Bill Curry's Thoughts

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I agree with Coach Curry. There is a time for criticism. I don't think this is it. The reason is that it's just not going to be productive at all. Adopting a spirit of harsh truth without love at this point is going to do wayyy more harm than good. Saying there was a bad call or a missed block without a "sky falling" attitude is fine. I think Curry is talking more about the absolute declarations or even the stances of high skepticism from this point forward - those kinds of views at this point are both unreasonable and damaging (in the age of social media-based public perception). I truly believe that the best thing George P. GTFan can do for a while is to grow up, look to take the long-view, to give the benefit of the doubt, to be optimistic and excited about what we could be 3 years from now, be "inordinately" supportive (to use a CGC'ism) of the team, and enjoy being a GT fan with other GT fans. That would actually be productive ... it would make GT a more attractive place for future players, future coaches, and future GT fans.

This is coming from someone who felt very strongly about who we should've hired. If we had hired my guy, we would not be in this spot right now. But, we are in this spot right now - which to me is not a surprise at all ... BUT it's very possible we can get to a good spot again. A spirit of grumbling for the next 3 years will do nothing to help us and will hurt us in getting to that good place again. 3 years from now, it is a completely different story. At that point, serious evaluation will be warranted. At that time, I will be ready to make some declarations with my mind either confirmed or changed. That time has not yet come.

You don't bash a kid who is a freshman, you don't ride that young guy as hard as you would a senior/veteran. You expect that freshman to make some mistakes and you try to encourage him along the way so that he doesn't get down on himself. It doesn't mean you don't correct him, it just means your approach should be a little more honey and a little less vinegar. We have a freshman regime/program right now. Expect mistakes and gaffes and inexplicable failure. Support and encourage the program through it right now. Help the program grow up without getting down on itself. You might be surprised the way that kid/program comes out and plays as an upperclassman, if he/it is able to get through the awkward years with a good attitude.

If I sound like Bill Curry, GOOD! Bill Curry optimism and inspiration is exactly what we need right now and for the near future.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This might not be true, but it was also rumored that certain twitter accounts (from following) were deleted (by CGC or other coaches) due to "negative" comments. Yes, that would be "snowflakish". Although, I would agree that those comments are better left on a site like this, since so many of our recruits are twitter followers.

Now, if someone is going over the line using foul language or threatening in any way, I would be the first to say they need to be ostracized and punished, but that is not what we are dealing with mainly - it is mostly just harsh criticism of the coaching performance and historical significance of such a bad loss.
Wouldn't it be malpractice for coaches to not remove/block/etc... negative social media posters from their social media? Those are tools to recruiting.

I think CGC can handle criticism.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with Coach Curry. There is a time for criticism. I don't think this is it. The reason is that it's just not going to be productive at all. Adopting a spirit of harsh truth without love at this point is going to do wayyy more harm than good. Saying there was a bad call or a missed block without a "sky falling" attitude is fine. I think Curry is talking more about the absolute declarations or even the stances of high skepticism from this point forward - those kinds of views at this point are both unreasonable and damaging (in the age of social media-based public perception). I truly believe that the best thing George P. GTFan can do for a while is to grow up, look to take the long-view, to give the benefit of the doubt, to be optimistic and excited about what we could be 3 years from now, be "inordinately" supportive (to use a CGC'ism) of the team, and enjoy being a GT fan with other GT fans. That would actually be productive ... it would make GT a more attractive place for future players, future coaches, and future GT fans.

This is coming from someone who felt very strongly about who we should've hired. If we had hired my guy, we would not be in this spot right now. But, we are in this spot right now - which to me is not a surprise at all ... BUT it's very possible we can get to a good spot again. A spirit of grumbling for the next 3 years will do nothing to help us and will hurt us in getting to that good place again. 3 years from now, it is a completely different story. At that point, serious evaluation will be warranted. At that time, I will be ready to make some declarations with my mind either confirmed or changed. That time has not yet come.

You don't bash a kid who is a freshman, you don't ride that young guy as hard as you would a senior/veteran. You expect that freshman to make some mistakes and you try to encourage him along the way so that he doesn't get down on himself. It doesn't mean you don't correct him, it just means your approach should be a little more honey and a little less vinegar. We have a freshman regime/program right now. Expect mistakes and gaffes and inexplicable failure. Support and encourage the program through it right now. Help the program grow up without getting down on itself. You might be surprised the way that kid/program comes out and plays as an upperclassman, if he/it is able to get through the awkward years with a good attitude.

If I sound like Bill Curry, GOOD! Bill Curry optimism and inspiration is exactly what we need right now and for the near future.

You have quickly become my favorite post to read here. You say what I am thinking (but more eloquently). Please post more often, we need the dose of sanity!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't it be malpractice for coaches to not remove/block/etc... negative social media posters from their social media? Those are tools to recruiting.

