Blueprint? What effing Blueprint

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What MJ has shown is the importance of having a QB that can run midline and between the tackles.

I've been saying it all year, we need to run more plays behind big Shamire. DLs are either letting him release untouched to the 2nd level and having th he LB sweep up or Shamire is wiping the DL out of the play. In either case, there's an easy 4+ yards every time if we're using midline again.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Jordan starts next year, he will have to improve his passing. If not, teams will put 8 or 9 in the box.

that was a great game all around for the Jackets. I think MJ does bring a lot to the table. In addition to your comment, I also want to see him/us run the perimeter stuff a little smoother (no pun intended). Cleaning up the exchanges with the center will certainly improve with more reps between Cooper and MJ. However, if we can win by getting 4 yards every play on just BBack dive and QB follow, that's ok too. I had missed those long clock controlling drives.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What MJ has shown is the importance of having a QB that can run midline and between the tackles.

I've been saying it all year, we need to run more plays behind big Shamire. DLs are either letting him release untouched to the 2nd level and having th he LB sweep up or Shamire is wiping the DL out of the play. In either case, there's an easy 4+ yards every time if we're using midline again.
Agree, and with a QB like MJ you will not see many plays that go for large negative yards. ( I still think JT is our starting QB and should, I'm looking ahead to next year) But in any case if it is MJ or anyone else I will support them.
Remember sometimes the most popular player( with the fans) on a team is the backup QB.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
CPJ made a big adjustment against the way VT plays us. VT historically played off our pulling guards and a-back motion which is why they always disrupted the Bback up the middle. What CPJ did if you noticed was delay the a-back motion slightly and run the bback dive between the backside guard and tackle instead of center guard. It's the first I've seen him do this and to be frank is pure genius to how teams have been playing us. The midline also was a huge weapon today but I give CPJ a ton of credit for figuring this out. Also - the OLine played very well especially for 3 true freshman. Lee and Braun on the left side are great and Shamire played his best game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree, and with a QB like MJ you will not see many plays that go for large negative yards. ( I still think JT is our starting QB and should, I'm looking ahead to next year) But in any case if it is MJ or anyone else I will support them.
Remember sometimes the most popular player( with the fans) on a team is the backup QB.

With MJ, you can run Midline, but it appears CPJ is hesitant to run triple/speed/and tosses with him. Also, we are far weaker in the passing game with MJ. That's a lot of the play book we give up.

With JeT, we don't run near the amount of midline as we should, but he opens up more of the playbook. It's a give and take, but JeT gives us so many more positives over MJ.

I think what we might see next year is MJ playing the Tevin 2012 role with Vad as backup. MJ will be the starter, but someone like Lucas Johnson or Jay Jones will be given snaps and every opportunity to take over. As much as the midline is important, we can't give up so much of the playbook or abandon the passing game like we did against VT.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
that was a great game all around for the Jackets. I think MJ does bring a lot to the table. In addition to your comment, I also want to see him/us run the perimeter stuff a little smoother (no pun intended). Cleaning up the exchanges with the center will certainly improve with more reps between Cooper and MJ. However, if we can win by getting 4 yards every play on just BBack dive and QB follow, that's ok too. I had missed those long clock controlling drives.
Johnson likes to say there is never an excuse for a fumble, and there isn't. But down the road we will look back at this game -- rookie untested and hardly-played center and seldom-used QB and wonder how in the world they had just 2-3 bad exchanges. At the speed of this offense on the field that is pretty remarkable to me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ made a big adjustment against the way VT plays us. VT historically played off our pulling guards and a-back motion which is why they always disrupted the Bback up the middle. What CPJ did if you noticed was delay the a-back motion slightly and run the bback dive between the backside guard and tackle instead of center guard. It's the first I've seen him do this and to be frank is pure genius to how teams have been playing us. The midline also was a huge weapon today but I give CPJ a ton of credit for figuring this out. Also - the OLine played very well especially for 3 true freshman. Lee and Braun on the left side are great and Shamire played his best game.
Help me out here. if the offense is run to the count, then it doesn't seem reasonable that the count should always favor us to the backside.What am I missing?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Given the way MJ played today, do we question who starts at QB against UVA, assuming JT is declared ready to go? This will be the last home game of the season and historically we recognize senior starters.

If we start JT, does the midline become a key part of the playbook? It seems we have made the adjustment that defenses have made against us and JT in particular.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
If we start JT, does the midline become a key part of the playbook? ...

No. Running between the tackles is not JT's strength. If he starts, the play calling will shift back to a perimeter and passing focus with the BB doing any work up the middle.

CPJ noted in the past game pressed that he calls a different game with Jordan since Jordan is more of a downhill runner. That was partly the reason for all of the runs between the tackles against VT (the other reason was adjusting to how VT had been defending GT).

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ noted in the past game pressed that he calls a different game with Jordan since Jordan is more of a downhill runner. That was partly the reason for all of the runs between the tackles against VT (the other reason was adjusting to how VT had been defending GT).

Seems the blueprint for a QB is one that can run downhill like JN, TW and MJ yet has speed and can run the TO and pass like JT. Is Lucas Johnson that QB? If so, he may give competition to MJ in 2017 and/or be the heir apparent in 2018.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Help me out here. if the offense is run to the count, then it doesn't seem reasonable that the count should always favor us to the backside.What am I missing?

Playside usually means the side where the ball is going or the side where the offense acts like ball is going. I think the comment was aimed at the latter - the offense, in part by using the AB motion, sells the playside one way but then the BB takes the ball and goes the other way.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
With MJ, you can run Midline, but it appears CPJ is hesitant to run triple/speed/and tosses with him. Also, we are far weaker in the passing game with MJ. That's a lot of the play book we give up.

With JeT, we don't run near the amount of midline as we should, but he opens up more of the playbook. It's a give and take, but JeT gives us so many more positives over MJ.

I think what we might see next year is MJ playing the Tevin 2012 role with Vad as backup. MJ will be the starter, but someone like Lucas Johnson or Jay Jones will be given snaps and every opportunity to take over. As much as the midline is important, we can't give up so much of the playbook or abandon the passing game like we did against VT.
I can see happening and I would be fine with it. ( we may need to get more Gummi bears next year for MJ:) )

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shamire played his best game.

FSU 2014 ACCCG is still his best game IMO. Not sure he did anything wrong in that game, and he did it against multiple 4/5 star recruits and future NFL players.

Shamire had a VERY good game against VT, and it's possible most of us only noticed because we actually used Midline and the adjustments you outlined. Shamire has been doing good work for the most part this year, but we dont' recognize it because our option plays have been outside the tackle, or the DLs have let him release freely.