Bo Pelini out at Nebraska

Eli

Helluva Engineer
We hope. What exactly has he done to inspire confidence so far?
He has given pj help with the recruiting office like he asked. It has been stated that they are working on the deal multiple times. What else do you guys want? The deal will get done

jacket22

Georgia Tech Fan
If serious about building a winning program they best lock CPJ up now if we lose him with the kids we have in house and those committed Tech would face a downward trend for 3 or more years as these players only fit into CPJ'S system

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Consistency. He has not shown a level of consistency. He exceeded expectations this year, and he has earned more time. But this is where immature people in charge of football programs go wrong all the time. They panic and lock themselves into a lucrative buyout. The coach that looked great one season turns out not to be so great on a consistent basis, and the school is financially frozen into inaction for YEARS. We've actually had it happen not just with Gailey but with Hewitt in basketball. Virginia is facing this with London now. It's immature and foolish to lock yourself into something you can't get out of. You must stay nimble and you must stay fleet of foot. Now, come back with a few years of consistent excellence. Show me that you've built something that's sustainable, and I'd be willing to talk long-term commitment. O'Leary was someone who I thought had proven a level of consistency and increasing success. He happened to have his eye on Notre Dame, but had he wanted to make a commitment long term to Tech, I think it would have been appropriate to offer him that. Johnson has had a good year. In a week, it might turn out to have been a great year. But we can't jump pell-mell into a hasty decision, or we are going to regret it.
I would take the counter position that CPJ has demonstrated a lot of consistency. He has CONSISTENTLY outperformed media pre-season predictions. He has consistently been at or above .500 in the league. He has consistently produced offensive teams that are among the nations leaders in TOP, rushing yards, and scoring. His DOWN YEARS have been bowl eligible years and his good years double digit victories with division championships and / or major bowl appearances. It is pretty hard to get MORE consistent than that. What are you looking for? Consistent conference championships?

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Haters gonna hate. If Mbob doesn't get this done I will personally see him shown out of town on a rail.

If you can't appreciate what Johnson has done here at Tech, you will never be happy and are obviously oblivious to our history in the modern era.

It is precisely because of our history in the modern era that I am concerned that we are going to fall into the same trap again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We let Braine make rash decisions TWICE, on Gailey and on Hewitt. Hewitt rode that one good season to a massive 6-year rolling contract, payable in full upon termination. Gailey was given a massive extension and buyout after a mediocre season. Does anyone remember the outrage following that? I sure do. The extension was done in secret, and it ended up costing the school dearly, and resulted in several wasted years of mediocrity. And if you're one of those who thinks Tech has never been that great consistently and therefore it is unreasonable to strive toward greatness, then you are a defeatist and a sad case who can't be helped. I happen to think that Tech can be just as great (consistently, year after year) as any of the Top 10 programs out there. But it starts with making sure we don't make a rash, hasty decision that locks us into another disastrous contract until we are reasonably sure we have a consistently highly performing football program.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We have won 10 games 9 times in our history. (By my count) CPJ owns 2. CPJ has the best winning percentage since Dodd. We have gone to one of the Big 4 bowl games since Dodd. Guess who? We have played the pups during their best run in their history and are 2-2 in Athens. Yes we could be better, but their are about 90 teams that would love to be in our shoes right now

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear rumors from Tech finance side people that perhaps Mbob wasn't putting a national championship football team up front on his priorities just yet, and that the season and CPJ's asks are causing some reshuffling of planning.

Can't comment on the veracity, but it makes sense that Mbob might need some time to reshuffle a 15 year goal into a next year to next 5 years goal. Were that to be the case, I could see that he'd have a big list of stakeholders and donors to inform that their projects are getting moved back before he can sign on the line.
Good point. Nobody expected this team to do what they did this year. I imagine there are some things to reshuffle but I'm confident the deal will be made. I think PJ wants to retire here.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
It is precisely because of our history in the modern era that I am concerned that we are going to fall into the same trap again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We let Braine make rash decisions TWICE, on Gailey and on Hewitt. Hewitt rode that one good season to a massive 6-year rolling contract, payable in full upon termination. Gailey was given a massive extension and buyout after a mediocre season. Does anyone remember the outrage following that? I sure do. The extension was done in secret, and it ended up costing the school dearly, and resulted in several wasted years of mediocrity. And if you're one of those who thinks Tech has never been that great consistently and therefore it is unreasonable to strive toward greatness, then you are a defeatist and a sad case who can't be helped. I happen to think that Tech can be just as great (consistently, year after year) as any of the Top 10 programs out there. But it starts with making sure we don't make a rash, hasty decision that locks us into another disastrous contract until we are reasonably sure we have a consistently highly performing football program.

Flexibility is a critical advantage, but a fear of committing to a plan is a uniquely crippling kind of inflexibility. The Gailey contract may have been a bad idea. At the very least firing him after one mediocre season was a grand exercise in reflexive podiatric target practice. The Hewitt contract was a really foolish decision. Hiring and firing based on season outcomes is the real dumbass move. Management that promotes based on bottom line results quarter to quarter with no insight to the state or dynamics of the business is arguably the central cause of the inefficiency of large corporations in spite of economies of scale. If that's 'management' I can write 20 lines of code that will render senior management redundant. You just check performance periodically, and if a failure state is reached, hire talent consultants and randomly pick from their list of replacements.

You have to examine why we are winning or not, and make a decision to commit to a coach based on your assessment of those trends and their likelihood of change. To win in the future, will Georgia Tech need to change the way it operates in a way that CPJ will hinder or make impossible? Do those possible hindrances outweigh the advantages that committing to that resource brings?

I'd argue that with Hewitt we lacked enough information to determine our strategic strengths under that coach. Gailey was, I think, just a poor decision. He made very solid gains in recruiting, and with Tenuta he managed to create some fine defense. But plugging increasing quality athletes into the O did not produce increasing competitive gains, and even the 06 season leading up to the ACCCG was not indicative of a sustainable competitive advantage. Small note, as I remember it DRad said he started deciding to fire CCG starting with the Georgia game in 06. That would make him an enormous idiot.

With CPJ we have the opportunity to start building an identity in football in a way we haven't had since Dodd. We're smart and hard workers and that's why we win so damn much. If we can maintain success for a while, kids across the country who hate the prima donna *******s out there start dreaming about winning a championship at Georgia Tech, where every one of your teammates has your back, and everyone counts on everyone to finish the game. Hell, give us 10 years of success and good recruiting and the NFL starts to notice the GT players that don't ever have issues with partying in 6 separate cities instead of practicing in the off season and always give their all to contribute however they can.

Being too afraid to be a lightbulb company because you might want to be a semiconductor company is a great way to never be good at anything you do. Sometimes you have to decide who you're going to be.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
By all reports, Johnson is not asking for anything unreasonable in terms of his pay. He's even put a time limit on it. What he really wants are the resources to win a national championship.

If you're serious about wanting to win a NC, this IS the time to send the message to PJ, recruits and supporters.

If you wait for "consistency", at this moment in time, you aren't serious about the program and you'll send that message instead.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
. What he really wants are the resources to win a national championship. .

If you wait for "consistency", at this moment in time, you aren't serious about the program and you'll send that message instead.
100%. I do not doubt the coaches, players, and most fans. But I have questioned "some" in leadership rolls for years.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
By all reports, Johnson is not asking for anything unreasonable in terms of his pay. He's even put a time limit on it. What he really wants are the resources to win a national championship.

If you're serious about wanting to win a NC, this IS the time to send the message to PJ, recruits and supporters.

Think about how close we were to 12-0 this year.
If he has the recruiting and the Hill behind him... Who knows.