Blueprint? What effing Blueprint

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Help me out here. if the offense is run to the count, then it doesn't seem reasonable that the count should always favor us to the backside.What am I missing?

VT would normally fire the G-C gap to the play side (meaning the side the guard was pulling and a-back motioning too). We adjusted by basically running a b-back dive to the opposite side giving us the count advantage and a faster path to clip the MLB with the playside guard. Because they were firing so hard to play side they basically took their DT's out of the play. Hopefully LongestDay can get a slow motion video of this.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I can see happening and I would be fine with it. ( we may need to get more Gummi bears next year for MJ:) )
Just FYI, CPJ was "wrong"... MJ says it was a fruit roll up thingy. When asked about it someone asked him if he had to go to flavor. He just chuckled and said no.[emoji41]

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems the blueprint for a QB is one that can run downhill like JN, TW and MJ yet has speed and can run the TO and pass like JT. Is Lucas Johnson that QB?

In some respects, the BB is probably more critical than the QB. You want a BB that is big enough and fast enough and quick enough to run through any gap. So, big enough to go right up middle over the center, yet fast enough to run off tackle. That said, yes, a QB that can run inside and outside (And pass too) is ideal.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I've seen MJ throw a pretty spiral in plenty of mop up duty and the Spring games. He can throw well, I think he just needs more reps. Also, that's still a great defense VT has so I'm not surprised if he felt a little hurried there and threw some ugly spirals.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think what this game shows is if our defense can play just half decently (they did more than that against VT), and if this offense does what we know it can do, even if it's methodically moving the ball down field, we can play with anyone. It's what most of us have been saying for years. We don't need a lights out defense, just one capable of getting the ball back to our offense a few more times a game, and CPJ's offense will more times than not win the game for us.

Our defense gave up over 400 yards of offense, but our D got stops and turnovers, and our offense kept possession of the football. It was vintage CPJ football.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think what this game shows is if our defense can play just half decently (they did more than that against VT), and if this offense does what we know it can do, even if it's methodically moving the ball down field, we can play with anyone. It's what most of us have been saying for years. We don't need a lights out defense, just one capable of getting the ball back to our offense a few more times a game, and CPJ's offense will more times than not win the game for us.

Our defense gave up over 400 yards of offense, but our D got stops and turnovers, and our offense kept possession of the football. It was vintage CPJ football.
As bad as I have talked about the defense last week, I don't look at the yards they gave up after being ahead 30-7 .I was with Roof at that point let them have the yards just keep them in front of you and let the clock run. ( I can't believe I said that :):))
As long as they can make GTNavyNuke drink 8 beer in each of the last 2 games I'm happy.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As bad as I have talked about the defense last week, I don't look at the yards they gave up after being ahead 30-7 .I was with Roof at that point let them have the yards just keep them in front of you and let the clock run. ( I can't believe I said that :):))

Personally, I kinda hate playing "prevent" defense when up. Keep doing what got you there. We won, but it got tense towards the end when they were surging. I was thinking of the 2012 Monday VT game to open the season. I kept saying "Don't let them repeat that game, Ted!!!"

As to your point about the yards...I agree. They were cheap yards.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Finally I have a game on my DVR worth re-watching. I was at a party where everyone was watching the mutts so I had to watch on my phone. Can't wait to watch the replay. Looking forward to some Longest-Boomer analysis as well!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given the way MJ played today, do we question who starts at QB against UVA, assuming JT is declared ready to go? This will be the last home game of the season and historically we recognize senior starters.

If we start JT, does the midline become a key part of the playbook? It seems we have made the adjustment that defenses have made against us and JT in particular.

I'll say what I've said before :stinkyfeet:, I think JT should start and the backup should come in after two to three series. Given the differences in ability, the opposing defenses would have to prepare for more things. And most importantly, the defenses would have to think more.

And I think that makes sense for next year too. Stay with the guy with the hot hand that day (or better matched against the D that day). Limits wear and tear on our QBs ........ blah, blah, blah.

As long as they can make GTNavyNuke drink 8 beer in each of the last 2 games I'm happy.

I had no expectations for the D yesterday so I figured a beer for each stop. I used to do one for each TD in the early CPJ years with friends at game watchings. But that was too tough on the body. So yesterday, I figured a couple of beers would make for a nice afternoon and get some work done afterwards.

Now the problem is whether to stay with what works or change ...... I'm not superstitious, but whoever stayed in their truck yesterday since it helped the team is superstitious.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So all I've heard is that Bud Foster has given EVERYONE the key to shutting down CPJs Offense. Wonder in can revise his "blueprint" by 2017?????
I dunno. It seems to me you beat Johnson's offense the way you beat any offense, including all the gussied up shotgun/zone reads/read options so favored in today's game. Better athletes. Providing said blueprint without providing said big, fast, aggressive and mobile middle linebacker won't help much. If anybody showed anything I think it was actually ND last season. That guy was terrific and we didn't breath for four quarters, and that is how the season then progressed. (And speaking of the shotgun stuff, I saw Clemson get stuffed on its 4th and one that contributed to their defeat. I don't blame Swinney for going for it. I just don't understand if you have one yard to go why you start the play seven yards behind the scrimmage line. Good way to turn a one yard run into a seven yard run.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
By the way, I do love message boards. We know who should coach and how they should coach and who should play and how they should play, and as an added bonus, we'll throw in firing and recruiting suggestions free. It is great fun, sometimes you learn something, and I will bet coaches read them more than they will admit, but I doubt they take notes.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's not like this is easy or anything, but the biggest knock on MJ is poise. Missing reads and throws and mechanics breaking down. Justin looked like that in 2015, but it's hard to blame him because our OL couldn't block and backs were so inexperienced. This year, things are different.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I dunno. It seems to me you beat Johnson's offense the way you beat any offense, including all the gussied up shotgun/zone reads/read options so favored in today's game. Better athletes. Providing said blueprint without providing said big, fast, aggressive and mobile middle linebacker won't help much. If anybody showed anything I think it was actually ND last season. That guy was terrific and we didn't breath for four quarters, and that is how the season then progressed. (And speaking of the shotgun stuff, I saw Clemson get stuffed on its 4th and one that contributed to their defeat. I don't blame Swinney for going for it. I just don't understand if you have one yard to go why you start the play seven yards behind the scrimmage line. Good way to turn a one yard run into a seven yard run.)

