Bobby Dodd Stadium

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes I am complaining. It should not take me over ten minutes to get into the stadium when only about 30k to 35k people are actually at the game. I have never been to any other sporting event where that happens. It is an embarrassment. Last year, I waited in line for over 15 minutes because there was a communication issue about the coaches going to the press box. Several hundred people were not allowed to go through the gate while waiting for the coaches to come through the security area. What the coaches really wanted was just a clear path to get in the gate. They did not want the whole gate closed.

To further compound the issue, didn't someone post an article not to long ago that stated our IE department had made multiple changes to the game day experience to shorten the lines at the gate and the vending areas? Isn't our IE school supposed to be the best in the nation? Can't we do anything right to make the game day experience better? It seemed to me that NO ONE in the security lines knew what they were doing. Don't get me wrong, they are all very friendly people, but I would take rude people that know what they are doing over friendly people that are clueless. It may not be their fault - they may not be adequately trained, or they may be understaffed, or (worse yet) they might be doing exactly what our administration wants.

Honestly it is almost as if our administration is purposely trying to make the game day experience as bad as possible. I wish someone on this board was a personal friend of Stansbury so that maybe some of this issues could be addressed. If not, I am going to begin to watch games at home. And I attend about 4 to 5 football games per year and at least one basketball game. It is a 2.5 hour drive for me and it is beginning to be more trouble than what it is worth.

And finally, if I ever believe that guns and bombs are a real problem, then I am not going to bring my family to another game - because I do not trust that our security staff is competent enough to catch anyone that is carrying some type of weapon into a game. They are more concerned about some guy sneaking a granola bar into the game than they are a gun.

Sorry. She asked me about my Summer, and I had a really eventful summer.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Getting out of MB Stadium was a mess. What if there were an actual emergency and the stadium needed to empty?

But back to BDS@HGF. The new gate check definitely took longer. I would like to see additional lines or lanes to reduce line length.

Also

Both stadiums need to revamp those bathrooms.

I miss peeing on the wall in the east upper deck bathrooms. Something unique about the old urinals.

Getting out of MB Stadium was a mess. What if there were an actual emergency and the stadium needed to empty?

But back to BDS@HGF. The new gate check definitely took longer. I would like to see additional lines or lanes to reduce line length.

Also

I miss peeing on the wall in the east upper deck bathrooms. Something unique about the old urinals.
I go in the North Ave gate (gate 9???), and although they funneled us through a line, it actually went faster than it has in the past, because there was always a mass of humanity on North Avenue all trying to get in the gates at the same time.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yes I am complaining. It should not take me over ten minutes to get into the stadium when only about 30k to 35k people are actually at the game.

10 whole minutes? We waited about 15 to get in Saturday and were very happy...compared to every other sporting event I've ever been to in my entire life that was a breeze.

Assuming you've flown before: how do you react at airports when they don't just let you jog through the thousands of people in various checkpoints? Honest question.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
10 whole minutes? We waited about 15 to get in Saturday and were very happy...compared to every other sporting event I've ever been to in my entire life that was a breeze.

Assuming you've flown before: how do you react at airports when they don't just let you jog through the thousands of people in various checkpoints? Honest question.

Other sporting events that are packed with 70 to 90k people I can understand the wait times. Not 10 to 15 min wait time for 30 to 35k.

As far as the airports go, I still think the wait times (which have been as much as 45 minutes but as little as 5 minutes) are understandable. People have been hijacking planes for over 40 years. Since 9/11 there is a real threat that planes themselves could be used as weapons. In the 100 plus years of games at Bobby Dodd, no one in my recollection has ever tried to hold anyone hostage or blow the stadium up. And really, who is going to make a political statement in a stadium with only 35k fans in a game between Ga Tech and Jax State?

Other sporting events that are packed with 70 to 90k people I can understand the wait times. Not 10 to 15 min wait time for 30 to 35k.

As far as the airports go, I still think the wait times (which have been as much as 45 minutes but as little as 5 minutes) are understandable. People have been hijacking planes for over 40 years. Since 9/11 there is a real threat that planes themselves could be used as weapons. In the 100 plus years of games at Bobby Dodd, no one in my recollection has ever tried to hold anyone hostage or blow the stadium up. And really, who is going to make a political statement in a stadium with only 35k fans in a game between Ga Tech and Jax State?
NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING !!!

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

There weren't just 30k people. Just wrong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Both stadiums need to revamp those bathrooms.
Indelicate though it be to relate, I think the pissoirs in the Grant Field men's room are a marvel of efficiency. If someone would come up with a female version of them, he would make a fortunate bigger then Bill Gates.

The rest can best pass without mention, I think.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

One of the great things about Grant Field was the in-floor pee troughs. So efficient. As an IE, I thought it was great. I hated going to other stadia with urinals and the associated long lines at halftime.

Of course, all great things get screwed up, and they put in urinals. Architects were probably involved. Staying up all night doing projects kills all the cells in the left brain.

Jmonty71

Banned
All I have to say is I took my son and daughter in law to the game. They loved the stadium, They loved the fans that were around them. They want to come back to more game. Because of the way we treat new folks, we grow fans. So, we added to more fans to the base. All I can say is, thank you for the folks in 215, for being awesome!

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
All I have to say is I took my son and daughter in law to the game. They loved the stadium, They loved the fans that were around them. They want to come back to more game. Because of the way we treat new folks, we grow fans. So, we added to more fans to the base. All I can say is, thank you for the folks in 215, for being awesome!
You should've brought them to section 218. They would want to move there full-time and never leave.

bowdon rambler

Georgia Tech Fan
You have to watch the vendors that come around to your seats. I gave a guy a 20 for a 4 dollar water. He asked if he could have a dollar tip. I said that would be okay. He gave me back 11 dollars. When I confronted he said I told him he could have a dollar tip. We went round and round til he gave me the other 4 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the great things about Grant Field was the in-floor pee troughs. So efficient. As an IE, I thought it was great. I hated going to other stadia with urinals and the associated long lines at halftime.

Of course, all great things get screwed up, and they put in urinals. Architects were probably involved. Staying up all night doing projects kills all the cells in the left brain.
The pee troughs were the best ever... It's like they said to themselves, "What's the best way to let hundreds of drunk, male college students pee as quickly as possible without getting it on themselves or anyone else?"...

crut

Helluva Engineer
lol I don't understand why people choose to understate GT's attendance when it provides them no benefit. You don't have to be like Kirby and overstate it by 20k (he said 45K uga fans were at Notre Dame, it was about 25K)... But you can at least sell the truth. There were only ~10K empty seats Saturday.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
lol I don't understand why people choose to understate GT's attendance when it provides them no benefit. You don't have to be like Kirby and overstate it by 20k (he said 45K uga fans were at Notre Dame, it was about 25K)... But you can at least sell the truth. There were only ~10K empty seats Saturday.
No way there were only 10k empty seats. I might be convinced that 40k people were at the game if you sell me on the idea that all of the empty seats in the lower east stands were because people were taking refuge from the sun.

But to say that 45k people were at the game is not realistic. The North stands were half full at best. The east stands were 2/3 to 3/4 full at best. The lower west stands were almost full but the upper west stands were not.

I would imagine it is a matter of perspective. If you sit in section 207 (like me) the stadium looks more empty than what it is because 207 is sparsely populated and you see all those empty seats in the north and lower east stands.

If you sit on the east side, you see the full lower west and a fair sized crowd in the upper west and it skews your perspective to think the stadium is more full then it actually is.

Still, there was not 45k people at the game.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Also

Delayed exit from MBS due to fat Vol fans having to turn sideways to get through doorways.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You have to watch the vendors that come around to your seats. I gave a guy a 20 for a 4 dollar water. He asked if he could have a dollar tip. I said that would be okay. He gave me back 11 dollars. When I confronted he said I told him he could have a dollar tip. We went round and round til he gave me the other 4 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What the heck is going on with the vendors? Is this some new GTAA policy, or something with the concession company? We had a Coke vendor standing at the top of our aisle, not even walking around. As people passed her to go get concession or use the bathroom, they would buy a drink from her and she would ask for tips.

Never seen anything like that at a ballgame. I know those trays, full of ice, are heavy and it was hot, but that was a known factor.

What the heck is going on with the vendors? Is this some new GTAA policy, or something with the concession company? We had a Coke vendor standing at the top of our aisle, not even walking around. As people passed her to go get concession or use the bathroom, they would buy a drink from her and she would ask for tips.

Never seen anything like that at a ballgame. I know those trays, full of ice, are heavy and it was hot, but that was a known factor.
That should be reported to stadium concessions management