I think CGC can handle criticism.

Did you see this in bold below in my original post?

Also, why do we have Bill Curry saying we need to "love everyone" and not be critical of everything, if he doesn't think CGC needs "relief"?

This might not be true, but it was also rumored that certain twitter accounts (from following) were deleted (by CGC or other coaches) due to "negative" comments. Yes, that would be "snowflakish". Although, I would agree that those comments are better left on a site like this, since so many of our recruits are twitter followers.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Did you see this in bold below in my original post?

Also, why do we have Bill Curry saying we need to "love everyone" and not be critical of everything, if he doesn't think CGC needs "relief"?

Right... your comment is good; but my point was only from the coaching staff's perspective. I'd hope if folks aren't doing as you suggest... keeping it on sites like this... coaches should delete negative stuff... doesn't (necessarily) mean its snowflake-ish.

For the record... recruits probably read sites like this too.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Although in spirit, I agree mostly, Vamos. But, there is NO fanbase of any college team that will accept 3 years of what we saw Saturday without "grumbling". I don't think that is possible, but each and every fan/alum has to make that decision for themselves. I don't think we can go 3 years of pain and suffering saying, "kumbaya", and then suddenly bring out the pitchforks. Saturday was a loss of historical proportion, against a team with limited scholarships who lost to Elon and Towson. I just don't know if it is fair to label as "bad guys" the fans/alums who choose to grumble or criticize in a "respectful" fashion. I do think we should be respectful in whatever "grumbling" we do.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right... your comment is good; but my point was only from the coaching staff's perspective. I'd hope if folks aren't doing as you suggest... keeping it on sites like this... coaches should delete negative stuff... doesn't (necessarily) mean its snowflake-ish.

For the record... recruits probably read sites like this too.

Some do read this site, but alums and fans of a major college football team with coaches that make millions should be allowed to speak criticism of what we saw Saturday, as long as it is respectful. I love GT, and I will root for my school's team as long as I live or we don't have a team.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Saying there was a bad call or a missed block without a "sky falling" attitude is fine. I think Curry is talking more about the absolute declarations or even the stances of high skepticism from this point forward - those kinds of views at this point are both unreasonable and damaging
I did not interpret his tweet the same as you. I agree with what are personally saying, but his exact words were "The only thing that can keep us from succeeding is to criticize during hard times." I can't help but take that at face value, and I do not agree with it.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

I get what you are saying but isn't it a little unrealistic ? I mean the coaches themselves use trash talk from other schools to incite the team. I'm just not convinced that in the end all this talk amounts to yelling out a car window. The players may here it in passing but the voices are quickly replaced by another task. I think school, practice, relationships, jobs etc would rank higher in the players minds but then again you were one so maybe im shouting out the window

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Social media changed the scene... there a difference in talking negative over drinks at dinner with a few friends versus sharing the same thoughts with everyone on the planet.

Shoot, when you run down a player, bless their heart, they read your comments on these boards... in fact one called me out because I praised his punt return on Twitter yet question his ability at DB on the boards... of course he went on to be a major part of making 2014 special.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Constructive criticism is the pathway to improvement. Always has been and always will be. You should crave constructive criticism. How much is constructive and how much isn’t is up for debate, but blindly banning criticism is weak. I mean, hell, If anything, the people defending the coaches are being more disrespectful to the players(we have no talent yada yada).

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don’t mean this in a rude way, but when do you think is the time for criticism if not after the worst loss in school history?

I deal with “critics” a lot with my job. I don’t have patience for this.
Do you have to deal with "critics" that have no idea what they are talking about? Do you have to listen to people who use hyperbole to make you look worse without any context and not based on reality? That's what we are dealing with here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

This is well thought out and reasonable, except for one thing. It seems to be operating with the misconception that coaches, players, and forum participants are real people rather than fictional characters created for our entertainment.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

thanks for being a voice of reason. I always say the single most important thing we can do as fans is to show up loud and proud for the next game. All of this social media pissing and moaning does absolutely no good to help the team AT THIS POINT like you say, but I guess some find it cathartic. I don't. I seriously doubt that Collins is meeting with his assistants today saying, "hey guys, we gotta turn this thing around or we're gonna lose our most vocal online supporters. I was reading GTSwarm and we've gotta settle on one QB and quit this platooning clown show."

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Do you have to deal with "critics" that have no idea what they are talking about? Do you have to listen to people who use hyperbole to make you look worse without any context and not based on reality? That's what we are dealing with here.

Actually, yes. And I work in a field that is subjective. When a reviewer for BuzzFeed writes an article about how much I suck(it’s happened) it’s because they don’t like something I’ve made. Cool, but it’s subjective. It made a profit. It couldn’t have been THAT bad, but there’s no right or wrong answer. Football isn’t subjective. You win or you lose. We’re losing and looking bad while doing it.