That's exactly my point. After ALL the BS shoveled about Foster and his genius it comes down to what it ALWAYS comes down to. The ability to control the LOS, doesn't matter what offense you're facing, iff you dominate the LOS you dominate the offense :)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly my point. After ALL the BS shoveled about Foster and his genius it comes down to what it ALWAYS comes down to. The ability to control the LOS, doesn't matter what offense you're facing, iff you dominate the LOS you dominate the offense :)
I did note in coverage that Foster acknowledged Johnson was "a step ahead" of him all day. I think those two enjoy competing in that regard.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Was it my imagination did we do more drive ( Power) blocking yesterday and a lot less cut blocking ?
Yes, the above-mentioned trap schemes used SDevine to drive block a double team at the point of attack. That's a 650 pound double team, with Braun pulling to clean up.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not superstitious, but whoever stayed in their truck yesterday since it helped the team is superstitious.

speaking of superstitions, I still don't know after yesterday if I influence the outcomes of games or not. I decided to take a "day off" yesterday from making the game the raison d'etre of my fall Saturday. Packed up my daypack and took off to the mountains with the wife for a day of hiking. When we finished the hike and got back to the car, she took out her "smart phone" (you can actually look up scores and watch games on those things. I may have to get one sometime.My phone just calls people and rings when people call me), Tech (THE Tech) was up 6-0 so I had her look up the nearest sports bar (unbelievable right?). When we got there, the half just ended and GT was up 20-0. Again, all this stuff WAS ON HER PHONE!!!! i swear this is true.

She begged me not to go in and watch. She thought that they had got to 20-0 without me (or maybe, BECAUSE I hadn't watched) and that I would just curse them to the most horrible, Tech like defeat in the history of forever.She loves me and din't want to see my heart get shattered again. Me, undaunted by such rubbish and also smelling smoked chickens wings and cold beer, dismissed her theories of voodoo and jinxes and plunged in. We enjoyed the food, the environment and the game! When we left, I told her I had disproved her juvenile theories as any good logical GT grad would in the face of such nonsense.

But she maintains that the part I watched was a 20-10 victory for the other Tech. I tried to reason with her - talking about the great adjustments by CTR and CPJ, about how MJ allowed us to access some plays that we usually don't run with JET, about the pressure being brought by our DLine and the great play in the secondary by the Austins, about how we really didn't need points after the MM run and was trying to control the clock and how VT basically scored a bunch of points late when we were playing soft, and that we basically controlled the game. However, she is a bit more binary thinker and believes that the outcome would have been different if I had watched both halves. I am really scared that she may be right but I won't tell her that. So, how do I convince her that me watching and the team's performance are independent events? Or did Tech get a big enough lead because I didn't see the first half.?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
speaking of superstitions, I still don't know after yesterday if I influence the outcomes of games or not. I decided to take a "day off" yesterday from making the game the raison d'etre of my fall Saturday. Packed up my daypack and took off to the mountains with the wife for a day of hiking. When we finished the hike and got back to the car, she took out her "smart phone" (you can actually look up scores and watch games on those things. I may have to get one sometime.My phone just calls people and rings when people call me), Tech (THE Tech) was up 6-0 so I had her look up the nearest sports bar (unbelievable right?). When we got there, the half just ended and GT was up 20-0. Again, all this stuff WAS ON HER PHONE!!!! i swear this is true.

She begged me not to go in and watch. She thought that they had got to 20-0 without me (or maybe, BECAUSE I hadn't watched) and that I would just curse them to the most horrible, Tech like defeat in the history of forever.She loves me and din't want to see my heart get shattered again. Me, undaunted by such rubbish and also smelling smoked chickens wings and cold beer, dismissed her theories of voodoo and jinxes and plunged in. We enjoyed the food, the environment and the game! When we left, I told her I had disproved her juvenile theories as any good logical GT grad would in the face of such nonsense.

But she maintains that the part I watched was a 20-10 victory for the other Tech. I tried to reason with her - talking about the great adjustments by CTR and CPJ, about how MJ allowed us to access some plays that we usually don't run with JET, about the pressure being brought by our DLine and the great play in the secondary by the Austins, about how we really didn't need points after the MM run and was trying to control the clock and how VT basically scored a bunch of points late when we were playing soft, and that we basically controlled the game. However, she is a bit more binary thinker and believes that the outcome would have been different if I had watched both halves. I am really scared that she may be right but I won't tell her that. So, how do I convince her that me watching and the team's performance are independent events? Or did Tech get a big enough lead because I didn't see the first half.?
Welcome to my world. I'm not going to be able to watch anymore games because of yesterday. @AE 87 understands what I mean.:cry: