to leave, I would say that they are quite comfortable with whatever financial packages they are given. Should they be paid more? Possibly, but we also don't have the bankroll at Tech that they do in Athens or any of the other football factories. Winning games brings in additional revenue, and Johnson and his staff are keeping their end of the bargain and, like I said, apparently not complaining about it. I feel pretty confident that MBob appreciates their value to the athletic department a helluva lot more than DRad did. He did a good job of upgrading facilities, but quite often at the expense of the overall program. I have Clemson friends who are already beginning to see that same thing in him now that he's AD over there.
I wonder how Alabama's AD would have answered the same questions? I'm not making a judgement just wondering.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Great question for the AD who grew the football support staff 300 percent, upped the dc pay and the hc contract from the predecessor. You guys are way too hard on him. He is doing a far better job than he is getting credit for imo. All of pauls assistants got a raise this year something like 15-20 percent. Oh. Fyi. The avg employee is getting 3-5 percent. Lets play nice for a day. We all have our faults. But he is doing a far better job than both braine and rad at supporting the football program.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Great question for the AD who grew the football support staff 300 percent, upped the dc pay and the hc contract from the predecessor. You guys are way too hard on him. He is doing a far better job than he is getting credit for imo. All of pauls assistants got a raise this year something like 15-20 percent. Oh. Fyi. The avg employee is getting 3-5 percent. Lets play nice for a day. We all have our faults. But he is doing a far better job than both braine and rad at supporting the football program.
The football staff is making way more for GT than the average employee and spends way more time doing so.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Do people proofread articles anymore? Jeez there were a lot of silly mistakes in that article.
Hardly at all, and if so, only once, and often by the writer, which is a recipe for foolishness. The reason is as simple as it is dumb, like getting a bad restaurant review and making your menu worse, people. The money is in people and that is where the media goes for its savings, particularly print. Our local newspaper I am told has half the staff it had just 10 years ago and has had three layoffs in three years while being sold twice. (Eventually somebody at the bottom of this Ponzi scheme is toast.)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hardly at all, and if so, only once, and often by the writer, which is a recipe for foolishness. The reason is as simple as it is dumb, like getting a bad restaurant review and making your menu worse, people. The money is in people and that is where the media goes for its savings, particularly print. Our local newspaper I am told has half the staff it had just 10 years ago and has had three layoffs in three years while being sold twice. (Eventually somebody at the bottom of this Ponzi scheme is toast.)
About ten years ago I was a guest columnist for the paper in Macon. I was friends with the head of the editorial department as well as a couple of other department heads. Over time massive cuts in the budget to keep the paper viable essentially meant that all proof readers were dumped. After I left to move to Massachusetts they essentially relied on technology to catch all mistakes. It made reading the paper an adventure on some days.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
It is an "interview", obviously, only in the sense he responded to questions. Obviously written questions and responses. Could have been and might have been produced by a stenographer.

I need to hit you up the next paper I write.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
About ten years ago I was a guest columnist for the paper in Macon. I was friends with the head of the editorial department as well as a couple of other department heads. Over time massive cuts in the budget to keep the paper viable essentially meant that all proof readers were dumped. After I left to move to Massachusetts they essentially relied on technology to catch all mistakes. It made reading the paper an adventure on some days.
You know Joe Kovac? That guy writes good stuff.
I'm assuming this was at The Telegraph?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That fits right into the window of the onset of the demise of newspapers I think. I read a piece in which an editor boasted that reporters proofed, or "edited", their own writing, and then posted it online first before print. Gulp. As you note, adventure awaits and one can see the traps in just simple football message boards. We all at one time or another use the wrong word or tense or confuse words, mess up a fact or make misstatements -- just plain get stuff wrong -- but professional journals are supposed to have editors down stream to snare such egregious errors. At least we have an excuse. But just in sports pages I have seen wrong pennant winners, wrong bowl winners or years, wrong leagues and teams matched, not to mention scores and records. And that is the playpen, the sandbox. Just think about those errors in really serious writing. I suppose if there is no floor to what owners or publishers fear, then the gloves are off. A shame.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
I worked for 18 years in the newspaper profession...sports writer up to editor and general manager. Back in the days of Tech SID Ned West and journalist Furman Bisher, Jesse Outlar, Charlie Roberts, Richard Hyatt and Lewis Grizzard. When computers replaced the laptop typewriters it seems the ability to write was victimized. There were two newspapers in Atlanta back then...the Constitution in the morning and the Journal in the evening and they covered the entire state. Over the next few years all we are going to have left in print, I fear, are a smattering of local community weekly editions. A great art lost.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I worked for 18 years in the newspaper profession...sports writer up to editor and general manager. Back in the days of Tech SID Ned West and journalist Furman Bisher, Jesse Outlar, Charlie Roberts, Richard Hyatt and Lewis Grizzard. When computers replaced the laptop typewriters it seems the ability to write was victimized. There were two newspapers in Atlanta back then...the Constitution in the morning and the Journal in the evening and they covered the entire state. Over the next few years all we are going to have left in print, I fear, are a smattering of local community weekly editions. A great art lost.
Those were the golden years of sportswriting with great sportswriters. As you note, a great art is gone or near gone and reading sports pages and sports columnists now tends to be laborious rather than just plain enjoyment. One of my all-time favorite passages was in a book about Stanley Woodward, former sports editor of the NY Herald-Tribune. A legend. Covered the Army-ND game one year, Army got mauled, big time, and Red Blaik explained to reporters that the problem was a half-turn of the ball in the snap to the QB. In his column the next day Woodward wrote, "That is like blaming the Johnstown flood on a leaky toilet in Altoona." And now we have ESPN.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Lewis Grizzard loved the mutts but he was so funny. In an attempt to get a favorable mention my companies marketing department sent him a Carrier pigeon through which he could make his reply. In response Grizzard had a box of chicken bones delivered to the dept with a note that stated "thanks for the bird, it tasted great" .

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Good days indeed. I recall running out from my dorm room on Sunday mornings to get the paper so I could read what Jesse and Furman had to say about the Tech victory the previous day. Cost the outrageous price of 25 cents for the Sunday edition...half of it was advertising...but it was worth it. Jesse was usually very kind with his comments about Tech.